rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Becoming a freemason

Becoming a freemason

I was recently having a conversation with a friend of mine and somehow we were talking about secret societies and he mentioned that he became a freemason a couple of years ago through his dad. He asked me if I would also want to be one and I said I'll think about it. I did some browsing and it seems that it's some strange fraternity working towards being a better man. Does anyone have experience with freemasonry?

Becoming a freemason

I was thinking the same thing this month, I'm only 21 but I also been interested in becoming a Freemason. After all George Washington initiate around the same age, which is very encouraging.

Becoming a freemason

I'm a Master Mason, which is a third degree Mason and the highest level you can obtain. There are other degrees that appear higher (such as 33rd degree) but they are from separate organizations such as Scottish Rite, Shriners, etc.

You must petition a particular lodge and be sponsored by two Masons, who essentially vouch for you. Your petition is then voted on and must be passed unanimously. If approved, you are initiated at the first degree (Entered Apprentice), you do some work to achieve second degree (Fellowcraft), some more work, and then you can become a 3rd degree, or Master Mason. The most common way to move up through the degrees from 1st to 3rd is to work 1v1 with a coach where he teaches you a catechism. It is essentially A LOT of memorization, but the kicker is that it's all by voice...nothing is ever written down. So you will learn to speak like a Mason as George Washington did but it won't be easy. It is very rewarding..and it's not uncommon to question early on why you are spending so much time with it. Stick with it and you'll be rewarded.

Freemasonry is based on ritual. A lot of what we do is scripted and has been passed down verbally for hundreds of years. When you are new, you don't understand much but as you participate more and understand what is being spoken, you see the real beauty in it and truly how the craft teaches you to be a better person. There is no witchcraft or weird satanic cult like some people claim. I am a Christian and would head for the door first I came across any of that stuff. Speaking of religion, you must believe in a higher being (God) but religion is never discussed in lodge (nor politics).

The greatest thing about Freemasonry is that once you're initiated, you instantly (and eternally) belong to the group and are treated as a brother. Whether at your own lodge or some random lodge in Germany, you are a brother and you will be treated as such. You'll often hear that we are not a secretive organization, we are an organization that has secrets. Some people think they will get in to just network but that won't last long. You should be committed to your lodge and your brothers. You can trust your Mason brothers with your girlfriend or wife (unlike with the gents on this board!). There is far too much for me to type, but feel free to let me know if you have any further questions. A lot can be found on the Internet. Good luck.

Becoming a freemason

Before you make a decision like this I suggest you do a little research on the Freemasons. Most freemasons are good people. But I do believe the inner circle of freemasonary is quite evil.

Becoming a freemason

Very interesting info there, Smitty. What about getting out if you don't like it anymore? Is that an option? And what do those rituals accomplish?

Becoming a freemason

I always thought they were connected to extraterrestrials that gave them the secret knowledge or something. What the hell is the big secret though anyways? Like if a free mason went rogue and put all the secrets into one big ebook and shared it with the world would there be some kind of revolution or something?

Becoming a freemason

Quote: (10-29-2011 05:18 PM)Donald Duck Wrote:  

Very interesting info there, Smitty. What about getting out if you don't like it anymore? Is that an option? And what do those rituals accomplish?

You can leave anytime you don't like it. You can also be kicked out if you commit a felony or are otherwise not an upstanding citizen. If you don't pay your annual dues, you'll be booted and cannot join a lodge anywhere else while suspended.

Becoming a freemason

Quote: (10-29-2011 05:27 PM)Riker Wrote:  

I always thought they were connected to extraterrestrials that gave them the secret knowledge or something. What the hell is the big secret though anyways? Like if a free mason went rogue and put all the secrets into one big ebook and shared it with the world would there be some kind of revolution or something?

Nothing at all happens. Duncans ritual...look it up.
A lot of the ritual work is just based off tradition.

Just like certain secret college fraternities have rituals they perform...Freemasonry is no different in that respect.

Becoming a freemason

Some people watch too much Sci Fi.

Smitty, what kind of annual dues are those you mention?

By the way, how does a brotherhood with 33 degrees differ from one with only 3 degrees as you mention?

Becoming a freemason

I'm hearing so much stuff about freemasons but I have still have no idea what the heck it is or why I should join.

Becoming a freemason

Quote: (10-29-2011 09:08 PM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Some people watch too much Sci Fi.

Smitty, what kind of annual dues are those you mention?

By the way, how does a brotherhood with 33 degrees differ from one with only 3 degrees as you mention?

FretDancer, dues vary by lodge (there are hundreds if not thousands of lodges in the U.S. alone). You can expect an initiation fee of about $100-200 and annual dues around $100 depending on where you live. It's more expensive at my lodge.

Freemasonry has three degrees, 3rd being highest and 'final.' But there are several other 'branches' of freemasonry - Scottish Rite, Shriners, York Rite, etc. A 33rd degree Mason is actually a member of the Scottish Rite. I can't tell you what it takes to get to the 33rd degree because I'm not a member of that fraternity. The important point is that the three degrees of Masonry (discussed above) are the foundation for every other type (scottish rite, etc).
A Freemason is a member of a "Blue lodge" - that is your mother lodge to which you pay your dues and belong. You can switch lodges if you move, or you can be a member to more than one lodge (and pay dues to each one). Masons will typically try to stay a member of their mother lodge forever, even if they move, but you get nothing out of it if you aren't at least joining a lodge in your new location. There are lodges everywhere, including the Philippines (the filipinos are getting into Masonry a lot here in the states). Anywhere you travel, you can just show up and "sit" in lodge as a visitor. That lodge will typically test you to make sure you're a Mason, or check with your mother lodge, but once cleared, you can show up, eat with them, talk, and participate in their lodge. Anywhere around the world.

Becoming a freemason

Quote: (10-29-2011 10:59 PM)torontokid Wrote:  

I'm hearing so much stuff about freemasons but I have still have no idea what the heck it is or why I should join.

Toronto, check out the wikipedia page for some history and background. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry

It's a fraternity. People of all backgrounds join for many different reasons and once you're a 'brother,' you have friends in many places who will help you along the way (and you'll help them). Lawyers, accountants, plumbers, mechanics, the list goes on.
I haven't seen Masonry appeal much to the younger (under 25) group, but there is great potential there for young people to get established in a lodge and build a huge network across multiple lodges. You get out of it what you put into it.

All male fraternity full of men with good values, so definitely not a place to talk about gaming pussy!

Becoming a freemason

Only thing that's holding me back is that I am Atheist.

Becoming a freemason

Quote: (10-30-2011 07:36 AM)Donald Duck Wrote:  

Only thing that's holding me back is that I am Atheist.

Some lodges (eg. under the Grand Orient of France) will let you in without belief in a supreme being.

These lodges are not recognized by Anglo-Masonic lodges, however.

Anyway, this is the only lodge I'm interested in joining right now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_Due

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Becoming a freemason

I suppose a Deist is acceptable?

Becoming a freemason

Quote: (10-30-2011 09:04 PM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Actually most freemason belief is based on deism. Remember that the original masons were laid the foundations of the movement when deism was at its height.

I'm not going to divulge my relation with the society but I will say that if you plan to use it for networking then your money and time is best spent elsewhere. If you have a true interest to belong to an old boys club (I say that in a good way) and you're willing to do the work described by Smitty as well as pay the occasionally steep fees - then the masons or the odd fellows are probably your best bet.

Becoming a freemason

Nice to hear from freemasons here. You guys are everywhere.

Joking aside, I browsed the web some time ago looking for lodges in Madrid. They said many people want to join them and they choose only a few after some interviews, and the criteria was if they had something to contribute to the community. So I ask you, what kind of people are lodges looking for? (that criteria are very vague and can mean anything). And is the situation the same in your countries?

Becoming a freemason

Quote: (10-31-2011 01:55 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

Actually most freemason belief is based on deism. Remember that the original masons were laid the foundations of the movement when deism was at its height.

I'm not going to divulge my relation with the society but I will say that if you plan to use it for networking then your money and time is best spent elsewhere. If you have a true interest to belong to an old boys club (I say that in a good way) and you're willing to do the work described by Smitty as well as pay the occasionally steep fees - then the masons or the odd fellows are probably your best bet.

My desires to join the Masons is simply the rewarding feeling of belonging to a brotherhood that wants to make the world better, the knowledge that the men in it are capable of teaching and giving to others too.

Becoming a freemason

Quote: (10-31-2011 02:18 PM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Quote: (10-31-2011 01:55 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

My desires to join the Masons is simply the rewarding feeling of belonging to a brotherhood that wants to make the world better, the knowledge that the men in it are capable of teaching and giving to others too.

You should talk with your local lodge...based on what you said, you'd enjoy it and I'm sure they'd love to have you. If you want more info or need help connecting with some Masons, feel free to PM me.

Becoming a freemason

Quote: (10-31-2011 05:30 AM)Hawk Wrote:  

Nice to hear from freemasons here. You guys are everywhere.

Joking aside, I browsed the web some time ago looking for lodges in Madrid. They said many people want to join them and they choose only a few after some interviews, and the criteria was if they had something to contribute to the community. So I ask you, what kind of people are lodges looking for? (that criteria are very vague and can mean anything). And is the situation the same in your countries?

In my lodge in the U.S., we absolutely do not screen potential brothers based on what they can contribute to the community. In fact, I don't know any Masons who only recruit based on that criteria. We are simply looking for men who wish to improve in all aspects of their lives and who will in return mentor and help younger brothers.
Every lodge is different and comprised of many different men.

Becoming a freemason

" We are simply looking for men"

Signomi couldn't let that slide. Smith, some of my cousins are masons and will not explain it to me. I think that they just like the ring.
These dudes barely speak english sooo..what's the connect?

Becoming a freemason

Quote: (10-31-2011 08:16 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Signomi couldn't let that slide. Smith, some of my cousins are masons and will not explain it to me. I think that they just like the ring.

Ha, yea those dirty bastards bragging with the jewelry. Typical greeks! I don't ride with the jewelry and emblems -- not my thing. There's a good network among Masons...an instant trust and recognition that opens doors. It's hard to balance being a good guy with a secret nightlife of chasing pussy!

On a separate note, I'll be heading to Florida to visit a female friend. Should I bring her to Clearwater? She's just a friend. She's tough, but you want to take a crack at fucking her?

Becoming a freemason

Quote: (10-31-2011 08:57 PM)Smitty Wrote:  

Quote: (10-31-2011 08:16 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Ha, yea those dirty bastards bragging with the jewelry. Typical greeks! I don't ride with the jewelry and emblems -- not my thing. There's a good network among Masons...an instant trust and recognition that opens doors. It's hard to balance being a good guy with a secret nightlife of chasing pussy!

On a separate note, I'll be heading to Florida to visit a female friend. Should I bring her to Clearwater? She's just a friend. She's tough, but you want to take a crack at fucking her?
Where does she live and yes you HAVE to come here.