rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Increasing Rise Of A Sex-Negative Narrative In Australia

The Increasing Rise Of A Sex-Negative Narrative In Australia

Quote: (10-18-2015 09:02 AM)glugger Wrote:  

My conclusion from looking through it is that it's just a coincidence, there doesn't seem to be any real increase of 'shirted' covers compared to past years (unless you are comparing it to greater than 5 years ago, in which case I can't comment).

Is it possible there's online and in-store versions of the covers?

Here's what I see when I search for Men's Health Australia covers 2015, blocking out doubles and wrong results.

[Image: 4U4hgdG.jpg]

Still some shirtless, showing off the physique, but a fair number are clothed. I find this really weird for a fitness magazine.

However, same search for Men's Fitness:

[Image: H6cDaER.jpg]

[Image: huh.gif]

Even more interesting are the pictures inside the magazines based on the cover stars. The famous men are more likely to be dressed than not.

[Image: _main_mark.jpg?itok=ZXmUyt2y]

[Image: 3d187af719686a147dd63abbae9ac88b.jpg]

[Image: 89227f8a93a9f3b9f4116200322766b8.jpg]

[Image: pratt-menshealth-060515spgcn.jpg]

I'd suggest these magazines are now really being marketed towards sexually-awkward millennial females, not men who are seeking aspirational fitness. These girls want to swoon over celebrity men, but don't want to feel sexually-threatened by him. So, cover him up. Get a soap star in there.

I'd tie this into both the Anti-Sex Feminist Brigade targeting supermarkets, and the fact that any Writer for these magazines is likely to be a male feminist. It's possible it's also about desexualisation in the aid of allow viral sharing of content, as Playboy is doing. It's fascinating. I'll keep observing.

Messages In This Thread