rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What would you do in my situation

Let's say you're 31 years old in a career which you've been wanting to quit for a long time (7+ years).

You live in a major city making $100k/year, have a company car with all expenses paid, and work at a client office where you are free to come and go as you please. Every week you pretty much never work on Fridays, and the days you do work, you arrive at 9AM and leave by 2PM. When you get home, you do whatever you want until 5PM (typically just check emails). Your client does not care, and even your boss supports this as long as the work gets done.

The amount of work you actually do is probably no more than 20-25 hours a week if you actually have something to do.

The problem is that you are BORED. There is nobody that serves as a coworker you can bs with at the client office since they are clients; there is no reason to even bother talking to them since you don't have to be there much.

Would you quit your job for one that has actual career progression, where you work 40+ hours a week, albeit it has a higher pay ceiling, but you would take a paycut to do it?

This is my dilemma. I can work from home whenever, but everyone is at work so there's nothing to really do. I've played as much video games as I can, watched pretty much every interesting TV series, etc..

Sounds like you've got what I call a 'cush' situation that most people don't ever get to experience. I would break it down like this.. Do you want to pursue a professional career where you bust your ass and have some potential upside working for someone else or would you rather use the free time to develop mind/body/hobbies/entrepreneurism? I know a bunch of pharma reps in your boat and they either run a side business or just spend the time at the gym/travel/classes/real estate/etc.

Either way it's all about progress forward/growth and there are different ways to achieve that.

Start a family.

Sounds like a great job with a nice routine, have you tried dating girls after work?

[Image: flat,550x550,075,f.u4.jpg]

I would count my blessings.

Quote: (05-20-2019 10:33 PM)Virtual Wrote:  

Sounds like you've got what I call a 'cush' situation that most people don't ever get to experience. I would break it down like this.. Do you want to pursue a professional career where you bust your ass and have some potential upside working for someone else or would you rather use the free time to develop mind/body/hobbies/entrepreneurism? I know a bunch of pharma reps in your boat and they either run a side business or just spend the time at the gym/travel/classes/real estate/etc.

Either way it's all about progress forward/growth and there are different ways to achieve that.

This, you said it all, the situation of OP is a bless.

Just focus on something, either a side business, a hobby or any random killing time activity such as seeing tv series.

Totally forgot to mention another angle to this. Assuming you aren't ready to settle down and are tilted towards more of what to do professionally for the time being. Volunteer/charity work is another great angle. Coaching/volunteering/board work/etc is a great way to itch your professional side while providing a good service to your community. It also acts as a great way to network which often leads to meeting people you trust/respect, who in turn can help you down the road with advice, etc. Again, just my two cents...

If you were in your 50s and retirement was on the horizon, I’d say ride it out. That’s not your situation, however.

As others have said, you have a cushy job. Now, cushy jobs don’t last forever. Assuming you work in the private sector, management changes, the economy changes, and client relationships change. It is very possible that this cushy job could be eliminated or “restructured” sometime in the future. Someone will smarten up that they are effectively overpaying you.

Cushy jobs are great but a major downside is that they condition you to a state of complacency. Spend s long tine there and it will be a shock to the system when you actually need to work hard.

I’m not giving specific advice. This is just more food for thought so you can think about it from all angles.

Quote:Quote:

If you were in your 50s and retirement was on the horizon, I’d say ride it out. That’s not your situation, however.

As others have said, you have a cushy job. Now, cushy jobs don’t last forever. Assuming you work in the private sector, management changes, the economy changes, and client relationships change. It is very possible that this cushy job could be eliminated or “restructured” sometime in the future. Someone will smarten up that they are effectively overpaying you.

Cushy jobs are great but a major downside is that they condition you to a state of complacency. Spend s long tine there and it will be a shock to the system when you actually need to work hard.

I’m not giving specific advice. This is just more food for thought so you can think about it from all angles.

Yes, this is my biggest fear. I know this situation won’t last forever - which is why I want to make better use of my time. It has been like this for about 2 years now, before that it wasn’t so relaxed. I anticipate I can survive this way until late next year.

I got a taste of the management attempting to drive change last year when the CEO tried to restructure everything. I made a case to my boss and he made sure I was not affected.

And you’re absolutely right, I am very complacent. I actually get upset at the smallest things at work because I’ve conditioned myself to believe I shouldn’t have to deal with such things, which isnt true. I have stopped learning, dipped out of the corporate world, and literally feel unemployed. Dangerous situation to be in.

Don't wish for a shittier, more stressful, less well paid job. Try and start a business in your spare time.

The problem is your job is too easy. I'm in the same position albeit my pay is much lesser for it than yours. I have the same struggles but the benefits are too good to give up also its a personal business so theres no point in me finding another job. What I've been focusing on and what you need to do also is find ways to grow your current position rather than just sitting there bored about it everyday. Its up to you to put some effort into life, it wont do it for you.