rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What do you consider smart?

What do you consider smart?

I think there are two factors to consider. I consider intelligence to be like mental horsepower. This is raw talent. People with this kind of talent can learn complex math or other hard subjects, beyond the ability of normal people. I know a guy who at 80 years old can still do partial differential equations and other hard engineering math in his head from first principles. He just sees the math behind engineering problems. It's almost intuitive. He had to study it and learn it, but once he learned it, he understood it so clearly that he doesn't have to remember a lot of detailed steps to solve the problems. He just understands it. This is an example of what I mean by raw brainpower.

On the other hand, I think there is a kind of ability to interact with the real world, to see how things work, to control yourself and get work done. Real smartness that is recognized by other people comes when you can harness your brainpower to accomplish real tasks, that are too complex or conceptually difficult for other people to do.

Raw brainpower alone doesn't enable this. A lot of people with high brainpower are dysfunctional, and are probably not widely recognized as smart. Smart people are the ones who can deliver solutions to hard problems.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage

Messages In This Thread