rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Musician gigs at bars/restaurants?

I've had experience working as a waiter and bus-boy in busy restaurants, which was pretty good for meeting girls or groups of girls coming in, but now I don't have time for a part-time job. I was thinking of getting some friends together to play live entertainment (think jazz band) at restaurants or lounges, but I don't know what the pay, tips, and hours are like for these types of acts.

I imagine it could be a nice gig for some young guys because:

-you get some drinks or food on the house
-the bar patrons/audience might buy you some drinks
-bar patrons might give you some cash tips
-you get to meet a lot of female staff and customers when you go to different restaurants.
-you get $ for your performance

I was just wondering if there's anyone here who's worked that kind of odd job and can tell me if my expectations are realistic. Also, how long are the hours? Do you usually stay until closing? How much time in-between songs to you get to talk to the chicks there? Does the fact that you're playing get you extra attention from customers/ waitresses/ bartenders? Should you get business cards to hand out to female customers so they can contact you on the sly under the guise of "playing at their next party" without seeming like a groupie?

Quote: (11-23-2011 06:35 PM)YoungGunner Wrote:  

I've had experience working as a waiter and bus-boy in busy restaurants, which was pretty good for meeting girls or groups of girls coming in, but now I don't have time for a part-time job. I was thinking of getting some friends together to play live entertainment (think jazz band) at restaurants or lounges, but I don't know what the pay, tips, and hours are like for these types of acts.

I imagine it could be a nice gig for some young guys because:

-you get some drinks or food on the house
-the bar patrons/audience might buy you some drinks
-bar patrons might give you some cash tips
-you get to meet a lot of female staff and customers when you go to different restaurants.
-you get $ for your performance

I was just wondering if there's anyone here who's worked that kind of odd job and can tell me if my expectations are realistic. Also, how long are the hours? Do you usually stay until closing? How much time in-between songs to you get to talk to the chicks there? Does the fact that you're playing get you extra attention from customers/ waitresses/ bartenders? Should you get business cards to hand out to female customers so they can contact you on the sly under the guise of "playing at their next party" without seeming like a groupie?

Everything depends on the venue's wants and needs when you negotiate. If you're just starting out, and your band is really good, customary range can be $100-200 a gig. You do sets, maybe 6 cover tunes per hour or so, take 15-30 minute breaks, (socializing with the whores time) then back to the set. Total time may be 2-4 hours ,depending on venue size , and needs. The pay is minimal as you can see, and then you have to divide that up betwixt your band members. That's the downside when first starting out.

The upside is, if you guys are really good, and start developing a following, the whores will be all over it in no time. You probably will have to carry a stick to beat these whores off , if word gets out that you're good. Get business cards, get a face book page of you and your band, create blog.

Good luck.

My good friend is a musician who plays shows and bars and clubs. He gets tons of pussy.

This is a good example of how to build some local celebrity status.

I had friends who formed a ska band and were basically local legends. They ended up playing at some really quality venues before breaking up. If you're a musician, definitely go for it.

You should also consider playing in a band for cruise ships. I had a friend who was a vocalist and came really close to doing this. I've never been a musician, so I don't know about how tough it is to break in. You'll probably have to do a bit of networking but you'd be getting paid to travel, network and would have some awesome job experience for future employers.

Edit: DJing is another awesome skill you guys should look into. Assuming you learn the basics (beatmatching, mixing, scratching) all you need to DJ nowadays is a laptop with some mixing software. You can make a killing at weddings, parties, etc.

Quote: (11-25-2011 12:28 PM)November Wrote:  

I had friends who formed a ska band and were basically local legends. They ended up playing at some really quality venues before breaking up. If you're a musician, definitely go for it.

You should also consider playing in a band for cruise ships. I had a friend who was a vocalist and came really close to doing this. I've never been a musician, so I don't know about how tough it is to break in. You'll probably have to do a bit of networking but you'd be getting paid to travel, network and would have some awesome job experience for future employers.

Edit: DJing is another awesome skill you guys should look into. Assuming you learn the basics (beatmatching, mixing, scratching) all you need to DJ nowadays is a laptop with some mixing software. You can make a killing at weddings, parties, etc.

What was the ska bands name?

Quote: (11-25-2011 12:28 PM)November Wrote:  

DJing is another awesome skill you guys should look into. Assuming you learn the basics (beatmatching, mixing, scratching) all you need to DJ nowadays is a laptop with some mixing software. You can make a killing at weddings, parties, etc.

Speaking from years of experience i would seriously recommend reading these 2 books before or during your learning how to DJ.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-DJ-Properly-...0593049667

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Night-DJ-Save...0802136885

The first one is a fun and easy way to learn how to apply the techniques involved in beatmatching,scratching etc with very easy to understand diagrams.
The second book is a history of the evolution of DJ-ing which is just a great read.
Cut your teeth before you step up to the club.

Being in a band is better than owning a yacht. Not because of getting pussy, but because music is ecstasy. You will have some SERIOUS competition though, I was sort of the second best guitarist in a medium sized college town, I had practiced quite a lot and really had my moments, but there was another dude who was really a flat-out genius that ended up getting on a Jaco Pastorius album.

He's now in Thailand, can't stand the US.

now the drummers.... they get the preppy, upper middle class chicks to fuck their brains out, tell them they love them, and then have their babies... now THAT'S Alpha...

Singers get all the hot dumb bitches.

Guitarists get the smart girls and hot strippers.

Drummers get all the skanks.

Bass players get all the hippy chicks.

Team Nachos

Djs at large venues , and festivals, have to carry a cane. I hung out with 3 huge Djs in Ibiza, and I have never seen anything like it in my life. I was happy to get the crumbs.