rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

UK Referendum on EU Membership (Brexit) Thread

UK Referendum on EU Membership (Brexit) Thread

Quote: (05-18-2016 04:50 AM)amity Wrote:  

I hope I'm wrong but I suspect the Remain side will still win, either by scaremongering or by fixing the vote if it's looking too close to call.

Four years ago, when Croatia held a referendum about entering the EU, our foreign minister gave an interview two days before the vote in which she said, among other things "well, if you vote No, that's all fine and well, but in that case you can practically forget about your pensions", hinting at the possibility of our credit rating being slashed to the bottom and the country going bankrupt without EU help. Actually, that was pure blackmail when you think about it.

I remember going to the voting booth two days later. Guess what, the place was crawling with senior citizens. The scaremongering worked and 66% of the population voted Yes, with some of the most rural/conservative regions of the country (which are populated mostly by older people) voting overwhelmingly for the entry of Croatia in the EU.

I'm not much familiar with the UK political landscape, but I guess you can expect scaremongering on the same scale to happen to you as well.

Messages In This Thread