rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Kimmel chokes up over Cecil the lion

Kimmel chokes up over Cecil the lion

Quote: (07-29-2015 01:03 PM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

Quote: (07-29-2015 12:47 PM)AntiTrace Wrote:  

There once was a time where U.S. Presidents went on hunting expeditions.

There once was a time where humans killing animals was expected in order to survive.

There once was a time when people realized that a human killing an animal is essentially the same as an animal killing another animal (I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and assume that Cecil wasn't a vegetarian).

But I digress...

This is not the same kind of hunting that Teddy Rooseveld experienced. The objection isn't to hunting in general, but to what is called "canned" hunting, which basically means hunting with most of the uncertainty, danger and unpleasantness of hunting removed in exchange for a (large) fee. Canned hunting is the beta version of hunting. It usually means that the animal is confined to an extremely small fenced area, or is specifically lured into place by others (as in this case) so there is very little sport or skill exercised by the person taking the shot.

To explain why it is reasonable to object to canned hunting consider what you would think if the next report you hear is of another hunter who has paid the Bronx Zoo $100,000 to come in after closing hours, stand by the bars caging its oldest lion, shoot it and then pose for a picture pretending to be a big game hunter. Obviously an exaggeration, but canned hunting sets things up so comfortably that any reference to Teddy Roosevelt and other from the past just make no sense.

PS: I'm not opposed to hunting and have been hunting myself (Springbok, Kudu). The problem is where hunting is turned into something more like you'd see at an abattoir. No sport.

That's not reasonable. It's just your opinion based on what you consider sporting and what's sporting or unsporting when it comes to hunting is highly subjective. For example, if this was any other forum you'd be one-upped by some keyboard warrior who never even goes outside. They'd say something stupid along the lines of: 'OH YEAH? Well if he was a real man and actually sporting he'd take the lion on with a knife!'

Why do you care whether what he's doing is sporting or not, anyway? Trophy hunting is as old as time and if you don't like it that's cool but the dick-measuring shaming and moral signaling is sad. Do you want the approval of anti-hunting activists or do you actually believe this?

Furthermore, how much uncertainty do you realistically think Teddy experienced walking around on the Savannah in the middle of the day hunting lions with a rifle and occasionally having native guides rustle them out of the bushes for him?

About the same, I imagine.

EDIT: You were just one-upped. You're no longer a "real hunter" according to Soothesayer, Bad Hussar.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

Messages In This Thread