rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Mississippi Gun-Store Owner and Son Die in Shootout with Customers

Mississippi Gun-Store Owner and Son Die in Shootout with Customers

Quote: (01-25-2016 04:27 PM)spokepoker Wrote:  

I love my guns, and I love owning a ton of them. But I would be in favor of some sort of testing/licensing required before owning, like how you have to test for getting a driver's license. In my state you don't need to register your guns, which I'm fine with, but any idiot over 18 can buy a gun. For a hunting license, you need to take a class and get certified. It goes over what is legal in which hunting areas at times of the year, and safety and whatever else. The class isn't required if you are above a certain age (I'm guessing because that shit used to be taught in school before the 80's).
Anyways, if you want to buy a gun, be required to take safety class and pass a test showing you aren't a complete moron, and you will be a responsible gun owner.

I worked at a pistol range back in the day, so I've seen lots of stupid shit. My own father was one of them, I rented a gun out to him, range fee, ammo, targets, etc., and since he was my father, I figured him to have common sense about it. On the range monitors I watched him put rounds into a mag, insert mag, retract slide, then AD into the side panel of the lane he was in (it's made of 3/4" steel). I knew he had gun hunting with his friends before, so I figure he knew the safety rules of operating a gun, so I didn't run him through operations and handling, like I would any other newbie.

Older people need to be treated with caution. The same with driving a car. Last time I went shooting with my dad I got all over his case for sloppy handling. I don't care how well I know someone, I'm right on their case after seeing sloppy handling. And he had private training.

All licensing does is remove agency from those close by, as they assume the licensee knows what they're doing. Responsible ranges that I've been to have strict range officers that are right there, ready to stop people doing ADs or shooting off target. They also vet people for certain areas.

Always use your better judgement, regardless of paperwork.

Messages In This Thread