rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Sheikh Ali-B s brillant idea inspired me and I was looking at a site for real estate in Chiang Mai, Thailand and I couldn't believe the deals available there. I thought it would be nice to have 2-4 guys from the forum get together and get a sick pad, or even a mansion in CM, split the cost and have a ball there.

Take a look at this:
4 Bedroom Villa With A Pool

4 bedroom house/mansion with a swimming pool for 35k Baht (1166$!)/month, so between 2, 3 or even 4 guys, it would come to next to nothing. 4 guys, it would be under 300 bucks a months; 3 guys, under 400/month. Are you kidding me? Just my monthly maintenance fee and taxes on my condo here in Boretown are about 1100$/month and I can get to stay at a villa with a private house for about the same amount in CM? Is that incredible or what?

I'm planning on returning to CM by April, so who in here would be up for joining forces to get a place like that and have a ball for 3-4 months while training at a muay thai camp, working on your current projects/online/offline biz and of course, banging hot thai girls?

3 months would be a good time frame to get a good feel for the place, to get in shape, establish a good social circle built and make some cool contacts and get into the A crowd in CM? Specially with a place like the above, the girls will be floored!

Ideally, 3 people in total would be a good number, we would get a 4 bedroom villa so we can have a spare bedroom for visiting girls's hot girl friends. [Image: smile.gif]

So fellow Rooshians, and other lizard slayers, who would be up for something like that?

Project Chiang Mai 2012

VP, what kind of time frame are you looking at?

I've been thinking about learning Muay Thai in Thailand sometimes and I wouldn't mind spending a couple months there learning it in Chang Mai.

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Tkid,
3-4 months would be a good time frame IMO not only to get a good feel for the place but also to have a solid game plan at the Muay Thai camp to get in shape. Also, that would give us some good deals for the accommodation. I'm planning to get there by early April 2012. How about you Tkid?

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Great idea. Here are a few thoughts.

1. The house you listed is WAY too far from town. Girls will have a very hard time getting there if they don't have wheels, and you are way far from the nightlife. IMO you would be much happier and better off living in town. You best bet is to get either a house or condo in the Nimmenhamen area, right by Chiang Mai University. This is where all of the Thai girls are at and most of the nicer nightclub with rich Thai uni girls. Of course, they are harder to pull, but once you get in a social circle I think it would make it much easier for you.

2. Try to negotiate prices. That website is for foreigners, so the prices are probably higher. When me and my roommate got a condo we negotiated the deposit down to 20k instead of 30k, and I probably should have pushed harder to lower the rent price.

3. I think the PERFECT location would be right next to Spicy Thai hostel. It is right on Nimmenhamen in a gated community of houses and some duplex type deals. When I was there one house was actually for rent, though I don't know the price. Tons of trees and the houses are pretty dope. Its tucked away right off Nimmenhamen and you can walk to Warm Up, Monkey Club and tons of restaurants. The streets are loaded with Thai Uni students.

Here is a pic of Spicy Thai and what the homes in the neighborhood look like.
[Image: 2.1241013600.spicy-thai-backpackers.jpg]

Project Chiang Mai 2012

RioNomad,
Much appreciated for your feedback, specially giving us the scoop on which area to stay at and where not to stay.
The house I mentioned is just an example, to give people an idea of what's possible and available in CM, it's not set in stone that that will be the house we'd get.
You're absolutely right that the prices on that site are with gringo or rather, falang's prices and once on the ground, we can certainly get better rates.
Are there houses with swimming pool in the area you mention, that is walking distance to the clubs?

Project Chiang Mai 2012

I feel like I saw one house with a swimming pool, but I'm not sure how common they are. I think in general they did not. However, if you could find a 3 bedroom condo in the same are they will have pools, and probably make for great hunting grounds as there are so many Uni students that live in them. I am not sure how common 3 bedroom condos are in the area, you may have to get 2, 2 bedroom condos or something but there may be 3 bedroom condos available. Might not be a bad idea to email a real estate agent in CM, telling them you and 2 friends are coming and looking for a 3 bedroom condo on Nimmen. They will know more than I will.

Project Chiang Mai 2012

I am there for 3-4 months from March I think.

But I was planning to stay here http://www.veerachaicourt.com/
5000 baht per month.

If you can drop the price and get a good location I'm in. If not, we will probably meet anyway. Did you plan to train at Team Quest?

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Nice, I am keen.

How is the weather from April though? Doesnt it get morbidly hot & humid?

I will be in BKK from january and I'd be up for this, especially earlier.

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Interesting idea. I just left Chiang Mai and was very impressed with the city. I am definitely planning to return, but I usually only travel in the winter. Renting a sick pad is a great idea.

VP- Chiang Mai and BKK are two very different cities. Spend a couple weeks in CM before committing to that kind of project!

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Quote: (12-16-2011 05:32 AM)gringoed Wrote:  

Spend a couple weeks in CM before committing to that kind of project!

Agreed. I got bored of CM after about 4 days. It's a really small town.

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Hey VP, what about Project DR? It's a lot closer and full of TBFM's instead of LBFM's. The airfare savings alone would be more attractive, as most of us are outta the N. Hemisphere anyway.

If not a centralized city like Prague. Somewhere where guys could take quick jaunts into other areas without being expensive overall. I'm still brainstorming.

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Yeah, doesn't CM have a population of 200.000 something?

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Chiang Mai can really feel like a small town, especially if you stay in parts of the old city (inside the mote), but it's actually a decent sized city. If you go during a major festival you will see what I mean.

I think working on some kind of project is essential for making the CM experience the best. Muay Thai or an online business would be perfect.

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Seems there's a few of us going to be in Thailand early 2012? I'll be there from 18 January but plan to travel around a bit too as well as visiting Burma and possibly re-visit some of the neighbouring countries. Hope to be there 6 months. Not sure I'd commit to a project like this as I know I'll get itchy feet and want to move around but definitely would like to be kept updated just in case.

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Quote: (12-16-2011 08:11 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Chiang Mai is way bigger than it feels on a few day stay. I remember when I first got there I looked around, shaking my head while wondering what the big deal was. It takes about 2 weeks for you to really start feeling what is so great about it, and then you get addicted. I lived there about 3 years and in the end I was still finding tucked away clubs and trendy restaurants I never knew existed.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Quote: (12-15-2011 11:50 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Great idea. Here are a few thoughts.

1. The house you listed is WAY too far from town. Girls will have a very hard time getting there if they don't have wheels, and you are way far from the nightlife. IMO you would be much happier and better off living in town. You best bet is to get either a house or condo in the Nimmenhamen area, right by Chiang Mai University. This is where all of the Thai girls are at and most of the nicer nightclub with rich Thai uni girls. Of course, they are harder to pull, but once you get in a social circle I think it would make it much easier for you.

2. Try to negotiate prices. That website is for foreigners, so the prices are probably higher. When me and my roommate got a condo we negotiated the deposit down to 20k instead of 30k, and I probably should have pushed harder to lower the rent price.

3. I think the PERFECT location would be right next to Spicy Thai hostel. It is right on Nimmenhamen in a gated community of houses and some duplex type deals. When I was there one house was actually for rent, though I don't know the price. Tons of trees and the houses are pretty dope. Its tucked away right off Nimmenhamen and you can walk to Warm Up, Monkey Club and tons of restaurants. The streets are loaded with Thai Uni students.

Here is a pic of Spicy Thai and what the homes in the neighborhood look like.

Nimanheimen is definitely the best area to live in. Try to be just outside it though because it can get pricer there for sure - but you don't have to far to have prices stop dropping.

Also, VP - try to contact some of the real estate agents before you get there, especially places with a Westerner or two working there. Typically, real estate agents will tour you around to places that match your criteria and you don't even have to pay for it. They get a commission if you rent a place. Post on an expat forum to find a trustworthy agency and drop them an email before you get to town to let them know you're in the market for a rental.

Good luck, man - great idea!

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Quote: (12-16-2011 08:11 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

You really can't get a feel for CM in 4 days. It isn't a small town at all, but it's spread out and people staying for a short time won't even see most of CM because they just don't know where to go. You should read my data sheet and if you are ever back in Thailand, give CM a second chance. The city limits I believe is 150k, but the CM area is over one million. Not sure where the city limits starts/stops, but I've gone from one side of CM to the other on a Tuk Tuk and it is very large, just not built upwards like BKK is, so it has a much less urban feel.

Also tons of non party related shit to do in CM that I really didn't dig into. You can rent a motorbike and drive a few hours up the mountains to Pai, a small backpacker town that is supposed to be super chill and a good weekend getaway. Though don't do it while it rains, or you will be in for a crazy adventure hah. You can do zip lining at Flight of the Gibbons. I guess there is lots of streams and waterfalls and other swimming holes that I WISH I would have went to around CM. You can do jungle treks and ride elephants. I just saw there is even a CM Crossfit, even though Crossfit isn't my thing. Team Quest just opened an MMA and mauy thai gym. There is gi Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at gtima.com. You can take a motorbike up the mountain dirt roads and check out where the small villages are and go through the jungle. We went to a lake/reservoir to go swimming and there were little bungalow/hut type deals right on the water and you could order food and drinks from the restaurants/bar. You can take a boat on the Ping River.

Tons of other shit to do in CM that I probably forgot/never knew about.

Project Chiang Mai 2012

This is how you crack them hiso Thai girls in CM. Can any of you motherfuckers sing lol?

Project Chiang Mai 2012

That guy can't sing for shit. Sadly I'm even worse.

Project Chiang Mai 2012

I'm in the same boat as bface - moving out there around March and training at TeamQuest.

Would definitely be interested in this. Sign me up [Image: wink.gif]
I'll shop around for villas later this week and post my findings.

Pretty psyched!

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Just booked my flight. I arrive on the the 4th of March. But I will go to the FMP on the 7th and then head to CM.
Not sure where I will train yet.

Are all you guys interested in a baller place or is someone else looking for something cheap?

Project Chiang Mai 2012

bface,
2-3 guys get together and for about 3-400 bucks a month, you can get a sick pad for what you would pay for a decent and cheap place by yourself. One of the challenges will be to screen people to make sure the guys are quality guys and people that you get along with. What process would you suggest to screen people other than just meeting them in person in CM and hanging out with them?

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Quote: (12-18-2011 05:32 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

bface,
2-3 guys get together and for about 3-400 bucks a month, you can get a sick pad for what you would pay for a decent and cheap place by yourself. One of the challenges will be to screen people to make sure the guys are quality guys and people that you get along with. What process would you suggest to screen people other than just meeting them in person in CM and hanging out with them?

I can get a decent room for 150/month. CM will be the end of my trip so money is getting a little bit tight. But I would say up to 300 I will still consider it if it's a good location and good people for networking/going out.

I think if everyone is interested in travel, business, martial arts and going out it will be hard not to get along.

definitely:
bface ~ march 10th, 3 months
november ~ march 10th
vp - april, 3-4 months

maybe:
torontokid
richiep
kingofscotland

Did I forget someone?

Project Chiang Mai 2012

I should be in Phuket during that time. I'll have to make a trip up and party withh yall and see my friends in CM.

Project Chiang Mai 2012

Quote:Quote:

Skype interviews.

Yeah, this sounds like a good idea. Let's round up everyone who definitely wants in and do a conference call at some point.

And I'll also be there for 3 - 4 months.