rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do you overcome academic stress at university or college?

There are just too many tough deadlines and the workload is just unmanageable. How do you overcome stress at college?

No offence but if you find Uni difficult, you'll be in for a world of pain when you enter the workplace. Uni/college is life on easy mode.

I tend to prioritize, make a schedule and stick to it. I did it for undergrad and I'm doing the same for grad school. Also, take some time out for yourself if it means going for a walk, going out to eat or talking to someone. It keeps you from burning out.

I made an effort to get off the campus every time possible whether it was for coffee, food, socializing with non-uni people etc. I would stick to a schedule and I would schedule in free time because I was studying a lot, and you need free time whether it is gym, tv, etc.

Most of the stress is the result of procrastination or partying hard and lagging behind. If u can contain your base instincts and just go out only two nights a week you will be ahead of everyone. In hindsight college is easy and you're paying to fuck around... in both ways.

Be as proactive as possible. Lift weights and run in the morning to relieve stress.

Growth Over Everything Else.

Quote: (02-19-2019 05:00 PM)RedKurrant Wrote:  

No offence but if you find Uni difficult, you'll be in for a world of pain when you enter the workplace. Uni/college is life on easy mode.

If you study business or some other low difficulty degree yes

Now for STEM, Medicine and possibly Law I totally disagree. These degrees are harder than most jobs, at least the ones I worked at. The only job I though was harder than my engineering Uni was basically a sweatshop

To be fair OP, I think your problem is something only you can find the solution for.
It's a matter of motivation, discipline, talent(if you're a dumbass your chances are slim) and getting help from the right people

What’s your major??

Here are a few thoughts, I had crazy stress during college so much so that I hated college with a passion mankind had not seen before... yet I graduated at the top of my class.

-Perfectionism is the root to a lot of stress and others stress. They want a perfect opening sentence on an essay, a perfect score on a test. Don’t do that!
-Most people don’t manage thier time well, but if you have a tough stem major, it doesn’t matter it’s going to be really tough.
- if I could do it again I would take an extra year...

Quote: (02-19-2019 06:12 PM)Thrill Jackson Wrote:  

Be as proactive as possible. Lift weights and run in the morning to relieve stress.

Thanks for your advice. I see many young people don't get what they used to get from university.
- Having a degree by more and more people going to colleges really doesn't give you an edge in the job market.
- Many universities and colleges keep failing students as it's just a good business for them to make students to retake courses. That's why there's a trend among students to get external help and use essay writing services.
- Ultra competitive job market after graduation is another issue that gives students a lot of stress.
- And more importantly an ever increasing shift to the left in college campuses (strong presence of cultural Marxism) would definitely make college like difficult for men like us.

I know it's good to be proactive and lift weight. But in reality, there are loads of issues. I personally think for my kids, I rather have them to not go to university and instead learn a trade or start a business.

^ University is vital, but just keep it simple and go to a accredited state school unless you are going for a career that is really competitive.

What are your career plans?

Growth Over Everything Else.

What saved me was doing 20 min (22 min to be precise) of meditation every day. Not only did my focus become better but I got better at dealing with stress.

Problem is though that everyone tends to mention meditation in threads and discussions about stress, but how many people actually sits down and quietly stares into the wall 20 min every day? Almost none, but if you can do it for just a week, I have no doubt will you see a change.
And if you can make it a habit it can change your life.

Quote: (02-19-2019 05:00 PM)RedKurrant Wrote:  

Depends on what you study and what job you get.

If you can, do a page a day for whatever assignment you have over however many days you have it. If it's 8 pages, do 1 page a day for 8 days. You'll get it done and your overall workload will be minimal so it won't feel as overwhelming. If you go over that in the heat of the moment, it reduces your workload more. This system worked for me.

Essay writing services can help a lot if you have the money to spare. Of course I say that partially because I work with one and might be the guy you're looking for.

Read my Latest at Return of Kings: 11 Lessons in Leadership from Julius Caesar
My Blog | Twitter

^^^
I did well with pacing myself too in college. Better to do a little every day rather than to fuck around until the night before.

Also certain classes will be more demanding than others. For the demanding classes, if possible, try to actually complete work ahead of schedule (read text, do assignments, etc.). You should have all the assigned readings, etc. on the syllabus. For some of my heavy quantitative classes, I tried to stay one week ahead of the syllabus.

Again, better to be doing some work all the time rather than in fits and spurts.

You probably underestimate just how much your body can take and how well it can adapt. You're saying that the workload is unmanageable, can you clarify that? Are you working 16 hours a day and not able to get everything done, or are you only doing 8 hours and reserving the rest for partying?

You need to work like crazy and prioritise. That might mean making sacrifices like missing out on that party Thursday night or waking up at the crack of dawn to go to the library. You have to ask yourself how badly do you actually want this, you'll find out that if you truly want to succeed you'll be able to crank out 16 hour days which is a luxury that you get when you're young.

Also real life is probably going to be harder, so you might as well prepare for that now.