rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Apartment Rental Sites Compared

Pretty decent article comparing the different apartment sites:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/tra...ref=travel

The sites compared are:

http://www.airbnb.com/

http://www.homeaway.com/

http://roomorama.com/

http://vrbo.com/

http://tripadvisor.com/vacationrentals

Which ones do you guys use the most?

Why?

I meant to pose this question myself since I'll be staying in rentals in my future travels. No more hotels for me! So all info on how to go by picking week-rentals or even a datasheet on the process would be much appreciated.

Another one:

http://www.flipkey.com/

As some of you may remember me mentioning, Airbnb is what I usually go with. They just have the best collection of DHV pads and are globally present. I've used them in Barcelona and Montreal with no complaints at all.

However, the site has changed somewhat since that big story happened where a girl in SF got her crib ransacked by a criminal who used false information to stay at her place.

Now, Airbnb offers insurance to hosts who rent out their places, so that's resulted in higher commission fees for the site.

Quote: (01-20-2012 09:03 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

As some of you may remember me mentioning, Airbnb is what I usually go with. They just have the best collection of DHV pads and are globally present. I've used them in Barcelona and Montreal with no complaints at all.

However, the site has changed somewhat since that big story happened where a girl in SF got her crib ransacked by a criminal who used false information to stay at her place.

Now, Airbnb offers insurance to hosts who rent out their places, so that's resulted in higher commission fees for the site.

I tried airbnb for the first time on your recommendation.

I sent some cat a message but it ended up sending the same message to the cat 5 times in a row.

Then I sent him an email letting him know that wasn't me sending the message in such a spazzy fashion.

That was 2 days ago, and he still hasn't responded.

The cat probably thinks I am a nutcase.

Either way, I got another apartment from vrbo that same day, so it didn't really matter.

But Airbnb so far has been "Airball" for me.

Of course, I am not writing the site off, and will try again for sure. Pretty funny though.

I am sure normally it works good.

Quote: (01-20-2012 10:19 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (01-20-2012 09:03 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

I tried airbnb for the first time on your recommendation.

I sent some cat a message but it ended up sending the same message to the cat 5 times in a row.

Then I sent him an email letting him know that wasn't me sending the message in such a spazzy fashion.

That was 2 days ago, and he still hasn't responded.

The cat probably thinks I am a nutcase.

Either way, I got another apartment from vrbo that same day, so it didn't really matter.

But Airbnb so far has been "Airball" for me.

Of course, I am not writing the site off, and will try again for sure. Pretty funny though.

I am sure normally it works good.

Damn. Sorry to hear that. That actually might be a situation that apparently airbnb was supposed to have fixed from what I read. There were complaints in the past of people having up listings that were no longer available and they neglected to log into their accounts to take them down. Airbnb has introduced a measure to address this issue, but I don't know what the timetable is for how long a host can have up a listing before it expires should he not go through certain steps to confirm its availability.

In the instances where I booked accommodations through the site, I heard back from the listers same day.

You should definitely give it a go the next time you do some short-term apartment hunting. If this problem was a regular occurrence, then the site wouldn't be so popular and definitely wouldn't be highlighted in the New York Times article you dropped.

Btw, did you use it in California?

All those sites that try to serve the entire world are the most expensive.

I've had the best luck using a simple google search: city name + (apartment OR flat)

New travel guide: "Places with no listings for AirBnB".

Quote: (01-20-2012 10:48 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

I've had the best luck using a simple google search: city name + (apartment OR flat)

Agreed. You can find some gems on airbnb, but for the most part you're going to pay 100-500% markup over the market value on all those sites. You have to go straight to the local market unless you like getting gouged. That generally means, unfortunately, that you actually have to be there to look at places in person and not just book online and get a feel for the local real estate market. I've yet to find an efficient, cost-effective way to find such accommodation - it's always a pain unless you're willing to pay a lot extra for the convenience.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

You are getting a degree of security when using this kind of site. If you are unfamiliar with the market you are looking at then it can be challenging free-styling it from ads. Also the chances of walking into a scam are higher that way.

Quote: (01-21-2012 05:53 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

You are getting a degree of security when using this kind of site. If you are unfamiliar with the market you are looking at then it can be challenging free-styling it from ads. Also the chances of walking into a scam are higher that way.

Perhaps find someone on the forum who already lives there or in that country to help you out. For example you could help somebody out whose going to Sweden, and there's a few Brazilian guys on the forum too. They could at least point out trusted local real estate sites etc.

Yes, AirBnB does have huge markups.

However, did you guys know that you can negotiate prices? If you're staying for longer than a week, simply message the owner and ask for a discount. I've received discounts of 50% off the list price making the price comparable to the local apartment site.

Just tell the landlord that the local site has a similar apartment available for 50% less and see if he bites. They often do.

Quote: (01-21-2012 02:24 AM)Soma Wrote:  

Quote: (01-20-2012 10:48 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

Agreed. You can find some gems on airbnb, but for the most part you're going to pay 100-500% markup over the market value on all those sites. You have to go straight to the local market unless you like getting gouged. That generally means, unfortunately, that you actually have to be there to look at places in person and not just book online and get a feel for the local real estate market. I've yet to find an efficient, cost-effective way to find such accommodation - it's always a pain unless you're willing to pay a lot extra for the convenience.

Either of you ever been burned?

Or had less than satisfactory experience from the "freestyle method"?

One thing you can do if you're staying somewhere long term, is to rent a place for a month, and then when you meet the owner, if you like the place, work something out for subsequent weeks/months and bypass the agency. Some of them are ok with that. Also, while you're "on the ground" during that first month you'll be able to do a thorough search for other options.

How about craigslist? Anyone ever try that?

There are two listings on Craigslist. One is for rooms, and one is for apartments. The first one is people renting out rooms and looking for roommates. The second is for actual apartments.

The room/roomate lists is all kinds of people. Some are looking to find a friend who wants to share. Others own a place and just have a room to rent so they can make some extra cash.

The second is a tough call. It mostly seems to be flooded with apartment locator services and other bullshit. It's often just a few people posting over and over again. You really have to look through the list to find some good stuff.

This is the main problem with free sites. People just post over and over and over again and again. In one week, it's not unusual to see the same ad four times.

It was better and easier to find a place when it was just classified ads in the newspaper. Those people had to pay for ads so they were actually serious. And they had to pay to post ads repeatedly.

Anyone have any suggestions on good rental sites?