rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Countries where a westerner can realistically live

These days travel is more popular than ever and a lot of people are visiting different countries (digital nomads, PUAs, backpackers).

But realistically, what are some countries that a westerner can actually move to permanently and spend the rest of their lives in?

Bear in mind that there's always a price to pay (compromise), not to mention that the needs of someone who is retired are different to someone younger.

That's not how we do things in Russia, comrade.

http://inspiredentrepreneur.weebly.com/

Thailand and Philippines would have to be the two most popular and logistically simple.

Cheap, warm, decent infrastructure, health care and of course easy women.

Quote: (03-20-2019 03:39 PM)RatInTheWoods Wrote:  

Thailand and Philippines would have to be the two most popular and logistically simple.

It depends a lot on where your income is coming from. Do you need to make money in the local economy? Or do you have income from online or back home?

Anyway, Mexico is set up very well for Americans.

A lot of it depends on your work, skillset, wealth, language skills, cultural preferences, single?,etc.

I wouldn't want to live in the Philippines unless I had business there. It's mostly a shithole, even Makati.

Mexico, Playa del Carmen area is doable, the Tijuana to Ensenada area is garbage. Wouldn't do Mexico City either.

Thailand I could definitely do. They take care of their visitors well.

In the Western Hemisphere, if you speak decent Spanish and work remotely Colombia is good.

Poland or Estonia in Europe (but haven't been to either)

In the East, if you have money, Singapore and Hong Kong are very comfortable.

Depends on the person.

I know some people who cant handle how unorganized and illogical things are. I think if you're highly strung or a perfectionist you would fail in places like this.

Quote: (03-21-2019 07:15 AM)flyinghorse Wrote:  

Depends on the person.

I know some people who cant handle how unorganized and illogical things are. I think if you're highly strung or a perfectionist you would fail in places like this.

I wouldn't put Thailand in the same basket as the Phils. It's a lot more organized than Phils, which is among the worst in the world in that category.

If you want organized, dependable and logical, in general it's best to avoid low IQ countries and/or much of Latin America. (The pussy in Colombia may make up for it)

Very much depends on the person, we all have are values and priorities in life.

I'm currently in Thailand, although I generally like the country and have been here umpteen times since 2003,I have never wanted to live here.

My reasons being :

I'm not into Asian girls
It's very dirty and beat up
It's a military dictatorship
Corruption - The Police are to be completely avoided
It's getting much more expensive
Too many tourists.

I'm a European and consider Europe the centre of civilisation.

Quote: (03-21-2019 11:29 AM)BangBoy123 Wrote:  

Very much depends on the person, we all have are values and priorities in life.

I'm currently in Thailand, although I generally like the country and have been here umpteen times since 2003,I have never wanted to live here.

My reasons being :

I'm not into Asian girls
It's very dirty and beat up
It's a military dictatorship
Corruption - The Police are to be completely avoided
It's getting much more expensive
Too many tourists.

I agree, although I'm ok with Asian girls. Not my 1st choice but they're fine if they are slim and cute. Thailand should receive almost 40 million tourists this year. It is a lot but not nearly as much as many European countries such as Spain or France for example. I read that Amsterdam alone gets almost 20 million annual visitors. Even in Bangkok it's easy and fast to go to places where hardly any foreigner will venture. Not that these places have anything special to offer usually, though. Islands and beaches might be relatively more crowded.

I have spent a few months at a time on many occasions during winters in Thailand. During my honeymoon period a few years ago I thought about staying longer term but also not interested in it anymore. The excitement I once felt has worn off and I never had a genuine deep interest in the Thai language and culture to begin with and can't relate to Thai people except on a very superficial level. The culture as a whole is quite shallow anyway. Even the expats in Thailand tend to be generally low-class reflecting the country's status.

Then there is the institutionalized discrimination of foreigners and a very evident outsider's role, much more so than in the West. I think it could fuck up one's mind in the long run and cause some serious identity crisis. Unlike someone suggested it can be quite a hassle to live long term in Thailand unless you're married or over 50, but even marriage and retirement visas have some dubious terms.

Is Mexico cheaper than Colombia?

How about long stay visas

Quote: (03-24-2019 02:53 PM)Bananaman711 Wrote:  

Is Mexico cheaper than Colombia?

How about long stay visas

Definitely not cheaper in anyway that I can think of except flights to the country- it's more livable though; better infrastructure, more developed tourism scene, richer history, better food, easier to get to, etc.

Where in Mexico have you been/do you recommend Scotland? Always had a dream to go there

"If you're gonna raise a ruckus, one word of advice: if you're gonna do wrong, buddy, do wrong right."

Quote: (03-24-2019 04:05 PM)Buddydowrongright2 Wrote:  

Where in Mexico have you been/do you recommend Scotland? Always had a dream to go there

I don't know Mexico very well having only spent six weeks there in total, mostly in the resort areas of Puerto Vallarta and Cancun (I stayed off resort) but can say that both of those areas are nice places to stay during the winter. The city of Cancun is a dump but nearby Playa Del Carmen and Tulum are very nice and the city of Merida (three hours from Cancun) is very pleasant, an easy place to stay. I only spent three or four days in Puerto Vallarta, it was very gringo-centric but the fishing was good and there's plenty to see and do but tons of tourists. Guadalajera is a few hours drive away and that city was pretty nice although the city itself was a bit flat and boring, the girls are hot and it has decent nightlife.

I really only scratched the surface, there's so much more to Mexico, especially the capital, I will definitely return in the future, it's an easy place to visit.

My own personal answer has been Estonia. Im into European women and have a thing for blondes and blue eyes.

Good and safe infratructure and health care. Low cost of living for european standards. It also happens to be a tax haven that allows residents and virtual e residents to open business and bank account remotely. 0% corp tax on retained earnings.

Only big problem ive had here is the winter. You gotta go somewhere tropical in winter but The baltic summers are incredible.

Malta is on my radar.

Ive spent quite a bit of time in the Yucatan Peninsula. I really liked Isla Mujeres near cancun. Amazing offshore big game fishing and diving. The area north of isla mujeres where the gulf stream mixes into the gulf is phenomenal! Bang opportunity is only for banging tourists, most of the Mexican women are 4 foot tall and wide. Lots of beautiful girls from all over the world visit cancun!

Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria.

Malaysia allows you to stay legally and indefinitely in the country through their ‘Malaysia my second home’ visa. (http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.html/en/)

Malaysia is well developed, safe and has a relatively low cost of living. Also, most people would probably prefer its tropical climate over the one of London or New York.

But, as with everything in life, there’s a catch. This visa will NOT allow you to seek paid employment in Malaysia, so you must be able to make your income abroad (investments, digital nomad etc.).

That being said, if you can make your income abroad, Malaysia will not tax you on it as it has a territorial tax system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_taxation).

I think this makes it a very attractive option.

A westerner with a lot of money can probably go wherever he wants.
And also there are westerners and westerners. A Portuguese guy, an Icelandic guy and a Luxembourgish guy and a Monegasque guy, all four of them are westerners, but come from different places and have had different realities.
I can easily see that for a Monegasque guy, Portugal, Iceland and Luxembourg are actually a downgrade, while for the Portuguese guy all three countries might provide some upgrade. So, about which westerner are we talking about?

if i had a lot money i would choose Japan.. Okinawa island specifically. its beautiful,clean and has a nice climate.

Quote: (03-24-2019 10:40 PM)Iconoclast007 Wrote:  

Ive spent quite a bit of time in the Yucatan Peninsula. I really liked Isla Mujeres near cancun. Amazing offshore big game fishing and diving. The area north of isla mujeres where the gulf stream mixes into the gulf is phenomenal! Bang opportunity is only for banging tourists, most of the Mexican women are 4 foot tall and wide. Lots of beautiful girls from all over the world visit cancun!

I spent two days there and wasn't overly impressed but thb I didn't do much other than walk around a bit in the day and drink at night, I found the town to bit a bit run down, not nearly as modern and developed as Playa Del Carmen and not as cool or trendy as Tulum. Most of the foreign chicas I met were Argentine and they're notoriously difficult, so I left. I'm sure I would've enjoyed it more if I had gone fishing though.

One thing about Mexico and especially places like Cancun is that the prices for interesting activities are quite expensive during high season. I went scuba diving in a couple of cenotes near Tulum in September a few years ago and went back to the same dive shop last December and the prices were crazy, something like $250 USD for two dives which I wasn't prepared to spend, especially since I did it before. I paid $250 for a half day of fishing off of Puerta Vallarta, it was worth it though, the boat and gear were all top-of-the-line and we hauled in few nice tunas and doradas (mahi-mahi) which are great to eat.

Poland, Hungary, Czech, Slovakia(?), Slovenia(?)

That axis is pretty much what western europe could be and should have been. Eastern Europe seems to me, to never quite reach the heights of western europe, particularly culturally and artistically, but it has a high baseline for a good life. I'll live without some of the perks of western individualism. I also see more 9s in a day here, than in a month in western europe. Every girl is slim and feminine, if not outright a stunner.

As mentioned, I see some differences, which I bet would be annoying long term, but over all, it's not difficult to adapt and overall I feel like the locals are fine with me as a (specific type/nationality) of foreigner here. I've found helpful, polite and friendly people, despite having quite a lot of tourists. Language could be an issue certainly.

My focus for the "rest of your life" would have to combine low to no taxes on retained Corp Earnings and world-class Health Care (Estonia) but better weather and flow of hot tourist females so it is a tight Venn Diagram - Canada comes to mind but have to marry a local to stay there and then do biz out of an IBC International Business Corporation Country (Former British Colonies) Bermuda, Bahamas, Belize in this Hemisphere) to shield from Global Personal USA Taxes and In-country Canadian Taxes - then you only pay taxes on Income or Dividends you pay to yourself while the IBC capital profits remain offshore in IBC accounts. Basically exactly what Apple, Microsoft, HP, and Oracle do but on a smaller private scale.

Spain, France, and Italy come to mind especially France's world-class low to no cost health care and again British former Colony IBCs for business in Jersey, Isle of Man, Gibraltar and possibly Malta.

If you are a Veteran the VA in Metro Boston partners with various Harvard Med School teaching hospitals and the VA care here is world class and co-pays cap at $700 or so per year so not quite free but not $$$ Obamascare.

Quote: (03-25-2019 03:59 AM)Rendok Wrote:  

Malaysia allows you to stay legally and indefinitely in the country through their ‘Malaysia my second home’ visa. (http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.html/en/)

Malaysia is well developed, safe and has a relatively low cost of living. Also, most people would probably prefer its tropical climate over the one of London or New York.

But, as with everything in life, there’s a catch. This visa will NOT allow you to seek paid employment in Malaysia, so you must be able to make your income abroad (investments, digital nomad etc.).

That being said, if you can make your income abroad, Malaysia will not tax you on it as it has a territorial tax system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_taxation).

You are leaving out the most important thing, which is that many women in Malaysia are fucking smokeshows.

"If you're gonna raise a ruckus, one word of advice: if you're gonna do wrong, buddy, do wrong right."

Quote: (03-27-2019 03:29 PM)Buddydowrongright2 Wrote:  

Quote: (03-25-2019 03:59 AM)Rendok Wrote:  

You are leaving out the most important thing, which is that many women in Malaysia are fucking smokeshows.

Hahaha - I thought there was no need to state the obvious :-)

I have a kind spot in my heart for Malaysia too. Only country in Asia where I didn’t feel out of place being a white dude, kind folks. Multicultural. Got attention there too from both Malay and Chinese

Quote: (03-25-2019 03:37 PM)Deepdiver Wrote:  

My focus for the "rest of your life" would have to combine low to no taxes on retained Corp Earnings and world-class Health Care (Estonia) but better weather and flow of hot tourist females so it is a tight Venn Diagram - Canada comes to mind but have to marry a local to stay there and then do biz out of an IBC International Business Corporation Country (Former British Colonies) Bermuda, Bahamas, Belize in this Hemisphere) to shield from Global Personal USA Taxes and In-country Canadian Taxes - then you only pay taxes on Income or Dividends you pay to yourself while the IBC capital profits remain offshore in IBC accounts. Basically exactly what Apple, Microsoft, HP, and Oracle do but on a smaller private scale.

Spain, France, and Italy come to mind especially France's world-class low to no cost health care and again British former Colony IBCs for business in Jersey, Isle of Man, Gibraltar and possibly Malta.

If you are a Veteran the VA in Metro Boston partners with various Harvard Med School teaching hospitals and the VA care here is world class and co-pays cap at $700 or so per year so not quite free but not $$$ Obamascare.

I have researched Jersey after a visit there. It has very strict rules for non-locals in terms of property, in effect making it very difficult for even a British citizen to live there. Gibraltar and IOM are good but the IOM would not be somewhere I think most would want to live. I like Gibraltar but too near to Africa for my liking.