rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Rich and Famous Men Still Get Played Volume V: The Amir Johnson Story

Rich and Famous Men Still Get Played Volume V: The Amir Johnson Story

Quote: (08-20-2015 02:33 PM)MY DETROIT PLAYAS Wrote:  

Quote: (08-20-2015 12:20 PM)Deuce Anna Half Wrote:  

Quote: (08-20-2015 11:18 AM)Mr West Wrote:  

At this point is hard to even say whether or not these NBA players make these horrible decisions because they come from self-destructive backgrounds (poverty, single motherhood) or if getting some of the checks these guys see during the peak of their careers messes with their judgement. In any case I wonder if we will stop seeing a lot of these cases when condom-less birth control finally arrives? Something is gonna have to give to stop the bleeding of these athletes.

I think that's a major part of this. It's rare (probably never) that you hear of these kinds of stories with guys who had their fathers in the picture. I get the feeling when male birth control hits the number will go down, but it's not gonna be cut out completely.

The absent dad factor is something I've spent some time thinking about recently

It probably would be safe to say having a constant male figure would be invaluable for guys like these, even though when dad hits the bricks a lot of guys have a HS/College coach who fills this role.

From the time they show some promise in their respective sport, they have been told they were special and singled out from their peers. Many times, without the proper 'balance' in place. The male influences the kid does come in contact with, usually want something from him instead wanting to impart him with something valuable.

When he has a strong male presence, it can serve as a guide and road map through a lot of life's winding roads. He checks the young man's ego, by challenging him, breaking him down to build him back up. Every check needs a balance.

Literally some young men grow seeking that male's approval and seeking his counsel, albeit not perfect but a hell of a lot better than the advice of his peers who don't have much more life experience than he himself does.

Almost the blind leading the blind

Many times, once guys get to this type of elite level despite modern-day examples they can feel they are immune to getting caught up. Then when they do - it's too late.

Even Mike Tyson has said that his life unraveled once his coach passed away.

Messages In This Thread