rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advantages to speaking the local language-DR

Pretty obvious that there is lots of advantages to speaking the local language. Just thought i'd write a quick example i just experienced.
I'm in Cabarete, Dominican Republic right now. My spanish is pretty much fluent.
So i'm walking along the beach, by myself, checking everything out. Cabarate is known for kite surfing. I smiled and gave a quick eye brow raise to a dominican who was messing around on the beach with the kite used to guide the surfers. He was flying through the air for at least 5 seconds without a board. I started laughing and began a conversation with him. He told me he is a kite surfing instructor at a place nearby. I had already been to the place he worked at and they wanted to charge me $40 to go kitesurfing for an hour. I small talked with him (in spanish) for about 10 minutes and he told me i can use his gear for $25 for an hour. He gave me the lesson for almost half price. We did have to walk to where the beach curved so the german guys who work at his shop didn't see us. He told me he is tired of all the "white people" who come to his city who don't speak spanish. By the way i saw him kitesurf when i was done with my lesson and this guy is the real deal. He was definitely one of the best kitesurfers out there.

#2.) I'm walking back to my hotel along the beach. A dominican guy starts talking to me in Enlish and i told him, "no hablo ingles". I told him i'm from italy and i lived in spain when i was young so that is why i speak spanish. the guy ended up being a pimp and he told me he was trying to get me to go take a look at his girls. I told him i'm not interested in that. I changed the subject, and started asking if he has kids, if he had other work, if he surfs etc.. He was walking with me along the beach and i asked him if he wanted to grab a beer at one of the bars. He said sure, and now i'm drinking beer with a pimp. We have good conversation about domincans (how everything works around here and nearby cities etc.) He told me lots of prostitutes can slip drinks in tourists drinks blah blah. (By the way if you're looking for prostitutes, go to Sosua). He also told me some of them do crack so are dangerous sometimes. Apparently, a crackhead prostittue did this to him in santo domingo (in his younger days) and she then stole 9,000 pesos from him. I told him crack is bad but I do like coke. He said he sells it, but only to tourists who are looking for at least 3 grams and who purchase a girl from him. He said he usually charges $80 a gram but since i am his "friend" (I bought him a beer, gave him 2 cigarettes, and exchanged stories with him) he would give it to me for $35 a gram plus he would let me sample it. So we went to an alleyway where no tourists were to be found. Straight dominicans here. I was getting some pretty nasty looks. They are all dark and i am pretty white. We went into a tiny shop with a guy and girl working there and they got mad at the guy for bringing me there. He said "it's okay, he is my friend". I started talking to them in spanish and my charm wore off on them quick haha. they gave me a beer while the guy went to go get the coke from his house. the guy told me he can't take me to his house because his roomate would freak out because apparently they have pounds of it at his place. He came back 5 minutes later and I sampled it. I kept talking to him and it hit me within a few minutes. Fucking good blow for super cheap!
I did it 2 hours ago so it is worn off at this point. Me and the pimp exchanged numbers. Cool dude. He is a 29 years old but looks like he is 22. Plays baseball. Hustles. He said he has friends who are not prostitutes who he can introduce me to tonight. I don't know if i am going to meet up with him but i doubt i would have gotten this type of treatment had i only spoke english.
If i didn't speak spanish i probably would have gotten ripped off, and i would've felt much more threatened when i went into the sketchy alleyway.

Awesome story. Raw and True.

Good shit, Sly. How tough is the Dominican accent to understand? I think I remember reading Mixx and he said he is fluent in Spanish and can barely understand Dominicans and Puerto Ricans. Did their accent not seem too bad to you? My Spanish is for shit, I spent 3 months in Spain studying (mostly partying) when I was 19, about 8 years ago. Would really like to go live somewhere like DR where I could chill on the beach, live cheap, chase girls and improve upon my Spanish.

DR Spanish is awful. Its not even Spanish.

Example :

Spanish - Hello = hola
DR - Hello = que lo que

Quote: (12-29-2011 09:26 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

How tough is the Dominican accent to understand? Did their accent not seem too bad to you? My Spanish is for shit, I spent 3 months in Spain studying (mostly partying) when I was 19, about 8 years ago. Would really like to go live somewhere like DR where I could chill on the beach, live cheap, chase girls and improve upon my Spanish.

I think Spaniards accent is much harder to understand. It is not so much an accent which tends to throw non-native speakers off, but the slang. Personally, I have no problems with their accent. I kind of like it. It's pretty sexy on the woman. You should see this girl who works at the grocery store. She is as exotic as it gets, throw in the dominican accent to go with it and she has me falling in love. I am going to ask her out for a drink next time i go there.

DR is a great place to chill on the beach, live cheap, and practice your spanish. My room is $20 a night and right next to all the action.
As far as chasing girls, it depends what kind of girls you're into. I'm not too into black chicks and most the chicks here have a lot of black in them..
Then again, i am in the international watersport city of Cabarete where there's tons of tourists. I will update when I go to Santiago and other cities which aren't as touristy.

Good story but I just don't get the allure of cocaine; its expensive, makes you nose bleed and fucks with your dick (ED style), I'll stick to booze and ganja!

How long did it take you to become fluent, or did you really learn as a child in Spain? Could you give some kind of timeline to your progression?

I did not grow up in Spain. I merely said this so I had an excuse to say that I don't speak English.
The reality is, I learned Spanish as a kid because my Mom is from Mexico.
I lived in Spain for 6 months one year ago so I can replicate there accent well.
I know there are some other guys on here who have sucessfully learned Spanish through school, books and programs. Do a search for it. Good Luck!