rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

YMG does Chiang Mai

YMG does Chiang Mai

I lived in Chiang Mai for the past 3 years and am now traveling through Vietnam, and I must admit I'd rather be in Chiang Mai right now. I left because I somehow felt guilty for being in the same place for so long and not seeing more of Southeast Asia (lol) and mostly because Chiang Mai is obviously not on the ocean, which drove me a bit crazy.

But as a place to live, a home base, it is the nuts. I stayed pretty far off the tourist trail and made good friends with a group of university students who I've had some of the best times of my life with.

I'll back up what YMG said about it being more difficult for white guys though, and I am a white guy. If you want to frequent the tourist areas and of course girlie bars, it falls in your lap, but if you want to hit up middle class/high society spots like Warm-up, Fine Thanks, Fashion House (closed I think) Fabrique, and such than it's a completely different ball game (some of the women in these establishments are out of this world hot- maybe not based on body but that sexy and glamorous look).

I'm not some big player but I've always held my own when it comes to women. In Chiang Mai, I was really out of my element. Sure, I got play, but I feel like the quality of the women I pulled back in the states was quite a bit higher...and that's not really what we have in mind when on the international scene, is it?

The main problem as I understand it is that there is a real stereotype about women who date white guys - most are considered prostitutes or gold diggers - and due to the complete duds most tourists hang with when they go there I can see why.

This isn't Bangkok and is a small city comparably. It's actually quite big, but that's the feeling; you see see the same people over and over when you've been around for a while. For that reason, the women are a little more conscious of their rep than in BKK. The women are expected to act a certain way, and even if they don't, they like to keep up that front.

I met guys from other Asian countries or Asian/Americans who did just fine. The vast majority of women dating white guys were a joke, on one level or another.

Sorry to grind the race card even harder, but this was my experience, even if I did love living there.

And oh yea, I second that European chicks there aren't much to look at either as well.

@gringoed
There are a couple decent gyms in Chiang Mai that are not focused on MMA. The nicest (but a ripoff for short-term memberships) is California Fitness in Airport Plaza Mall. If you're into swimming, they've got an olympic size swimming pool at the 700 year stadium but a shitty weight room. They've also got a driving range, hiking trails, shooting range, b-ball courts and other activities. Another huge pool can be found at CMU.

My favorite gym for plush pool and somewhat decent weight room is on the 5th floor of Dangtawan Hotel. Jacuzzi tub, steam rooms, saunas, yoga, the works...And when doing laps in the big L-shaped pool it feels like you're working out in a resort. Nice.

Other gyms can be found in the Chiang Mai Lotus (ok but nice pool) and Hillside Condo 4.

YMG - you've obviously done more traveling than I have. Any tips on a "Chiang Mai by the sea?" lol But where the dating scene is more welcoming to Caucasians (no pay to play for me)? That's essentially what I"m looking for at the moment...Anyone else feel free to chime in as well.

cheers

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Messages In This Thread