rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Washington Nationals catcher kidnapped in Venezuela

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/was...story.html

If you are rich in Venezuela you better have some serious body guards and protection, cuz best believe someone is coming for you.

Hopefully this dude gets released and is not found dead dumped on the side of the road.

No doubt. Venezuela is probably the worst place in the world right now if you're famous/wealthy. And comparitively speaking, this kid isn't as wealthy as a lot of ballplayers because he's just a rookie. They usually don't harm you, but there's can always be exceptions for someone desperate enough.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

These guys are basically walking targets. They don't know how to blend in. Someone should have warned him, but you can't roll around like a baller in dangerous countries like that. When I travel abroad, I try as hard as possible not to come across as American. Attire, attitude, mannerisms, dialect, everything. It's easiest to go with Canadian, because my British/Scottish accents suck (except when extremely drunk!).

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

Quote: (11-10-2011 11:51 AM)Gmac Wrote:  

These guys are basically walking targets. They don't know how to blend in. Someone should have warned him, but you can't roll around like a baller in dangerous countries like that. When I travel abroad, I try as hard as possible not to come across as American. Attire, attitude, mannerisms, dialect, everything. It's easiest to go with Canadian, because my British/Scottish accents suck (except when extremely drunk!).

The problem with ballplayers is more about everyone knowing who they are, and not so much them showing off their wealth. They're native Venezuelans, so from the first time there's a story about local boy making good, everyone knows you and your family, painting the bullseye on ALL of you. Like most, they don't want to move from their home country permanently (it's a point of pride to return in the off-season, play in summer leagues, do what you can for your old neighborhood, etc.). It's like a guy here that comes from a bad neighborhood, makes good, but refuses to move. Sooner or later, someone will jack him.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

There is a movie on thsi very topic you can Netflix. It's called "Secuestro express" -- Not for those viewers with weak hearts or stomachs.

Mixx

He's free and alive. Huge police shootout apparently. Glad he's safe.