rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Ultimate Martial Arts/Combat Sports/Boxing Thread

The Ultimate Martial Arts/Combat Sports/Boxing Thread

(Today 03:06 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks forms (kata) are pretty worthless, or at least compared to other forms of training when it comes to technique and real world application? That's one thing I didn't like in Kung Fu, I learned the two sets of forms to get the yellow sash, but I never practiced them and have more or less forgot the movements or at least the sequence and order they go in. I've always thought that hitting pads or training going back and forth with gloves was more useful over all.

[I thought this way a while ago.

You need to take them for what they are, part of the ceremonial process or moving up a level. They also serve as points for the students to take techniques and alter them in ways that are more adaptable for their purposes.

It's basically an introduction into the techniques you will/should be using during sparring. Since way back when before the internet having a set of kata would easily allow someone to share various techniques, since each set would have x techniques it'd be a bit easier to not forget a technique that you may use less but others may find useful.

Nothing really beats sparring, but technique practice and drilling is also extremely important.]Quote
Dude you should never stop doing the fundamental / principal forms and standing in tma , more you do it more depth you get. Standing with proper circulation can build up qi/energy, you can literally feel it going through your body from your feet to your head and your body becoming softer, your stance becomes more rooted after several months if you don't cum and best minimal/no sexual activities unless you do sexual yoga/qigong. Even more effects after years.
Ofc you still do sparring or two man exercises, but forms get more power and speed as you do them. Like you said, technique practicing is important, even in boxing or Muay thai, you never stop doing your basic punches and kicks and comboes even if you sparr often. Combo strikes and grappling moves are forms lol.

Messages In This Thread