rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is using an essay writing service ethical?

Imagine you are a student and struggling with you assignment. You will fail if you miss the deadline and there is no way you can make it. You will pay someone to write your essay or dissertation. Is this ethical?

Schools use a very extensive version of Turnitin. Thats why most papers are submitted though blackboard or moodle. So make sure someone is actually writing your papers that you know because once you get busted for plagiarism, your college life is pretty much over.

I have no comment on the ethics question. My movie from piratebay is almost finished downloading, I'm trying to figure out how to claim my one bedroom urban apartment as a farm, I claim to be ten years younger on dating apps, use a fake college ID for discounts, and abuse Costco's return policy when my printer ink runs out. Who am I to give ethics advice.

I don't see it as unethical. You pay money for a license to claim you did the work. Are ghost writers unethical?

Turnitin is hilariously easy to trick and I made it a game to hack.

However , term papers are easy to do. Why waste money when you can go to Wikipedia, steal the citations and outline, which is 50% of the work , and rewrite it in your own words.

Save your money for booze and weed. Spend 2 evening banging out an 8 page paper.

Bloody hell. Nobody reads the Bible anymore.

It goes into this matter explicitly.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

Quote: (02-27-2019 10:05 AM)IronShark Wrote:  

Imagine you are a student and struggling with you assignment. You will fail if you miss the deadline and there is no way you can make it. You will pay someone to write your essay or dissertation. Is this ethical?

Ironshark, I used a UK essay writing service once. No, it's not ethical, but who cares? If you can afford it and it makes life easier for you, then by all means go for it.

Put it this way - if you ran a business and had too much to do in too little time, then you would delegate various tasks so you could work on those that are the most important. Why should it be any different in the context of an essay?

I would recommend though that you give yourself enough time to receive the essay and edit it so that it matches your writing style. UK uni's are usually quite good at picking up changes in people's writing style, so you can easily be caught out.

Look at the whole picture and be practical about it.

For most degrees, it makes no sense anyway to study 3 or 5 years to get that degree when most shit you learn there is not going to be of much use anyway once you get a job when you often could have just learned the same shit in 2 years by combining theory and practice.

Spending several hours on writing an essay is usually just a way to keep students busy. Half of the university system would collapse and lots of people would lose their jobs if Uni was actually structured in an efficient way, which it is not today.

It's one thing if you graduate and get the degree when you don't have the competence that you should have because you've cheated on exams, relied on other students for every group projects and have never understood much of the essays you've handed in since you've let someone else do it for you.

If you, on the other hand, have learned all of the stuff you're supposed to know when you graduate and just happened to let someone else write a time-consuming essay for you once in a while so you can get the degree sooner, I don't think it's a big deal at all. Maybe the fact you did that actually helped you to sooner get out into the work force and become productive for the society and feed a family? Then it would have been stupid to fail a course and wait another year to take that course, just cause you wanted to write your own essay.

Essays are often just time-consuming and if you understand the material and concepts that someone else has written in it, don't be too hard on yourself for it.
But make sure you spend your time teaching yourself something else or do something productive while that other person writes it haha.

I had already finished my degree when I realized shit like Fiverr existed and I became gutted, I would have been able to finish my degree so much faster had I discovered that earlier and outsourced pretty meaningless, just time-consuming tasks. I had extreme pride in shit like this and would even. rarely ask for help from the professor. One part of it was low confidence and not wanting to look like a fool if you ask something stupid but I think it was mostly because I saw it as "the easy way out to solve a problem".

And then close to graduation I had a red pill when several guys in my class started talking about the exams they had cheated on in previous years, such as moving their answers on a paper on a multiple choice test to one side of their desk so their buddy could copy the answers etc.

Quote: (02-27-2019 12:01 PM)RedKurrant Wrote:  

Ironshark, I used a UK essay writing service once. No, it's not ethical, but who cares? If you can afford it and it makes life easier for you, then by all means go for it.

Put it this way - if you ran a business and had too much to do in too little time, then you would delegate various tasks so you could work on those that are the most important. Why should it be any different in the context of an essay?

I would recommend though that you give yourself enough time to receive the essay and edit it so that it matches your writing style. UK uni's are usually quite good at picking up changes in people's writing style, so you can easily be caught out.

That's true. Very good points.

I read [spam] today that actually says the same thing. This article clarifies both side of the arguments of paying for college papers. It's more an ethical question as opposed to being lawful. Clearly, you can use such a service and never talk about it.

Many people for example use prostitution at sexual urge to "avoid become an incel" these days. To put it plainly, the appropriate response is yes and no, both together. It truly relies upon numerous elements that article tries to talk about.

A friend of mine used a company called [spam] last year for his PhD proposal because the university kept rejecting his proposals. He finally got an admission.

To side with Leonard, seems like you should write it yourself.

But as I get older, I see how the world works and it changes my perspective on things like this.

Most of college is a scam. Much of my degree was a scam. Is it unethical to scam a scam?

Which brings George Shaw to mind, "Never wrestle with pigs. You both get filthy and the pig likes it."

So combining my logic and Shaw's quote, don't go to non-STEM college.

But many STEM undergrad degrees come from liberal arts colleges that require you to wrestle pigs. And many careers and jobs require you to interact with scammers working for scammers.

Pigs and pigsties everywhere, so just don't wrestle? I'd say choose which pigs to wrestle.

Or, as my psychologist used to say, "choose what set of problems you want to live with"

Don't scam everything, but understand scams and scammers are everywhere. Don't get scammed.

Hope that answers your question.

[Image: wink.gif]

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Part of the reason college degrees are worth their weight in toilet paper these days is that people cheat their way through so employers can't rely on the degree as an indicator of competence. I've had group projects with Chinese and Pajeet exchange students, and I find it highly disturbing that my degree is the same as that of people who can't communicate in English, write coherently in English, code, or understand theories of computation... but they are good at colluding with their co-nationals on assignments and tests.

As someone who worked for decades as a newspaper writer and got a book published, my answer is that it's not only ethical for men to use essay writing services, it's crucial.

Why?

Because college is not about learning or the pursuit of a greater truth. It's about mindless rule-following, conformity, and spewing Current Year ideas.

Most men are incapable of robot-like conformity. Some individuality and free-thinking always slips through. You can't have that in college. In my day, they gave me poor grades for that. Today, if you bring up "incorrect" ideas, the punishment is likely to be worse.

This is where I went wrong in college. I thought all my reading and eclectic ideas would put my in good standing. They didn't, at least not with most professors.

Getting A's on college essays is a bit like seducing a woman. You don't tell the truth. You tell them what they want to hear.

So, go forth young man and hire that essay service. Since you're on this forum, your thoughts are already too out-there for college. Just make sure the "professional essay writers" aren't fellow troublemakers like me.

College is essentially bullshit management and regurgitation.

Do whatever you need to do to get out with the best grades for the least amount of work.

I actually just had a conversation with a friend over whether or not he should use a consultant to draft his MBA School applicaitons. Not too different from what you asking, having someone draft his essays and what not. All I'll say is, that as ridiculous as school and assignments may be these days, there's a lot to be said for "going through the grind". The painful and crappy experience of doing all nighters for papers is part of the college experience. I get it, why be masochistic, but it's how it always was, even before college became all liberal or whatever. Do you think that you'll magically be able to muster up the discipline to put together a serious work presentation yourself when you're used to hiring people to do such challenges for you? Sounds a bit weak honestly.

You will pay someone to write your essay or dissertation. Is this ethical?

It is the definition of unethical. But that means fuck all.

Make sure you don't get caught.

Quote: (02-27-2019 06:25 PM)BortimusPrime Wrote:  

Part of the reason college degrees are worth their weight in toilet paper these days is that people cheat their way through so employers can't rely on the degree as an indicator of competence. I've had group projects with Chinese and Pajeet exchange students, and I find it highly disturbing that my degree is the same as that of people who can't communicate in English, write coherently in English, code, or understand theories of computation... but they are good at colluding with their co-nationals on assignments and tests.

This +1. I'll join with the college bashing in this thread:

When I was in undergrad I had at least one class where the foreign scum would collude with each other. They would sit next to each other during tests and whisper. Like BP said degrees have been useless for a while and this is one of the reasons why.

Only thing I will say about whether essay writing is ethical is don't go to college. I remember years ago one of my bosses proclaimed you don't have to be a genius to go to college anymore. Let the system burn.

Quote: (09-21-2018 09:31 AM)kosko Wrote:  
For the folks who stay ignorant and hating and not improving their situation during these Trump years, it will be bleak and cold once the good times stop.

If you're in some 3rd world country at university, have at it, I don't care.

If you're in the USA or the commonwealth, fuck you.

I have sudden pangs of guilt for not turning in the swarms of brown students back in my day for blatant cheating and thievery (actual thievery - of homework from other students or answers from TAs).

Strictly speaking, no. You can use a Ciceronian analysis if you want and come to the conclusion that it undermines trust in society, or you can come to the same conclusion under other modes of thought.

However, DOBA hits the nail on the head.

Quote: (02-27-2019 06:50 PM)Days of Broken Arrows Wrote:  

Because college is not about learning or the pursuit of a greater truth. It's about mindless rule-following, conformity, and spewing Current Year ideas.

College isn't about education anymore, it's a credentialism circle jerk and rightthink factory. Many if not most of the time, it's a pure scam. You need to have a clear plan if you're going. It shouldn't just be out of habit or some rite of passage.

They're a lot more unethical than any essay writing service, so you can argue the contract is already broken anyway and you have no reason to comply.

I'm glad I can help the students and make their lives a little bit easier.

Read my Latest at Return of Kings: 11 Lessons in Leadership from Julius Caesar
My Blog | Twitter

Quote: (03-07-2019 01:00 PM)christpuncher Wrote:  

If you're in some 3rd world country at university, have at it, I don't care.

If you're in the USA or the commonwealth, fuck you.

I have sudden pangs of guilt for not turning in the swarms of brown students back in my day for blatant cheating and thievery (actual thievery - of homework from other students or answers from TAs).

When I was an undergrad I overheard foreign scum collude with each other on tests. I wouldn't go as far as to say I have pangs of guilt but in this climate and even back then I would dare say it's anti-American to not report these shenanigans.

Anybody that's in college right now and witness activities like that should get this filth out. Report them to the prof and the dean. Fuck em, they're probably overstaying a visa on top of taking jobs away from honest hard working Americans.

For the folks who stay ignorant and hating and not improving their situation during these Trump years, it will be bleak and cold once the good times stop.

Quote: (02-27-2019 11:08 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

Bloody hell. Nobody reads the Bible anymore.

It goes into this matter explicitly.

[Image: Bible.jpg]

Quote: (02-27-2019 06:50 PM)Days of Broken Arrows Wrote:  

College as a whole is about conformity, but there's a lot of kindred spirits too on college campuses: you just have to seek them out.

Furthermore, one can educate oneself and grow even in conformist situations, even if it's just by actualizing your own nonconformity.

OP also asked about using an essay writer for a dissertation. First of all, I think if you have to take a stance you vehemently disagree with for a Ms or PhD program, you're probably in the wrong program. Secondly, if you're doing a dissertation for a STEM field and hire a ghostwriter, you're doing something very unethical and cheating yourself, your future employer and you're own knowledge.

For that reason, I believe that using a ghostwriter for college essays is much more harmful to yourself than society at large. The point both of life and of education is to grow and using a ghostwriter eliminates your personal growth; you're only cheating yourself but outsourcing your critical thinking and essay writing.

Never did it myself in college, I don't think it's unethical at all. But, as others have said, don't get busted. Especially if you've already pissed away a few Gs for your education.

In hindsight though, as someone who now runs a business with a few employees, it actually might have been a first (small) step towards learning about how to outsource properly, how to vet their work, etc.

I pay a lesbian couple to write all my posts to this forum. It saves time. Don't forget to Rep them.

I knew a few people who made it a hustle to write papers for others in university. I knew one girl who would "be you" for the semester. She would do EVERY single assignment for you so it looked consistent and normal. She used to have brand-new clothes and laptops every semester.

I always respected that she knew her strengths. She wasn't particularly good looking or anything but she knew what rich bitches like. They liked partying all the time and not worrying about shit, so she would worry about shit for them.

I really do wonder what happened to that girl. I bet she's doing the same thing at a higher level and being paid handsomely.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

It's neither ethical nor unethical in my opinion. If your class is actually useful or you get something out of it, then it's best you write the paper yourself. But if all you want is a passing grade and no hassle, I'll not judge ya.

G

Quote: (03-11-2019 09:38 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

I knew a few people who made it a hustle to write papers for others in university. I knew one girl who would "be you" for the semester. She would do EVERY single assignment for you so it looked consistent and normal. She used to have brand-new clothes and laptops every semester.

I always respected that she knew her strengths. She wasn't particularly good looking or anything but she knew what rich bitches like. They liked partying all the time and not worrying about shit, so she would worry about shit for them.

I really do wonder what happened to that girl. I bet she's doing the same thing at a higher level and being paid handsomely.

+1

FYI I never plagiarized when I was in uni but I can respect that hustle. This "grift" doesn't work in smaller universities but it presumably works in big ones. Like I posted before higher education is an utter joke, alternative careers like coding can be pulled off.

That girl is probably not using her degree and taking professional level exams like the JD for serious coin. Bless her.