rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cheapest Places to Live, and Ways to do It?

What are some really cheap international locations to live, with decent quality of life (safety, decent medical care, friendly ppl)?

I'm looking for places I could go and park up for a few months, read lots of books, learn language, hit on girls and possibly build professional skills (e.g. web design or web analytics) while I'm not making much atall. I'd love to be able to survive on $700-$1000 a month ideally.

Im currently budgeting for 3 months in BKK and even there it's looking like $1500+ a month, if I get my own place and go out 2-4 nights a week.

Maybe I'm just bad at budgeting and saving. I'd prefer to have my own place, but that would be one area where I could save a chunk by sharing. I also like to eat well (paleo-ish) so thats lots of meat and some supplements, etc.

Anyone have any hotspots where they had a good quality of life but really low outgoings? Perhaps smaller cities are better than capitals like Bangkok?

Or alternatively, any great resources on budgeting and cutting down your outgoings?

Look into southeast asia. You can live in Cambodia or Thailand for $1000/month.

As for budgeting, just keep a close eye on where your money is going. Figure out the minimum amount you need to spend per week to live comfortably and don't go over that. When you go out to clubs, don't drink (or drink less). You'll save tons of money by not buying alcohol.

Dr should do it, you definetely can live on 700-1000 dollars there.

Cool cheers. I wonder if I can do $1k/month in Bangkok. I guess the trick is finding bargain accomodation, then from there just being frugal with eating and entertainment.

You probably could do $1000 a month in Thailand as getting a cheap room shouldn't be a problem. Try airbnb.com or roomorama.com they have some good deals on short term rental aparments and rooms. Eating is so cheap, just eat from street stalls and local cafes, the food is good and so inexpensive. Beers are fairly cheap. Transport is dirt cheap. Can't go wrong.

Nice man. Any recommendations for areas to stay in BKK?

I've been looking around Sukhumvit, I stayed there before, but it's a big road...

Heard Thong Lor is cool.

is Silom OK? Or is that abit too CBD-ish?

Yeah Suhkhumvit goes on forever, there are some nice areas to stay. On my last visit I stayed in the Sukhumvit 71, Soi 42 area which has wealthy Thais and expats living there. Nice enough area.

Vietnam is even cheaper, plus you could do the noodle diet - that is the cheapest way i think....

Maybe Burma?

Heh yeah I guess it's finding the right balance between cheapness, good amenities, friendly locals, good internet, nightlife, + girls.

Got a feeling Vietnam and Burma win on cheapness but are alot lower on the others compared to Thailand right? Or is that misjudged?

Maybe I could go Chiang Mai or something and do it cheaper than BKK.

I think Bolivia is the one of the cheapest countries in the whole world, Roosh has been ther, so he will know better.

Take A look at this list- bangkokmag.infothai.com/bkkhotel.htm

Not sure if it's updated, but in the guest house sections the prices are reasonable.

Reasonable budget apartment rooms can be 3000-5000 baht a month. Here's a picture on a blog: two.cedonulli.com/2011/12/living-nicely-for-135/

When are you arriving?

Quote: (12-08-2011 06:56 AM)RichieP Wrote:  

Heh yeah I guess it's finding the right balance between cheapness, good amenities, friendly locals, good internet, nightlife, + girls.

Got a feeling Vietnam and Burma win on cheapness but are alot lower on the others compared to Thailand right? Or is that misjudged?

Maybe I could go Chiang Mai or something and do it cheaper than BKK.

Chang Mai should be fine for everything you require. Burma definitely would not be from what I know of it. Vietnam however could suit you.

1k/month in BKK can be done but it would be a hell of a life as you won't be able to take full advantage of the awesome nightlife there.

1K in Mexico second tier cities could be done, it would be a little boring though.

I've done Costa Rica on a 1000 a month before. Get a room at vista linda in montelimar that is about 350 a month or an apartment they start at 450. Use the buses and be smart about the drinking. Cook at home if you can. A cab ride from el pueblo to this apartment is between 5 and 8 USD depending on the driver and time of morning you leave.

18 reasons why Chiang Mai makes a perfect digital nomad headquarters
http://www.thrillingheroics.com/chiang-m...ital-nomad

Why don't you just figure out a way to make and extra $500 a month? It's not that hard to add that to your income online (depending on what you're doing, I guess), and the difference between making $1000 and $1500 a month in any of these places is pretty substantial.

On second note: I noticed Chiang Mai got mentioned above. I recently lived there for about 3 years and left to find a new place to live, mostly because it wasn't on the ocean. Now that I see everyone talking about it online I'm freaking out a little, and I want to run back, bummed I can't have it all to myself. lol

As if I ever did, but it's funny how your emotions get wrapped up with these places.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (12-08-2011 02:27 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

1k/month in BKK can be done but it would be a hell of a life as you won't be able to take full advantage of the awesome nightlife there.

You're kidding, right? A sexy as fuck 19 year old 'sideline' (non pro) girl is $30 for a night. What exactly is the suffering-at-1k about?

Quote: (05-23-2012 02:05 AM)hnsight_roo Wrote:  

Quote: (12-08-2011 02:27 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

You're kidding, right? A sexy as fuck 19 year old 'sideline' (non pro) girl is $30 for a night. What exactly is the suffering-at-1k about?

Why would you pay a "non pro" $30? Giving her $30 instantly makes her a pro. 30,000 baht a month in BKK does not go all that far if you like to go out to party at places like RCA and don't want to live in a studio.

To answer the OP, even though the post is old, you can do BKK on $1,000 a month. Though, $1,500 is what I do it on and I wouldn't want to do it for less really. However, I pay nearly 12,000 a month for rent/electricity and live on Sukhumvit in an area where the Thai food is a bit more pricey. It's a one bedroom condo right by the Phleon Chit BTS, which is nice, bot not necessary. You could get a decent place out on On Nut for half of that and there is lots of street food there. If you plan on staying for 6 months you can get places even cheaper.

I stayed in Chiang Mai last year for 3 months and it is a bit cheaper than BKK. The public transport sucks, but you can get better quality places at a cheaper price there than you can in BKK.

Either place is awesome.

I've no idea what he's talking about either, what's a 'sideline'? Does he mean what it costs him on a date or something? Give him some tips on 300B dates Rio. [Image: wink.gif]

I spend a minimum of $1500 a month in BKK and also wouldn't want to do it for less though I do spend too much on accommodation, food, drinking, internet, everything really. I stay in a hotel for around 19,000B per month when I could get an apartment cheaper but I was never organised enough, wasn't sure if I wanted to stay in BKK for most of the trip and did a bit of travelling around Thailand and Cambodia too so it just never happened. I'm sick to death of thai food especially the staple dishes of curries and stir fries with rice and noodles so have been eating Western food a bit more and Maccy Dees, Subway etc. I drink every day, even if just a couple of beers though often out drinking heavily and if I go out for a night out it rarely ends before the next morning. Quite a lot of dates recently and depending on whether the girl contributes that can easily rack up the cash. I also spend far too much on internet as I use net cafes. I tallied up the cost, it's approx 200B a day, which works out at around $177 a month on net usage! Only this week after being here on and off for 4 months using the same net cafe did they tell me they have a membership program and I could have paid 1500B for a months unlimited usage.

If you got a good priced apartment, ate thai food only (especially the street food), had productive stuff to do like work or muay thai training for example in the day time meaning you couldn't go out drinking every night and didn't spend a fortune on net usage you could easily do it much cheaper.

Rio have you got a short term serviced apartment or what sort of deal?

Quote: (05-23-2012 02:56 AM)AlphaTravel Wrote:  

I've no idea what he's talking about either, what's a 'sideline'? Does he mean what it costs him on a date or something? Give him some tips on 300B dates Rio. [Image: wink.gif]

Find the sluttiest looking girl on TF who just got dumped by her farang boyfriend and take her to Coco Walk for 100 baht beers. Then tell her you are taking her to listen to country music at a different bar and when she's not paying attention shove her into a taxi and tell the driver to step on it lol.

Quote: (05-23-2012 02:56 AM)AlphaTravel Wrote:  

Rio have you got a short term serviced apartment or what sort of deal?

I live in a condo right on Sukhumvit Soi 1. It is right next to my gym. My friend who owns the gym also owns the building so I get it for a lot cheaper. It's 25,000 a month if you pay the full price, but that is due to location, not how nice it is. It's a one bedroom condo that was furnished. Have a cleaning lady come up every couple weeks for 250 baht.

If I didn't have to come to Soi 1 to train everyday I would probably live somewhere else. But being less than a 60 second walk to my gym is worth it.

Do they have 3G internet plans there? I have this 3G USB modem which has been great so far in the FSU, pretty much allows you to have solid internet access no matter your accommodation.

I cant say officially.
But some EE countries will come out really cheap.
I found a couple decent apartments in budapest for around 3-350 a month. To me thats pretty good considering everything else in the city is rather cheap.

I really have no desire to live in southeast asia right now

I am the cock carousel

I think it really depends on where you have a network of friends.

For example, I was just in Thailand all winter and I spent relatively little (6000 baht per month rent divided by two) but now that I'm in Korea I don't find myself spending much more. The main thing is because I had a friend here who wanted to rent out an extra room. In a country with no friends all you will get is what is advertised.

You might consider going home even. I'm going back to Vancouver to see my family this summer and enjoy the great summer weather. I doubt it will cost me much, staying with family and hanging out at friends houses and house parties.

You can also apply that principle to new places that you go to. Try to make a network of local friends as soon as possible, and hit up a language class as soon as possible. Private lessons are best for learning the language, but you can meet a good group of friends who can help you out from attending a class.

Nobody mentioned the Philippines. Why not? I haven't been there yet, but I am considering it.

Also, I imagine its possible to do well in Nicaragua for $1000 per month. Also haven't been there, but I've read their crime rate is somewhat low for an undeveloped central American country.

Bali? Trivandrum? Both places I have yet to see, but are cheap and on my bucket list. Would love to hear thoughts from those who've been to these places.