rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Joining the US arm forces with a Bachelor Degree? Good Idea??

Hey All....

With the economic condition of our country, its been very tough for me finding a good paying job. I use to make pretty good money for a single male living in the Los Angeles. $75K plus prior to 2008 down turn. Trying to start a business and getting a loan from the bank is pretty tough now, i have good credit but high credit card balances.

I was thinking about joining the Military. Perhaps the Air Force. Im too old for the marines. I have a bachelor degree in Finance.

Anyone in here join the military with a bachleor degree?? I am 31 years old. I know you start off an officer, 2nd Lt. How is the pay? how fast can you get promoted? what did you do as your work? besides the factor of serving my country, is it worth it as a career move?

I've thought about this as an out, and when I brought it up I got the same answer from many different people, dont join the armed forces if your heart isn't in it.

With a degree in finances have you looked into government work? Lurk http://www.USAJobs.gov You might not find a job thats directly in your field, but the background might help you get some over paid shitkicker automation job.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

I enlisted in the army with a bachelors. originally, i planned to go to officer candidate school, but found out about "needs of the army." what that means is you state your preferences (for a branch, for a duty station, etc) and maybe they take that into account, but at the end of the day you go where the army wants you to go.

whether the army is the right move for you depends on a couple of things. there are branches that always need lieutenants and there are branches that don't. if you're looking to get into something with a direct correlation to a civilian gig, you may not get it, at least not right away. the way it works a lot is you get assigned to a combat arms branch (infantry, armor, artillery) for the first few years and then move to another branch. this is the army. hopefully someone else can speak better to the air force or navy.

bottom line though, it's best to have an exit strategy. there are a lot of businesses that would look kindly on four/six/eight years experience as a military officer, especially with some overseas service and security clearance. i'm thinking about defense contractors or big multinationals like Halliburton or Bechtel.

Quote: (12-11-2011 08:43 PM)jergens007 Wrote:  

Hey All....

With the economic condition of our country, its been very tough for me finding a good paying job. I use to make pretty good money for a single male living in the Los Angeles. $75K plus prior to 2008 down turn. Trying to start a business and getting a loan from the bank is pretty tough now, i have good credit but high credit card balances.

I was thinking about joining the Military. Perhaps the Air Force. Im too old for the marines. I have a bachelor degree in Finance.

Anyone in here join the military with a bachleor degree?? I am 31 years old. I know you start off an officer, 2nd Lt. How is the pay? how fast can you get promoted? what did you do as your work? besides the factor of serving my country, is it worth it as a career move?

Who told you start off as an officer? Thats a load of bs! Atleast in the AF and im sure its the same in the Army.

There is only two ways to become an officer. Nurses and other medical degree people can get in without doing these things though imo.

1) ROTC
2) Officer Training School which is very competitive to get into. Can forget it without a technical degree. (called something else in the army)

You will start out as an enlisted (you get bumped up a few ranks for having a degree but the pay is still shit)

Officers get paid well. But like I said you will have to do either 1 or 2 from the above.

And to do number 1 dont tell them you plan on getting ur masters while in ROTC. They told me they dont like to take ppl with degrees already and I should apply to OTS (officer training school) I suppose you could lie and just sign up for another bachelor degree program and not mention you already have a degree.

That is the easiest method imo. You can major in PE and in 2 years be finished an a officer. You would need to try to go to field training the summer BEFORE you start school (AF).

Dude, Dont do it. PM me if you have any questions, but I've got a similar background. I can give some guidance that I don't want to just blast out.

Quote: (12-11-2011 09:26 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Who told you start off as an officer? Thats a load of bs! Atleast in the AF and im sure its the same in the Army.

There is only two ways to become an officer. Nurses and other medical degree people can get in without doing these things though imo.

1) ROTC
2) Officer Training School which is very competitive to get into. Can forget it without a technical degree. (called something else in the army)

You will start out as an enlisted (you get bumped up a few ranks for having a degree but the pay is still shit)

Officers get paid well. But like I said you will have to do either 1 or 2 from the above.

And to do number 1 dont tell them you plan on getting ur masters while in ROTC. They told me they dont like to take ppl with degrees already and I should apply to OTS (officer training school) I suppose you could lie and just sign up for another bachelor degree program and not mention you already have a degree.

That is the easiest method imo. You can major in PE and in 2 years be finished an a officer. You would need to try to go to field training the summer BEFORE you start school (AF).

If you have a degree from a credited university, you can start off an officer, just as long you pass the appitude test, your background is clean. its on the air force website.
http://www.airforce.com/joining-the-air-...-overview/

Quote: (12-11-2011 08:47 PM)Chad Daring Wrote:  

I've thought about this as an out, and when I brought it up I got the same answer from many different people, dont join the armed forces if your heart isn't in it.

With a degree in finances have you looked into government work? Lurk http://www.USAJobs.gov You might not find a job thats directly in your field, but the background might help you get some over paid shitkicker automation job.

thanks for the tip... ill look into that website... [Image: whip.gif]

While I approve of your intent, I'm assuming you've tried the search function? This question gets floated about every 2-3 months.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-5464.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-6192.html

The bottom line is that it really depends on what your motivation is. Do you want to learn any highly specific skillsets? "Play games" against folks that would be a crime as a private citizen? See the war? Travel? Accrue federal retirement benefits?

PS. If your primary motivation is money, please stay the hell away from federal service. They call it service for a reason.

"Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That's the only planet in the galaxy that can make that claim."

Quote: (12-12-2011 03:30 AM)jergens007 Wrote:  

If you have a degree from a credited university, you can start off an officer, just as long you pass the appitude test, your background is clean. its on the air force website.
http://www.airforce.com/joining-the-air-...-overview/

The website confirms what I said. Not sure why your quoting me.

You can not just pass some test and become an officer.

These are the ONLY ways to become an officer.

1) Complete OTS (Officer Training School)

2) Complete ROTC at a University and earn a degree

3) Graduate from the Air Force Academy

Hey All....

FYI I looked into going into the airforce (and looked at the other branches too). You aren't going to get into the air force (based on what you said) unless you have started a number of charities. Basically they are only letting pilots, navigators, electrical engineers and computer engineers through OTS. They invited, iirc, 52 out of the ~750 people who applied last year to attend OTS. Pretty much all of the military is downsizing right now, or preparing too so the ROTC/academies fill up most of their spots.

Some other things to consider for officer,
If you have ever been arrested, no go (any branch).
If you have any visibile tatoos (in short sleeves), no go.
If you have done significant amount of illegal drugs, no go (a I tried pot once in college might not discredit you.
You must have leadership experience.
You need to be involved in giving back to the community, they care about that for officers.

Its not possible, but it is atleast as difficult as getting a regular job (for an officer).

You'll have to google "us military pay charts", I can't put up links yet. The figures there are your monthly take home pay (you also get food, housing, and other allowances).

Quote: (12-12-2011 03:44 AM)BackToBasics Wrote:  

PS. If your primary motivation is money, please stay the hell away from federal service. They call it service for a reason.

Money is always a factor, especially when you are looking for a solid foundation to your life when you are younger than 30.

I've always ask my younger cousins thinking of military enlistment a simple question:

If you had $100,000 hard, cold cash, right now, this very moment, as a balance of your bank account, would you enlist in the armed forces today?

95% of the time, the answer is no. So, there you go, the armed services is not for you if you cannot answer YES to that question.

Mixx

Have you considered getting a finance job in places that are doing well, like Singapore?

Cannons always need fodder. Might as well be you instead of a wealthy man's child.

Hey All....

I have a good homeboy who's much older than me but acts like a 20-something year old guy. He went to Army OCS after graduating with a Finance degree from UMiami. It opened a lot of doors for him and they even set him up down in Panama for a few years. He's about ready to retire in a year or so (they denied his retirement request last year) and will have the option to live just about anywhere he wants doing civilian work at military bases for private sector pay (including locations in Europe).

As an officer, the pay isn't as high as what you'd make for a similar role in the private sector, but the benefits probably make up for it in pretty significant ways (free health care, living expenses, training, etc).

The armed forces often give you a signing bonus and loan repayment assistance up to a certain amount should you need it.

However, I have a younger friend who just finished college, perfect score on the Asvab, and was very gung ho about joining the Army, but OCS isn't taking civilian applications for at least a year due to budget cuts. This just happened to him this summer so the Army won't be taking any civilian candidates for OCS until at least Fall 2012, unless they decide to extend their current policy even longer if budgetary needs demand such action.

Quote: (12-12-2011 03:46 AM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Quote: (12-12-2011 03:30 AM)jergens007 Wrote:  

w/

The website confirms what I said. Not sure why your quoting me.

You can not just pass some test and become an officer.

These are the ONLY ways to become an officer.

1) Complete OTS (Officer Training School)

2) Complete ROTC at a University and earn a degree

3) Graduate from the Air Force Academy

Sorry buddy... I mis read your last posting... you are right.... I will have to go to OTS training before becoming an officer. Having a college degree is a requirement to to enroll to officer training school.

Quote: (12-13-2011 01:40 AM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

I have a good homeboy who's much older than me but acts like a 20-something year old guy. He went to Army OCS after graduating with a Finance degree from UMiami. It opened a lot of doors for him and they even set him up down in Panama for a few years. He's about ready to retire in a year or so (they denied his retirement request last year) and will have the option to live just about anywhere he wants doing civilian work at military bases for private sector pay (including locations in Europe).

As an officer, the pay isn't as high as what you'd make for a similar role in the private sector, but the benefits probably make up for it in pretty significant ways (free health care, living expenses, training, etc).

The armed forces often give you a signing bonus and loan repayment assistance up to a certain amount should you need it.

However, I have a younger friend who just finished college, perfect score on the Asvab, and was very gung ho about joining the Army, but OCS isn't taking civilian applications for at least a year due to budget cuts. This just happened to him this summer so the Army won't be taking any civilian candidates for OCS until at least Fall 2012, unless they decide to extend their current policy even longer if budgetary needs demand such action.

Your homie who went to panama and graduated from Umiami, is exactly what i want. I would love to live in Panama. ( been there before) and than after the service work in a private sector. i know the pay is not as high, but the benefits are very very good. How old is your homie? which branch is he in? what is he doin right now?

Quote: (12-12-2011 03:44 AM)BackToBasics Wrote:  

The bottom line is that it really depends on what your motivation is. Do you want to learn any highly specific skillsets? "Play games" against folks that would be a crime as a private citizen? See the war? Travel? Accrue federal retirement benefits?

I am unemployed at the moment and wont get benefits for at least 2 months because i made a huge error on my application and got penalized. [Image: angry.gif] My motivation are develop more skill sets that will make me more marketable in the private sector when im done with my service. My professional background is advertising and insurance sales. I been working in sales for the last 5 years doing cold calls. I made great money till 2009. I no criminal record, insurance license. I don't want to be making cold calls every day for the rest of my life. The economy is tough, finding a new job outside the sectors i been working its very difficult and competitive. Im 31 years old, with excellent credit, I live in Los angeles. im struggling to pay for more hollywood hills condo. i have 10K in credit card debt. im dipping into my 401K savings to pay my bills [Image: confused.gif] ( yes i know, its bad)

I know the money sucks, but the benefits are wonderful and the leadership programs makes joining the service appealing and of course traveling! by the way, what do you mean by "play games" against folks???

Quote: (12-12-2011 10:29 PM)ersatz Wrote:  

Have you considered getting a finance job in places that are doing well, like Singapore?

.sounds interesting.... [Image: idea.gif] can you tell me a little more about singapore and why the finance jobs over there are doing well????

Quote: (12-13-2011 03:41 AM)jergens007 Wrote:  

Quote: (12-13-2011 01:40 AM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Your homie who went to panama and graduated from Umiami, is exactly what i want. I would love to live in Panama. ( been there before) and than after the service work in a private sector. i know the pay is not as high, but the benefits are very very good. How old is your homie? which branch is he in? what is he doin right now?

My boy is like 43. He's in the Army and works as a Program Analyst near DC. He just relocated here from Texas. He has loads of vacation time and travels A LOT. It's like every other week he's somewhere for work or leisure. He goes to Panama several times a year. He'll have had a full career in the Army once he steps down, probably next year or 2013.

Quote: (12-11-2011 09:07 PM)j r Wrote:  

I enlisted in the army with a bachelors. originally, i planned to go to officer candidate school, but found out about "needs of the army." what that means is you state your preferences (for a branch, for a duty station, etc) and maybe they take that into account, but at the end of the day you go where the army wants you to go.

whether the army is the right move for you depends on a couple of things. there are branches that always need lieutenants and there are branches that don't. if you're looking to get into something with a direct correlation to a civilian gig, you may not get it, at least not right away. the way it works a lot is you get assigned to a combat arms branch (infantry, armor, artillery) for the first few years and then move to another branch. this is the army. hopefully someone else can speak better to the air force or navy.

bottom line though, it's best to have an exit strategy. there are a lot of businesses that would look kindly on four/six/eight years experience as a military officer, especially with some overseas service and security clearance. i'm thinking about defense contractors or big multinationals like Halliburton or Bechtel.

Buddy of mine became a project manager for Booze Allen Hamilton and immediately out of the air force and he was making 100K/year. Issues are shitty hours and had to be in the military...

Quote: (12-13-2011 04:15 AM)jergens007 Wrote:  

Quote: (12-12-2011 10:29 PM)ersatz Wrote:  

.sounds interesting.... [Image: idea.gif] can you tell me a little more about singapore and why the finance jobs over there are doing well????

Singapore is a finance center of the world. It's very central overall in Asia, like hong kong. The tax rates are low, the country clean and safe, relatively quick to immigrate to and you got dirt cheap south east Asia all around you and air Asia to take you there. There is also Dubai, but I would prefer Singapore. I would do a research project on oppertunties outside of the USA If I was you. The millitary is a waste of time in my opinion.

I enlisted in the Army at 30 with a bachelors degree. Don't ever enlist.

The benefits don't outweigh the pettiness and boredom.

Though it could be all sunshine and rainbows as an officer. But probably not.

Quote: (12-13-2011 06:33 PM)cool Wrote:  

Yeah. All of my friends who've either enlisted or went in as officers say the same thing. Definitely DO NOT enlist if you have a college degree. OCS or bust.

Quote: (12-13-2011 07:24 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Quote: (12-13-2011 06:33 PM)cool Wrote:  

Yeah. All of my friends who've either enlisted or went in as officers say the same thing. Definitely DO NOT enlist if you have a college degree. OCS or bust.

Or go to the cheapest school in your state and do 2 years of ROTC.

I spent 6 years in the enlisted infantry right out of high school (98-04). Afterward I went to undergrad and grad school. Here is my take on joining the service:

If you are going to make a career of it, become an officer. The pay is crap for enlisted personnel.

If you are joining for a steady job and getting the military experience you should enlist. I would never trade my time spent as a grunt. I was stationed in Alaska for 4 years, got to drive out all the way to the east coast with my father, deployed to Japan, Iraq and all over the US. Made some of the best friends who understand what being a friend is really about.

The camraderie as an enlisted guy is unsurpassed, as an example I could have (and did) give my atm card and PIN to any of the guys in my unit, even ones I didn't hang out with often and ask them to grab me some cash and beer on their store run and I would get it back with the exact amount I requested withdrawn.

If you want to be an officer, you can enlist with an OCS contract (at least in the Army). I would go that route. You need to be selective in the job you choose. Don't just join up and take whatever they give you or suggest. Do the research. I would also reccomend avoiding jobs that are open to females. Those jobs suck and there is all sorts of dumbshit politics that affect your career track. In the Air Force, I would say a Ground Combat Controller or Para-Rescueman (PJ) is where it is at. In my unit if you had a problem with someone you called them out and wrestled or had a boxing match and put that stuff behind you... at a snatch unit you got counseling statements and sensitivity training.

And regarding the age thing a few guys that I went to Basic Training with were older than 30 and some of the best soldiers there.