rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Quality of Life: Los Angeles vs NYC

Quality of Life: Los Angeles vs NYC

I think I suggested Flushing the last time you made this kind of inquiry. I don't think the cost of rent for a good place will be much of an issue in that part of Queens (the high rents are mainly an issue in the neighborhoods near Manhattan), and expenses such as groceries aren't nearly as bad as they are in Manhattan either.

One of my concerns is your being able to get to JFK within 45 minutes, since you'll have to get to the Airtrain in Jamaica (5 minute-trip to the airport terminals). Getting there requires either the subway or a limited bus (Q44). The former should be a bit quicker but it's not as direct as the bus, involves two train lines, and could be a bit unpredictable; the latter is a more direct trip but it's a popular bus route in the county and runs along Main St., which is often busy within Flushing. It's not uncommon to a number of packed buses. Either way, you would ideally want to be as close to the intersection of Main St. and Roosevelt Ave.

Flushing is also a very busy area in terms of foot traffic (comparable to busy areas of Manhattan), and not exactly the cleanest place. I've heard some people say that it was more Chinese than China, but I wouldn't know about that in too much depth.

Another area that just came to my head is Elmhurst, specifically along the Broadway corridor (south of Roosevelt Ave.). That stretch has predominantly the same kind of demographic as Flushing as well as a subway line that goes to Jamaica (20-minute ride or so). It's not nearly as busy as Flushing, and its rents aren't exactly through-the-roof either; but to avoid having to take two trains, it's best to stay near the intersection of Broadway and Roosevelt Ave in order to directly get the E train headed toward Jamaica. Not to the north of that intersection, though, since that's Jackson Heights, which has a south Asian (Indian, Pakistani, Nepalese) community. Stick strictly to the south if you want east Asians.

Messages In This Thread