rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Buying a condo in Florida

So my folks told me they want to buy a condo in Florida. They have a local friend there who knows about real estate, but I am wondering what is the "best place" to get a condo there? When they told me, my first thought was cool, my second thought was now I can fly down there and game FL girls.

I think they are set on the east coast b/c they like the Atlantic Ocean more. We used to vacation near Daytona Beach, but I am guessing that's not a good place to buy. What about Boca, Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Miami obviously, but I think a smaller place would be better. Is St. Petersburg better than Tampa? (I realize it's on the other coast) It looked like it had more beaches (a nice beach is an important consideration).

Any of you FL guys have suggestions, especially aside from Miami? I think they want to be in a decent neighborhood with good proximity to beaches. I want a place that has decent population of bangable women, or at least reasonably close to such a place. I figure since it'll be their money their priorities come first.

I have some friends in West Palm Beach, so I usually make a trip down there every year or so.
WPB sounds kind of like what you're looking for -- good nightlife, beaches, etc. Boca is close by and not bad either.

Quote: (12-01-2011 09:14 PM)Menace Wrote:  

So my folks told me they want to buy a condo in Florida. They have a local friend there who knows about real estate, but I am wondering what is the "best place" to get a condo there? When they told me, my first thought was cool, my second thought was now I can fly down there and game FL girls.

I think they are set on the east coast b/c they like the Atlantic Ocean more. We used to vacation near Daytona Beach, but I am guessing that's not a good place to buy. What about Boca, Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Miami obviously, but I think a smaller place would be better. Is St. Petersburg better than Tampa? (I realize it's on the other coast) It looked like it had more beaches (a nice beach is an important consideration).

Any of you FL guys have suggestions, especially aside from Miami? I think they want to be in a decent neighborhood with good proximity to beaches. I want a place that has decent population of bangable women, or at least reasonably close to such a place. I figure since it'll be their money their priorities come first.

I think your best bet would be to buy a condo in Miami Beach. Miami beach is cheaper than SOuth Beach, the neighbourhood is decent and the chicks are hot, where else would you wanna be? I'd look for a studio aparment near Miami Beach if I were you.

Thanks guys.

I got it covered in Tampabay. Forget Tampa or St Pete..Search in Palm Harbor and Safety Harbor. Palm Harbor is just north of clearwater 5 miles the beaches are kinda hectic so you want to stay a little removed from them. Saftey Harbor is a litttle town in between everything Tampa St Pete and Clearwater. Both places are 5 minutes to the beaches. If you want a condo Directly on the beaches look in Sand Key. Its just over the bridge from Clearwater beach to St Petes Beaches. You can ride the trolly system to get around if you don't bring a car. Another bonus is a occasional boat visit from me. If the beach route is what you want tell the parents to make sure they get a condo with a boat lift on the intracoastal. They are cheap right now.

I have lived on both coasts and no way in hell would I leave this place to move to south Florida

Thanks mech. The thing is, they have a friend on the West coast, but for some reason my dad is obsessed with the waves on the Atlantic shore. Maybe I should just tell them I know a good mechanic there (they're likely to be driving down there). [Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (12-02-2011 11:16 AM)Menace Wrote:  

Thanks mech. The thing is, they have a friend on the West coast, but for some reason my dad is obsessed with the waves on the Atlantic shore. Maybe I should just tell them I know a good mechanic there (they're likely to be driving down there). [Image: smile.gif]
That's one thing that sucks. But, they do break enough to surf in St. Pete.

Have your folks been to the Florida Panhandle, in the northwest Gulf Coast area? The beaches are beautiful, property prices are depressed right now, and the pace of life is laidback. Maybe not ideal for chasing women, but perhaps nice for your folks.

BTW, this is my first post. Love the forum!

I talked to them and it's gotta be the Atlantic coast. There's just too many places and too much real estate.

j
Quote: (12-03-2011 06:25 PM)Menace Wrote:  

I talked to them and it's gotta be the Atlantic coast. There's just too many places and too much real estate.
Ok..Make sure you start your search At Jensen Beach and south. No Vero, No Daytona, No Jacksonville. Look at Hutchinson Island in Stuart it's like 20 minutes north of West Palm. Not the north side of the island up near Ft Pierce though.

I'm not into all the bullshit in Miami so that would be my pick. don't worry there's plenty of slutty girls there. Search it out and tell me what you think

Sounds good, thanks very much mech.

Ft. Lauderdale is nice and only 30 minutes drive from Downtown Miami. Also not full of pensioners as you might think; I went to a awesome (& messy) houseparty there [Image: wink.gif] in 2010 - the bars and restaurants are nice and quite a young crowd.....yes there's even pussy. [Image: smile.gif]

Layercake

"You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son."

My Facebook Profile

Quote: (12-06-2011 10:44 AM)Layercake Wrote:  

Ft. Lauderdale is nice and only 30 minutes drive from Downtown Miami. Also not full of pensioners as you might think; I went to a awesome (& messy) houseparty there [Image: wink.gif] in 2010 - the bars and restaurants are nice and quite a young crowd.....yes there's even pussy. [Image: smile.gif]

I'd suggest something similar. Look for a decent condo in Broward county like Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale area. The drive to Miami isn't too bad from there, so you'd have access to both metro areas. Miami is probably better for renting apartments than buying real estate.

If you go further north into Palm Beach county, etc. it starts to feel more like the rest of America - boring suburbs, strip malls and retirement communities. Not as conducive to the international player lifestyle.

If you go further north into Palm Beach county, etc. it starts to feel more like the rest of America - boring suburbs, strip malls and retirement communities. Not as conducive to the international player lifestyle.

[/quote]

Haha - like this. Agreed. [Image: dodgy.gif]

Layercake

"You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son."

My Facebook Profile

His parents are buying the condo. Do you guys think they care about international player lifestyle? I wouldn't send my mother into Broward or Dade to buy a retirement condo.

My parent's priorities come first, so if I have to drive a bit for the girls, that's fine. Also, there are, how shall I put this, neighborhood ethnic considerations as well (reality, sorry). I'm actually looking around the Boca Raton area now. Amazing how much inventory there is. Apparently Canadians are buying up property in Florida like there is no tomorrow.

Don't overlook the northeast part of Florida. I live here and it's a pretty cool place to live especially if you can find a place on one of the barrier islands (where I live). Much more affordable than the southern portion of the state, and it's not balls hot all of the time. Plus the crime here is way below the national average. The surf here is better than the southern part of the state and with the way the gulf stream is the furthest away from the entire coast of the US, hurricanes aren't a problem. Hasn't been one here since 1964. I highly recommend it.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Apocalypse Cometh

Quote: (12-07-2011 10:21 AM)Menace Wrote:  

My parent's priorities come first, so if I have to drive a bit for the girls, that's fine. Also, there are, how shall I put this, neighborhood ethnic considerations as well (reality, sorry). I'm actually looking around the Boca Raton area now. Amazing how much inventory there is. Apparently Canadians are buying up property in Florida like there is no tomorrow.

Your parents will like it here.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Apocalypse Cometh

Menace,

Did this ever go down?

My parents are thinking the same thing.

I grew up in Gainesville,FL but went to high school in WPB. Three places you should consider (I'm not not including Miami) are WPB, Ft Lauderdale, and North Palm Beach. North Palm Beach is actually a sneaky little move. Depending on where you are it's only a 10 minute drive to downtown WPB and definitely cheaper. 1) Throw it up on airbnb, homeaway, etc while it's not being used. 2) Read G's data drop on PB. 3) If you roll suited down zippo game down here the results can be astonishing.

These areas will offer more balance between the goals of your folks and your own...moreso than Miami. It will also be cheaper and offer easier access to girls compared to Miami.

(full disclosure I do Manhattan real estate but am also licensed in Florida. I've been looking into this for awhile although my main goal is short-term rental value.)

We used to vacation near Daytona Beach, but I am guessing that's not a good place to buy.

Where did you vacation near Daytona Beach? Just curious because I have some property in Ormond Beach, which has always been a pretty nice and peaceful area.

Quote: (06-29-2012 09:52 AM)Shamrock Wrote:  

3) If you roll suited down zippo game down here the results can be astonishing.

No doubt.

I am kicking myself for not going back to Ft. Lauderdale.

Later this year I will post up there real hard.

What do you think is the best hotel to stay there?

Which spots do you like to hit up?

Quote: (06-29-2012 10:53 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (06-29-2012 09:52 AM)Shamrock Wrote:  

3) If you roll suited down zippo game down here the results can be astonishing.

No doubt.

I am kicking myself for not going back to Ft. Lauderdale.

Later this year I will post up there real hard.

What do you think is the best hotel to stay there?

Which spots do you like to hit up?
I honestly cannot offer much value here. I lived in WPB during high school so whenever I go back I'm visiting family for only a few days at a time. I've never stayed in a hotel there. I usually stay at a buddy's condo on the beach and operate from there for a night or two. In exchange he gets to stay in my NYC pad. My brother is a liquor rep for Southern Wine & Spirits for PBC so I always have a huge leg up wherever we go. Still does not diminish the overwhelming power of suited down / zippo game here. Almost NOBODY is doing it so I absolutely blow guys out of the water.

I have some notes from my trips so I'll see if I can put anything useful together. The places to be don't really change that much (unlike NYC).

I've received a ton of value from this board and a lot of the guys here so time to start giving back.

Quote: (06-29-2012 09:11 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Menace,

Did this ever go down?

My parents are thinking the same thing.

Yes it did. They ended up buying a place in Boca Raton. ~1700 sq. ft., 2 br., needs some updates, I think they paid $70K. Over 55 community, two pools, tennis courts, near upscale mall.

If you want I can PM location of complex where they bought.

Quote: (06-29-2012 09:54 AM)JayMillz Wrote:  

We used to vacation near Daytona Beach, but I am guessing that's not a good place to buy.

Where did you vacation near Daytona Beach? Just curious because I have some property in Ormond Beach, which has always been a pretty nice and peaceful area.

New Smyrna Beach. Great memories. I want to go there again.