rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Learn to draw for Pussy and Profit

Learn to draw for Pussy and Profit

I've been drawing on and off, and I'm getting back into it this summer. I have a few resources I can drop.

Peter Han: Dynamic Drawing

Han goes over exercises for improving straight lines, curves, circles, ellipses, and other basic drawing skills. They're good exercises to warm up with before diving into studies.

Robert Norling: Perspective Made Easy

A beginner's guide to understanding perspective. If you want to set the framework for understanding how to draw cubes, furniture, and objects in perspective this is a good place to start. It includes exercises at the end of each chapter to keep your eyes and hands sharp.

Scott Robertson: How to Draw

This goes much further in depth into the technicality of perspective. Making it through to the end of this book and making sure to draw each exercise means you will have a better grasp of perspective. I would say the concepts are more in depth and difficult to grasp, so I suggest checking out Perspective Made Easy before diving into this book.

Michael Hampton: Figure Drawing - Design and Invention

Hampton explains how to draw gestures and then each proceeding chapter builds on the last one. Proko on Youtube has a reliable tutorial for getting the basics of gestures, and quickposes.com has plenty of figures to draw from.

Stephen Rogers Peck: Anatomy for the Artist

Rogers uses drawings and explanations to show the relationship between joints, bones, and other human body parts. It compliments Hampton's books since this knowledge is applicable to drawing the human figure or even those of animals.

Andrew Loomis: Fun with a Pencil

This book gives the artist a tool set to begin constructing figures and faces from imagination. There are tips on proportions for the ideal figure and on placing features on the human head. This builds an artist's ability to construct their drawings from 3D shapes.

Don't let yourself get overly frustrated when drawings don't turn out the way you expect. Although the amount of resources is overwhelming, you'll find yourself jumping back and forth between books often. Personally, I would suggest finding two resources you can alternate studies. For instance, Fun with a Pencil and Dynamic Drawing both mutually benefit each other. Practicing using one of these is going to help you in the other. Monday could be using one book, Tuesday the other, and so on.

The most important part is to keep it fun. Getting burned out means you will be much more willing to completely drop drawing, so find a way to keep it enjoyable and you'll breeze through practicing.

"Their emotional waves will swamp you if you're just quietly-floating, so you need to learn to surf." - AnonymousBosch

||Learn How to Sing Datasheet||

Messages In This Thread