rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Vinny's lazy language learning guide (datasheet)

Vinny's lazy language learning guide (datasheet)

I can speak four languages, three of which fluently and the fourth one (Spanish) is currently at the intermediate level. I am pretty sure that after my trip to SA this autumn I will be close to fluent.
I could say I am at beginners level in eight other languages, which means I can count to 10 or 100 say hello, thank you, how are you, where do you live etc. and can understand a little bit.
This result is nothing special. What is different is that I did not really work hard or sit down with books to achieve this.

*Why should you do this?

1. This is a DHV and helps with game.

I was once running "twilight game" with my brother at the Khao San road. We did not go inside of any bars, just going along the road and approaching chicks that were standing outside or walking towards us. We chatted up some Chilean, Dutch, Polish, German, Thai, Russian, Argentinian and French chicks that night. Some of the languages I could speak fluently but in all of those I could at least say 5 to 10 typical beginning of the conversation phrases which really impressed and flattered the girls. Especially with Languages that are not that common like Dutch.

We don't hang out with my bro that often outside of the home country so he straight out thought I am a fucking genius, and I can actually speak all these languages fluently. While that is not true, that is what most people are going to think. Especially when you learn the phrases the way I do (with emphasis on pronunciation)

2. When you are in dating stages and you are picking up words girls love it, they love teaching you, and they love seeing you progress.

3. It boosts your brain. Language learning improves your memory and keeps you sharp. I have read somewhere that each language is stored in a different part of your brain and this way it keeps your brain loaded. So no Alzheimer's for you in old age.

*So how do you do this?

* When you are serious.

Here is the trick. Learning languages is difficult. If something is difficult you will try to find a way not to do it. But there is a way you can actually make your laziness work for you.

Once you get serious with learning a language, and you are in beginner's phase, but feel no progress.

First step

Find a TV episodes or soap opera in the target language, download it or stream it(preferably with subtitles) and start watching. Make sure not to use dictionary at the first stages. Don't stop watching to translate or learn something. Just keep watching and get addicted to the episodes. Once you are addicted you will keep watching it even when you're lazy and few seasons in you will start to notice that you are looking less and less at subtitles and get the grasp of the language.

This is the way we learn language when we are kids. Your brain does all the work behind the scenes. I have a theory about this. I think once you hear a sentence of 5 words, and you only know 2 of them the brain will register the other 3 with some kind of probable meaning, it will also take in account the setting the tone of conversation and all non verbal that is going on at the screen. After the same word is repeated several times in different sentences it gets the meaning shaped up and voila. You know the word without ever translating it.

Next step.

Duolingo.

If you are really serious about the language then at the moments when you are not feeling lazy go to http://www.duolingo.com and learn there. This is also kind of fun way, and it does not take much time.

I did this with Spanish. After watching 3 seasons of Muneca Brava (Argentinian soap opera) with English subtitle on youtube and half year of Duolingo, I can actually speak Spanish. I think I suck, but people complement me.

Next step.

Spoof your Tinder to a country that speaks your target language. In my case I was spoofing to Bogota for Spanish. Start chatting with girls. Take their whatsapp. Even if you suck call them and chat. I am at this step right now, and I feel the progress. I complain to girls how much I suck, they say "no preocupes" and teach me Spanish.

Benefit, if the girl is cute and you are actually planning to visit a place, after hours of phone conversation you are probably going to make sweet love to her on the moment of your arrival.

* When you are not serious.

Develop a habit.

Wherever you go if you date girls or generally meet people ask them. Ask them how things are called. When you want to say thank you to the waiter ask him how do you say thank you in your language. Then repat it few times. Pay attention to the actual way he says it. Because the pronunciation is important. There is one 6 word phrase in German that I've learned few years ago. I don't even know how to write it correctly it goes something like this "ich wunshe inen einen angeneimen aufentat". It means I wish you good luck or something of that sort. Each time I meet a German I say it. They say I almost have no accent and it sounds really cool to people (girls) around you.

You see light sparkle in people eyes when they think you can speak their language. And even if you can't really, they already like you.

* When you are semi-serious

Download a language learning audiobook. Put it on your phone. Don't get too serious about it. Just once you're bored listen to it like you listen to the music. You might even like it. Gives you a great grasp on pronunciation. Trust me. Do it for few weeks. You will now have a lot of phrases you can randomly use. I don't know how it works and why the brains chooses some phrases over the others, but trust me some of them will stay with you forever. If you suddenly get serious about the language just follow the previously described steps.

*Other thoughts on this subject.

Some guys are troubled about not knowing what to say to a girl. Well if a girl speaks any other languages now you know one more subject.

Once you know 3 languages or more, it gets easier. Your brain develops ways to learn words efficiently. Three of the languages I speak fluently are from different branches of indo-european languages. For example English is a Germanic language with a lot of Latin influence. Learning English will make learning German and Spanish easier. Learning Russian will allow you to understand Ukrainian, and learning Polish will be easier.

*Summary.
Don't get too serious. Use your laziness to your advantage. Learn like children do. Use language learning as a tool to get connected to people (girls).

I hope some of you will find this useful.

Messages In This Thread