rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Are alpha males born alpha or raised that way?

Are alpha males born alpha or raised that way?

I'm also not a big fan of people who focus on alpha/beta dynamics too much, but they are certainly very powerful in a lot of ways.

I don't remember where I read this; however, in many species, males that are thrust into an alpha role unexpectedly will suddenly begin exhibiting alpha behaviors and body language, as if "rising" to the role, with a testosterone surge to boot. The same man can exhibit different levels of these characteristics throughout his lifespan.

So, I'd definitely say both is possible.

Quote: (03-26-2016 03:08 AM)CodyB Wrote:  

Traits include, in no particular order
Physical Strength
1. Tall
2. Broad Shouldered
3. Keen
4. Assertive
5. Ambitious
6. Brazen
7. Decisiveness
8. Outgoing personality
And there's definitely more

Outgoing personality is not exactly a trait of all "alphas" or even leaders - that's largely a myth (an understandable one) embraced and perpetuated by our society. Read "Quiet" and "The Charisma Myth" for info on this (both written by women and not explicitly about alpha/beta dynamics, per se, but they're backed by lots of research and the concepts are very transferable). This approach can certainly help, but it's not necessarily a given, and it's possible to overdo it to a point where you come across as too supplicating, and therefore weak.

"The Charisma Myth" especially delves into some other leadership styles that carry a very strong draw - more important than being outgoing, I'd say, is being fully engaged and present in the interactions that you do have (or at least the ones that count).

I say this as a pretty outgoing person, so I'm not just blowing smoke into my own communication style here. And I do personally value being outgoing - used correctly it carries plenty of power and opens lots of doors, that's for sure.

As for being tall or broad-shouldered as prerequisites for alphaness, I'm also not so sure. Maybe that was the case at one time, but humans are very complex now. Another interesting dynamic I've read about is that when a bigger man is with a smaller, less physically capable man who has a more alpha frame, you can actually observe the bigger man subconsciously trying to "shrink" his body language to accomodate the small alpha, and I think this applies to other species as well.

That just goes to show how much the intensity of the heart, personality, and mind really count for - and while some of that temperament lies in genetics, these things can be fostered to a very decent degree. Simply changing your body language carries huge, measurable results - both internally and externally.

Finally, if by being keen you mean intelligent, I think that one would be tough to argue. Certainly it carries power, but I've met plenty of confident, alpha types that aren't all that bright. Some have their own kind of intelligence; others are just alpha through brute physicality or personality alone.

I think the biggest steps you can take for the fastest changes in this part of your psyche are working on your self-talk and your body language - and finding ways to take on roles that require more leadership. Working out obviously helps but I'd say focusing on the mental is more reliable. Work out anyways, though, of course. It's certainly part of the chain.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Messages In This Thread