rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Any of you guys MMA fans?

Asking if any of you guys seriously follow MMA?

I used to watch almost all of the UFC's when they would come on. Hell, I even watched a lot of the old Pride FC events on the net.

I am not as big of a fan anymore, not sure why.

However, I am probably going to go see UFC 137 just to see Nick Diaz's crazy ass fight BJ Penn. Bound to be some interesting antics. I will probably watch it at a local bikini/sports bar, but it tends to get packed with dudes wearing MMA shirts (affliction, tapout, etc.), so I am not sure. Don't really want to shell out for the PPV though, so I probably will go.

yeah, i feel the same way. i think part of it is that its lost its 'newness' since its gone mainstream, part of it is an oversatuation since it seems like there has been an event every weekend for the last 3 months, and part of it is just bad luck w/injuries since a lot of the big name stars haven't been fighting recently (like GSP this weekend).

Easy E you can watch it online for free.

Anytime the big names are fighting im def tuning in!

I'm not really a fan but last week I was watching Caldeirao do Huck in Rio, he had Justin Bieber and Anderson Silva on and interviewing them together. Anderson Silva ended up dressed like Bieber and did a stupid Bieber dance to his song. I couldn't watch any more of it. I left the old lady and kids in the apartment and went to the corner bar to drink beer and watch soccer.

Quote: (10-28-2011 09:37 AM)Easy E Wrote:  

Asking if any of you guys seriously follow MMA?

You asking about watching or practicing?

MMA is a snoozefest. I respect the sport, but it is boring watching guys dry hump one another into submission.

And why isn't there an intercontinental champion in MMA?!

Quote: (10-29-2011 09:31 AM)Luckystar Wrote:  

MMA is a snoozefest. I respect the sport, but it is boring watching guys dry hump one another into submission.

And why isn't there an intercontinental champion in MMA?!

There is plenty of fighters that just are "stand up" guys.

This thread seems dead but I'll contribute since its one of my interests. To be honest, I much prefer Pride Fighting Championships to the former, and certainly current, UFC. The fights were much more raw, and more focused on stand-up I believe, than current UFC which all too often boils down to dry-humping.
Can't forget, the entrances were way more impressive.

The prime days of Fedor, Noguiera, and Cro-Cop were the shit.

I used to order UFC's when they were $29.95 on Friday nights. I'm still a huge fan to this day. For those of you who think it's boring now, it is all fireworks today compared to the days of Pat Miletich. If you understand the sport, even fights where the drunk morons in the cheap seats are booing are fun to watch.

The guy in the blue shirt in the background is a huge fan!

I can understand the people who liked pride alot and dont enjoy the sometimes humpfests that happen in the UFC. The scoring criteria is different than pride and they had yellow cards. UFC scores alot more for control than pride did. I know Pride sometimes was alot more exciting but I dont know if it was the better scoring system.

I was a fairweather fan for years just watching them at my dads friends house and only knowing the big names but after I attented my first event (ufc 84) I pretty much got totally hoooked and now I even enjoy some of the drama from the tuf tv show.

I prefered Pride overall, but there are some pretty epic moments in UFC currently. GSP vs. Condit had me excited for probably the first time ever in a GSP fight. When Belfort armbarred Jones I practically jumped out of my seat.

That said, I think the Pride guys were just more likely to go balls-to-the-wall. Watching Wanderlei and Fedor when they were younger, you just didn't know if in thirty seconds time somebody's head was going to end up in the audience.

(That said, I am somewhat biased: I was introduced to MMA by a friend saying there was "a tubby Russian guy who beat the shit out of everyone.")

Why would I watch two grown men dry humping on the ground, when I could watch a real sport like boxing?

Rolling around on each other practicing their "jhoo jheetzu"

Quote: (10-29-2011 09:31 AM)Luckystar Wrote:  

This.
I really tried to like MMA, but, I can't stand how boring submission holds make the sport. I'd rather just watch boxing, which, is saying a lot.

Quote: (12-13-2012 05:01 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Why would I watch two grown men dry humping on the ground, when I could watch a real sport like boxing?

Because... this:

[Image: banana.gif]

I'm surprised it took this long for this thread to turn into boxing vs mma.

BTW my comment was an entirely sarcastic homage to a line Chael Sonnen once said.

I actually love both MMA and jiu jitsu.

Jiu Jitsu isn't even a real sport. In a street fight, Tony would have KOed Randy in three seconds. Look at Randy Couture's record. He's lost like 50% of his fights. And he is in the MMA HALL OF FAME?!? Get out of here. Put Mayweather in the cage against St. Pierre and Mayweather knocks him out inside of 10 seconds. If Matt "The Midget" Serra can KO the "UFC Champion" with a sloppy haymaker, any amateur level boxer would destroy him.

Quote: (12-13-2012 12:01 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Jiu Jitsu isn't even a real sport. In a street fight, Tony would have KOed Randy in three seconds. Look at Randy Couture's record. He's lost like 50% of his fights. And he is in the MMA HALL OF FAME?!? Get out of here. Put Mayweather in the cage against St. Pierre and Mayweather knocks him out inside of 10 seconds. If Matt "The Midget" Serra can KO the "UFC Champion" with a sloppy haymaker, any amateur level boxer would destroy him.

If it was a street fight Toney would have been put to sleep with that arm triangle.

Without some sort of weapon I dont see what Toney does differently in a street fight to avoid Coutures take down.

I agree randy loses 10 out of 10 in boxing but in an overall fight Toney barely stands a chance.

A couples friends just got me into MMA. Do any of you have any good resources for learning the sport and the major players in it?

Quote: (12-13-2012 06:13 PM)iWin Wrote:  

A couples friends just got me into MMA. Do any of you have any good resources for learning the sport and the major players in it?

The Internet and the Television are pretty decent resources.

http://www.sherdog.com

http://www.mmafighting.com

@murrb my wild guess is that RioNomad is joking

Quote: (12-13-2012 06:16 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

The Internet and the Television are pretty decent resources.

No need to be a smartass either answer the question or STFU. Come on now.

deleted