rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Any of you guys ever have Allergy Shots?

Any of you guys ever have Allergy Shots?

Quote: (03-23-2016 08:17 PM)Mr.GoodThread Wrote:  

Based on my lifestyle choices and the schedule that I've set up for myself, I probably would be able to commit to it and not miss any appointments. I just don't think that I'm ready to put up with the hassle right now at this point in my life, and the constant needle pokes for something that only works for some people and not for others. I get itchy eyes, nasal drip, headaches sometimes, so it's pretty annoying. I am allergic to shellfish, pet dander, dust mites, cockroaches, and a couple of other things like pollen or certain trees. It's been worse this last year, but I think that's because I've had other weaknesses in my body that have allowed the allergy symptoms to wreak havoc.

I probably wouldn't be helped at all on the food allergy front, but maybe the shots would be helpful for environmental allergens in the air and pet dander. Still, I'm not ready for them yet since they're not guaranteed to work.

I'd get them for free now since my insurance covers it, but I'm not sure if it isn't better to find the best doctor in NYC and pay for him to do it.

I'm rambling, I will see how things progress and reassess.

I have some 2nd hand experience with this.

After moving to New Orleans, my wife was getting crippling sinus headaches. She consulted an allergist, and had the panel test done. She's ranked 3 or 4 (most allergic) to the majority of allergens on the panel, so decided to start on the shots in hopes of avoiding the awful headaches.

This was almost 18 months ago. The program entails twice weekly visits to the allergist for shots with progressively larger amounts of allergen, which in theory builds up the body's natural immune response. She's currently on the last set of bottles, the "red tops," after which she will be done with the program.

Though she still has the occasional sneezing fit, she has not had a crippling headache since shortly after starting the program. For this reason, she feels all the effort, expense ($13/shot after insurance, your mileage may vary), and inconvenience was worth it.

The allergist explained that an allergic person's tolerance is like a bucket -- exposure to a few allergens won't necessarily trigger an immune response/symptoms. But each exposure to each allergen adds a little more to the bucket. When the bucket overflows, that's when symptoms appear.

http://drlarsen.com/allergies-and-the-bu...-toxicity/

So in addition to the shots, we took the following steps to try to keep her "bucket" as empty as possible:

-- Special allergen-trapping filters in the furnace/AC
-- Hepa filter in the bedroom
-- Special dust-mite-blocking mattress cover and pillow cases

Her doc told her that the most common allergy is to dust mite feces, and the most likely place to encounter that stuff is in the bedroom, and because you spend so much time there, the focus should be that room. Vacuum and dust the hell out of the bedroom, dust regularly, and get the Hepa filter.

Good luck.

Messages In This Thread