rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Expedited French naturalization for Canadians?

This one's for the Canucks out there. Does anyone here have any knowledge, direct or anecdotal, about this process? It seems French-speaking Canadians (not necessarily Quebecois) can completely avoid the 5-year residency requirement, which is of course the most difficult aspect of naturalization anywhere.

I stumbled on the following residency requirements for French naturalization from here:

Quote:Quote:

Résidence en France et régularité du séjour

Principe : 5 ans minimum

N'est pas soumis à la condition de résidence habituelle de 5 ans, l'étranger :

-ou qui appartient à l'entité culturelle et linguistique française, lorsqu'il est ressortissant d'un territoire ou État dont la langue officielle ou l'une des langues officielles est le français et que le français est sa langue maternelle ou qui justifie d'une scolarisation d'au moins 5 ans dans un établissement enseignant en langue française.

So it seems the only requirement to get citizenship, besides not having a criminal record and such, is an interview with an immigration officer showing your knowledge of the language, history and culture and the rights and duties conferred by French nationality. This is something you could read about for a couple weeks and easily BS about in an interview.

What am I missing here? Is it really that easy for a French-speaking Canuck?

Note: I don't particularly care about obtaining French nationality specifically, I just want an EU passport in the easiest way possible.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

Yeah but if you've never been to France for an extended period of time before, they might argue that you're not truely integrated.

According to French law you must live in France when the government issues the decree granting you French nationality.

Code civil, article 21-16

Nul ne peut être naturalisé s'il n'a en France sa résidence au moment de la signature du décret de naturalisation.

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCode...e=20100727

Having an employment contract and professional/familial ties in France is necessary imho.

Quote: (12-13-2011 05:18 AM)Tresor Wrote:  

Yeah but if you've never been to France for an extended period of time before, they might argue that you're not truely integrated.

According to French law you must live in France when the government issues the decree granting you French nationality.

Code civil, article 21-16

Nul ne peut être naturalisé s'il n'a en France sa résidence au moment de la signature du décret de naturalisation.

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCode...e=20100727

Having an employment contract and professional/familial ties in France is necessary imho.

Agreed. You'd have to be living and working at the time naturalization is granted. That wouldn't be such a big deal (for me, personally) but I think the real catch is this:

La réponse de l'autorité publique à une demande d'acquisition de la nationalité française par naturalisation doit intervenir au plus tard dix-huit mois à compter de la remise de toutes les pièces nécessaires à la constitution d'un dossier complet contre laquelle un récépissé est délivré immédiatement.

Le délai visé au premier alinéa est réduit à douze mois lorsque l'étranger en instance de naturalisation justifie avoir en France sa résidence habituelle depuis une période d'au moins dix ans au jour de cette remise.

Les délais précités peuvent être prolongés une fois, par décision motivée, pour une période de trois mois.

They can take up to 18 or 21 months to respond to the application during which you'd almost certainly still have to be living and working in France. So more realistically, the process would take about 2 years, assuming they take the full amount of time for someone who recently arrived. That's still faster than any other way I know of getting some EU citizenship, but definitely not instantaneous.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

Wow, merci beaucoup for posting this info! I've been looking for an opportunity to move back to France for the past 12 years!

I'm a bit of a francophile, so this is something that I'm going to look into for sure as it looks like I meet the eligibility requirements. I studied in France for a year back in 99/00', lived with a French family in Toulouse and have traveled back since then (although its been a while, gotta get back soon!), I also majored in French at uni so I am bilingual.

I also have some trade certificates that I picked up working in the oil industry that are recognized in France, wow it would be so nice to work there, 35 hours a week as opposed to the 80+ I work in Canada!!!

Man, theres some serious ideas floating around my head this morning after reading this, thanks again for posting!

What about the reverse? I have a friend who would like to move from France to Canada. How long will the process take? Has anyone done it before?
Requirements?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

I think it's pretty easy for both side . Maybe an accord ? I know in Québec we need hardcore specific job in medecine . A lot of new french and french language people doctor come to establish here .
To the opposite , you just need an house over there I think . Ma tante a désormais sa nationalité francaise et n'a jamais travaillé là-bas . She just have an house and spend 6 month there and 6 month here . But you should check your option before leaving and maybe get a garanty job . They have a high % of enemployee over there , especially for immigrant .

It says you have to come from a french state or territory, technically Quebec and New Brunswick are the only true provinces with french as an official language. Although french is an official language at the federal level so that might count.

Also I don't know how they could prove your maternal language, maybe need proof that a parent speaks as well.

This is something I will definitely look into now though, thanks for the heads up

Quote: (12-13-2011 01:42 PM)Alfonzo Wrote:  

I think it's pretty easy for both side . Maybe an accord ? I know in Québec we need hardcore specific job in medecine . A lot of new french and french language people doctor come to establish here .
To the opposite , you just need an house over there I think . Ma tante a désormais sa nationalité francaise et n'a jamais travaillé là-bas . She just have an house and spend 6 month there and 6 month here . But you should check your option before leaving and maybe get a garanty job . They have a high % of enemployee over there , especially for immigrant .

Her house is in her parents name, she has no job, I told her to come here so she can kill it. It's a woman's country over here, she will flourish, she is slim, brunette etc and of course bilingual (with some other European languages thrown in for good measure).

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (12-13-2011 05:53 AM)Soma Wrote:  

They can take up to 18 or 21 months to respond to the application during which you'd almost certainly still have to be living and working in France. So more realistically, the process would take about 2 years, assuming they take the full amount of time for someone who recently arrived. That's still faster than any other way I know of getting some EU citizenship, but definitely not instantaneous.

And how would you be living and/or working there without a status? Without any other options, after 90 days you would be in the country illegally.

Quote: (12-13-2011 02:04 PM)Moma Wrote:  

Quote: (12-13-2011 01:42 PM)Alfonzo Wrote:  

Her house is in her parents name, she has no job, I told her to come here so she can kill it. It's a woman's country over here, she will flourish, she is slim, brunette etc and of course bilingual (with some other European languages thrown in for good measure).

I don't really know what are the basic rules to be here but i know for sure if you have a job and you want to come here and do the same job , you have to past a shitload of french tests . If She is unemployed it's a good oportunity to come here , since the majority of men now don't go to the university . The hiearchie have change now .

Go talk to a french immigration lawyer to find out what the reality is vs what is written down. Immigration people just enforce their own internal reality, not what could be interpreted in other ways. They'll be able to tell you what special programs you could qualify for too.