rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I got robbed in Salvador - Brazil

I got robbed/pick pocketed last night at some (favela)street party. Some 10 year old boy distracted me and felt my pockets. I tried to protect my stuff but he was lighting fast and took my camera out of my pocket.

But this old dog is fast too. When he tried to run, i grabbed him by his throat, smacked him hard on the street, squeezed the life out his little neck and searched his pockets.

The camera was already handed over to some one else. I want to give him an interrogation beating but than i realized half the Salvador ghetto was watching me. A 3 year camera is not worth getting my ass beaten for. Lost all my Brazil pictures [Image: sad.gif]

Most favela people were shocked by my brutal action and one even gave me a compliment for not taking shit.

The little boy kept around us, teasing us and the small group from the hostel i was with got scared and we left.

Nontheless, i have to buy a new camera now in expensive Brazil, that's gonna set me back at least 200 dollars out of my already depleted tight budget. The thing i'm most pissed about is the fact that my camera survived my trip for 2 and half year and i have only two months to go before i head back to safe Holland. Now have to protect a new camera.

Girls are not all that great here either. Did one approach yesterday at the beach but hit the language barrier, they seemed interested, hanging around me and giggling a lot. They were very young though.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Salvador is a dump. Go anywhere else... Natal, Maceio, Joao Passoa.

In Lapa (Rio) I saw about six young boys swarm a Brazilian girl and relieve her of her jewelry and purse. It happened so fast I couldn't believe it. The boys lingered not more than 100 feet away, splitting her belongings with impunity. Not like the girl was going to chase them down.

Quote: (10-26-2011 08:42 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

In Lapa (Rio) I saw about six young boys swarm a Brazilian girl and relieve her of her jewelry and purse. It happened so fast I couldn't believe it. The boys lingered not more than 100 feet away, splitting her belongings with impunity. Not like the girl was going to chase them down.

Yep, i heard stories like this before about Rio and Salvador. Today i will get a police report and a new camera. Gonna meet a few couchsurfers tonight and might go to the island of Morro the Sau paulo of the coast of salvador. Everyone recommends me to go there. Salvador is not that special, i walked around the beach a bit and saw a lot on the long busrides to get there. Its a dump. The street party was cool untill my camera got jacked.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

Yeah, this shit happens all the time at the Tuesday night party. Those kids are working for gangs. Go to the clubs in Barra or Rio Vermelho and you might get a different impression of Salvador.

And I don't think beach approaches work at all. It's almost like an unwritten rule at the Salvador beaches that you don't hit on chicks or something. It's weird. Wonder if it's like that everywhere in Brazil...

Yeah happened to a guy I was with in Rio as well. About 9 kids just charged at him and went through his pockets like lightning, even ripped his cheap shitty neck chain off.

Despite this I didnt feel unsafe for a second in Rio, no idea why.

Quote: (10-26-2011 08:50 AM)Neil Skywalker Wrote:  

Yep, i heard stories like this before about Rio and Salvador. Today i will get a police report and a new camera. Gonna meet a few couchsurfers tonight and might go to the island of Morro the Sau paulo of the coast of salvador. Everyone recommends me to go there. Salvador is not that special, i walked around the beach a bit and saw a lot on the long busrides to get there. Its a dump. The street party was cool untill my camera got jacked.

I read a recent piece in the New York Times travel section about that island. I have a connection there and an invite to stay at her house, and I put that island on my agenda. I'm interested in some of the architecture and African history of Salvador, but I really want to see some of the cities to the north. I've read that the crime in Rio kind of rises and falls. There will be periods where the gang violence and robberies spill of the favelas and down into the tourist areas, then recedes. It's always best to try not to look too much like a tourist if you can (camera around the neck, wearing a fanny pack, etc.), and to not have on jewelry - at least not expensive looking jewelry. Wear a cheap watch instead of your nice one. I like to take pictures, and always want to have a camera on me, but it's tough there.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

I live in Centro, just a few blocks from Lapa. There are a few nice places to nightlife there and it can be dangerous. Lapa also has a lot of trannies so if you approach a girl in one of the clubs, make sure that she is a real girl,

I had read plenty of stories on the internet about this stuff going on in Salvador before I went down. My friend and I, every night we went out didn't keep anything in our pockets, we kept our money in our socks.

Sure enough, there were 2-3 occasions where someone's hand reached into my pocket. They are super quick. And yeah, they were almost always young boys.

And yeah, Salvador is a dump. If it weren't for the beach there'd be no reason to go. Women there are ugly.

Well, if this is the worst that would happen to me and im ok with it. In hindsind i have to be glad i didn't get my ass kicked by a gang. There were lots of big black dudes around who might have known the boy.

I acted pure on instinct and was gonna interrogate him, slap him around a bit and demand my camera back when i had him pinned down on the street chocked pretty bad. When i looked around most of the people looked shocked at this. I thought there would probably be more of them around.

I would seriously slapped the shit out of him to get my stuff back if i was surrounded by favela people who might protect one of their own.

If he's old enough to steal in this way , than he's old enough for a beating.

Funny thing was that i was still holding my beer while choking and searching the kid, realised that after.

He might have been on some glue or something, he kept lingering around our group and even snatched a cigarette out of my mouth. He had balls i give him that. After this the girls got scared and wanted to go back to the hostel

Quote:Quote:

Funny thing was that i was still holding my beer while choking and searching the kid, realised that after.

You're a man with priorities...

Honestly though, 2+ years in like 40 countries or however many you've been to, losing one camera is not bad (one could even say it's to be expected). I've lucked out and still haven't had anything stolen, although there have been a few attempts on me. But this kind of stuff happens in developing countries. Think of it as a travel tax.

Quote: (10-26-2011 11:55 AM)Entropy4 Wrote:  

Honestly though, 2+ years in like 40 countries or however many you've been to, losing one camera is not bad (one could even say it's to be expected). I've lucked out and still haven't had anything stolen, although there have been a few attempts on me. But this kind of stuff happens in developing countries. Think of it as a travel tax.

I had two watches stolen in Mexico. One while I was getting a handjob in a stripclub in Tiajuana, the other in a fight on a back alley in Rosarita. Fell asleep during a massage in Phuket and had a necklace stolen. In each instance I was drunk, and take the blame b/c of it.

I wear these beneath a button down to keep my wallet and passport safe while traveling. It would be impossible for someone to reach into it, and your valuables will remain undetected even during a quick patdown.

[attachment=3440]

how the hell do you get a watch stolen? i was in Mexico many many years ago making out w/a local when I felt the bitch try and get my watch off my wrist but I was able to widen my hand so she couldnt get it off. i guess if it was a strap it would be a little easier to snake

Quote: (10-26-2011 12:23 PM)Brian Wrote:  

how the hell do you get a watch stolen? i was in Mexico many many years ago making out w/a local when I felt the bitch try and get my watch off my wrist but I was able to widen my hand so she couldnt get it off. i guess if it was a strap it would be a little easier to snake

Haha. The handjob was really, really good. I never felt her undo the strap. The other watch fell off during the brawl. Me and my roommate were holding our own, but were grossly outnumbered and decided to fall back before knives and guns came into play. I realized the watch had fallen off but wasn't going back to get it. $80 isn't worth dying over.

Quote: (10-26-2011 12:16 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I had two watches stolen in Mexico. One while I was getting a handjob in a stripclub in Tiajuana, the other in a fight on a back alley in Rosarita. Fell asleep during a massage in Phuket and had a necklace stolen. In each instance I was drunk, and take the blame b/c of it.

I wear these beneath a button down to keep my wallet and passport safe while traveling. It would be impossible for someone to reach into it, and your valuables will remain undetected even during a quick patdown.

[Image: attachment.jpg3440]

This was a joke right?

You wear a wetsuit out at night?

Quote: (10-26-2011 12:16 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Pardon my ignorance, I'm a bit tired but is that body armour for valuables or are you referring to the vest? It looks like something one wears for combat?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

lol, if anyone was rolling to clubs in kevlar under their shirt, I would have guessed it was G.

http://www.gearboxsales.com/content-prod...shirt.html

The shirt is no different than an under armour heat gear, not kevlar. It wears well under button down shirts, and wicks away sweat far more efficiently than a cotton undershirt or wife beater. Perfect for hot weather. Wears great under body armor too. Just another modern marvel of technology.

I've spent years in jungles, deserts, swamps, warzones. You learn to adapt with the best gear possible to be as comfortable as you can. The same mindset goes with your swooping attire.

Doesn't look like good nightlife wear though tbh. I've luckily never been robbed on my world travels yet, those kids in lapa swarmed round a friend of mines in an attempt to empty his pockets going under the lapa arches but I swatted them away before they could get anything. That's as close as I've come.

Don't roll in Brazil like this....
[attachment=3441]

I had a guy in Buenos Aires tell me he was going to stab me if I didn't give him my iPod. Was in broad daylight and a really nice neighborhood. He was about 8 inches shorter than me and I stared him down for a second. Decided he was full of shit and told him no. He got really nervous and told me again to give him my iPod. I said no again and was getting ready to throw down when he finally scurried off.

That's about as close as I've come...

I can't believe that little fucker stood around after you whooped his ass. He probably wasn't used to people fighting back and secretly wanted some more.

Quote: (10-27-2011 07:38 AM)Sardino Wrote:  

I can't believe that little fucker stood around after you whooped his ass. He probably wasn't used to people fighting back and secretly wanted some more.

Hey Sardino, did you find a pad in belo horizonte ?

i got him pretty quick and the camera was already gone when i searched his pockets. He must have some buddies around. That little fucker had balls the size of bowling balls. People here tell me those kids use drugs. I got some angry looks from some big dudes there.

He was lurking around and the girls of the hostel got scared( and one of the guys also) to get their stuff stolen, the mood was ruined and we decided to leave.

Basically you cant walk around Pelionhino after 9pm. Yesterday a girl dropped me off at the hostel at 11.30pm and we drove through that neighbourhood, there was so much scum on the street. She told that a blond haired guy like me would get robbed or worse for sure at this time of night.

Quote: (10-27-2011 01:57 AM)Entropy4 Wrote:  

I had a guy in Buenos Aires tell me he was going to stab me if I didn't give him my iPod. Was in broad daylight and a really nice neighborhood. He was about 8 inches shorter than me and I stared him down for a second. Decided he was full of shit and told him no. He got really nervous and told me again to give him my iPod. I said no again and was getting ready to throw down when he finally scurried off.

That's about as close as I've come...

I heard of this a few times in BA, people being robbed in nice neighbourhoods at knife or gun point in the middle of the day with other people around in the street.

Quote: (10-27-2011 07:59 AM)chochemonger1 Wrote:  

Hey Sardino, did you find a pad in belo horizonte ?

I've looked at few more places, they were either farther away than advertised, or in one case I would have to sneak into the building every time I wanted to get in because the women was running an illegal hostel. Still at my friend's house. I'm gonna try looking for a room near FUMEC since there is a bunch of college pussy running around over there.

Quote: (10-27-2011 08:08 AM)Neil Skywalker Wrote:  

i got him pretty quick and the camera was already gone when i searched his pockets. He must have some buddies around. That little fucker had balls the size of bowling balls. People here tell me those kids use drugs. I got some angry looks from some big dudes there.

He was lurking around and the girls of the hostel got scared( and one of the guys also) to get their stuff stolen, the mood was ruined and we decided to leave.

Basically you cant walk around Pelionhino after 9pm. Yesterday a girl dropped me off at the hostel at 11.30pm and we drove through that neighbourhood, there was so much scum on the street. She told that a blond haired guy like me would get robbed or worse for sure at this time of night.

How did the girls react to you after you worked over the kid? Did they look at you like a monster for hurting some poor third world kid who has no choice but to steal because the global capitalist system made him poor, or did their pants get wet as they watched you enact justice upon a thug who supports himself by terrorizing those weaker than him?