rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Keeping memories alive

Keeping memories alive

Hey guys,

My maternal grandfather recently passed away last month. He was a very strong role model for me in life; a man who I always looked up to, and loved beyond measure.

I know there is no bringing him back, but what I would really like to do more than anything right now is to figure out a good way to keep his memory alive and far from fading for myself and my family.

I have a few of his last possesions with me like his watches, some clothes/shoes, and his very last turban. After hours of thinking I have only been able to come up with the idea of framing or bronzing some of his possesions and having them displayed in our home.

What I ask of you, my fellow RVF brothers is to share your ideas, or your own personal ways in which you have been able to immortalize your lost loved ones' memories.

Thanks, and may God bring peace to all our departed Loved ones.

Keeping memories alive

Quote: (03-08-2019 02:40 PM)Vet-Boy Wrote:  

Hey guys,

My maternal grandfather recently passed away last month. He was a very strong role model for me in life; a man who I always looked up to, and loved beyond measure.

I know there is no bringing him back, but what I would really like to do more than anything right now is to figure out a good way to keep his memory alive and far from fading for myself and my family.

I have a few of his last possesions with me like his watches, some clothes/shoes, and his very last turban. After hours of thinking I have only been able to come up with the idea of framing or bronzing some of his possesions and having them displayed in our home.

What I ask of you, my fellow RVF brothers is to share your ideas, or your own personal ways in which you have been able to immortalize your lost loved ones' memories.

Thanks, and may God bring peace to all our departed Loved ones.

His last turban? For real?
I still use my grandfather's favorite auto rag. I know it's weird but he gave it to me when he gave me his old beater car when I was 16. Without realizing it, I carried that damn rag from car to car for 25 years, even through his death 14 years ago. Now I use the rag on my bar at home. And telling the story to people seems to keep me in touch with him.
tl;dr Using his things, not bronzing them, carries the most value. IME

Keeping memories alive

You could plant a tree.

I would plant a whip, weed around then stake and guard it to make sure that it has the best chance of growing to a mature specimen that would last for decades; centuries, even. If your grandfather had a garden or land on which trees grew, maybe you could take some seed and grow it in a pot to begin with. Even better if he had a favourite tree or species.

Future generations could come and admire your tree and it would be a good talking point. They grow quicker than you would think as well; I was involved in a number of planting schemes twenty years ago, some of which I go back to now and again. Some of these trees are now over 30 feet tall and will keep on growing for a long time.

I used to work in a park and once spent an enjoyable half-hour helping a family plant an oak they had grown from an acorn they picked off the ground, in the grounds of the hospice their grandfather spent his final days in.

Men are not creepy. Do you know what’s creepy? Spiders, because we don’t know how they move.

Keeping memories alive

I've been in the same situation as you, also with a grandfather.

The problem is, I've found, that things are just things. Even things which held great sentimental value, will eventually not do so anymore. The only thing that lasts is the stories we tell and share with others. Pictures are good. Writings. If you have the talent for it, make something of your own, write his story, paint your memories, compose a song. Pass them on to kids or other family.

The best is living so your grandfather would be proud of you.

Keeping memories alive

Here´s another guy who had grandfather instead of father.

It has been 2 and half year since he died. On the shelf I have a photo of me at graduation in new officer uniform with him, few months before he passed away. Before the photo I have a knife he used to wear in his pocket everyday. Also I have revolver I got from him, that´s something I will never put away. These two things are important to me, he was a man and this were his weapons to protect what was his.

I also bought a car that he owned. I have been driving it for 2 years and I still haven´t put away things he had in the box and trunk, including wafer. I think I never will.

"Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."