rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Merida, Mexico Datasheet 2018 by Waqqle

Background

I flew into Cancun from Cali, Colombia on Nov 15 and took a bus from there to Mérida a day later after sleeping in the hotel room of a girl I met on the shuttle from the airport who invited me in to sleep with her but then did not want sex because I “was not her boyfriend.” Weird but sometimes you come across weird girls. Can’t win ‘em all.

I had been living in Cali, Colombia learning salsa and Spanish for 3 months prior to going to Mérida so I was conversational in Spanish on a very basic level but well enough to get around and I was not totally inept when it came to dancing, which is a very useful skill in Latin America that I recommend any guy thinking about spending a significant amount of time in the region look into learning.

Me

Height: 5ft 8in
Nationality: American
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Spanish Ability: Very basic
Location: A shared house about 15 minutes by taxi from the city center
Bankroll: Approximately $1500 a month
Occupation: I was just on vacation and not working at this time
Game style: Both daygame and nightgame
Pipelining: None
Online game: Only Tinder
Game Level: Intermediate but depends on who I am being compared to

Notes: I noticed that I had a certain exotic appeal to local girls and I got lots of matches and messages on Tinder. Normally, I don’t waste time with Tinder but Mérida, being a college town, is one of the few places I would actually recommend using it in addition to the in-person game that I would always recommend anywhere other than maybe Iran or some other place where you can get in trouble for being near women in public. Non-white guys should be fine here. I saw some black guys with local girls and the locals themselves are all over the place ethnically with most being Amerindian (mostly Mayan), white, or a mix of the two. Whatever your ethnic background, you should be fine here if you have at least a basic level of game.

Mérida

This is probably the safest city I have ever lived in outside of Korea. There are not even pickpockets. It’s almost weird how safe this place is. I was told by a taxi driver that one reason for this (aside from the locals just being generally nice people) is that the police in Yucatan (the province where Mérida is located) are required to be from Yucatan whereas the police in other regions of Mexico can be from any part of the country. Mérida, while probably being around the size of New Orleans, is also a city where people tend to know each other and gossip a lot so any criminal would quickly be known to all. I saw gates open, windows without bars, women walking around alone at all hours of the night, and even front doors left open at times. From what I’ve already said, this should not be shocking but I did not find any ghettos or rough areas in Mérida.

As for quality of life, Mérida has pretty much everything that a city of similar size in the US has except for drinkable tap water. You should drink bottled water. Other than that, though not highly international, Mérida’s proximity to the US and the reality of NAFTA mean that you will be able to find most if not all of the products and major company brands that you would find in the US. This includes Wal Mart, which is were I shopped for groceries, soap, and things of that sort as well as UPS. Uber is also very useful in Mérida and I highly recommend getting it if you don’t already have it as it can be cheaper and more convenient than taking taxis.

Mérida is a college town with several local university campuses in and around town so you can find people, especially young people, who speak English well enough to carry a conversation but some knowledge of Spanish will only help you since Mérida is a 2nd or 3rd tier city.

There are a number of decent and affordable Airbnb options available and there are a number of hotels throughout the city but I recommend the ones in the historic downtown just because it is such a cool area.

Local Guys

Very friendly and civilized in my experience. They do not seem to be very protective of the local women which meant that I did not face any blocking or drunk bruisers looking to throw hands with me for stealing their women and polluting their pure gene pool. Generally, the young guys, who will be your main competition, are university students and have a decent sense of style on average. I recommend befriending a few of them as I did so that you can have 2 or 3 of them to go out with to give the appearance that you have local status and have been/will be staying for a while. If you look out for them, they’ll look out for you so, when you engage a girl you like in a club or other social setting while you are with them, set them up with her friends or some other girls that you pull into your group and they will be a solid team for the rest of your operation.

Local Girls

Mérida, being a college town, has a significant population of college-aged women, many of whom are not bad to look at. As I mentioned previously, the locals are mostly Amerindian, white, and/or mestizo (mixed between white and Amerindian). How they rate is really a matter of opinion as some guys prefer the whiter girls and others prefer the more Amerindian ones. I personally tend to prefer the latter and, in my estimate, I’d say that there are enough 7s walking around to keep a guy occupied for some time. This is not the most mind-blowing city I’ve been to in terms of how girls look but it’s not bad by any means and the girls are very approachable, friendly, and open to getting with visitors.

As for personality, I found the local girls to be pretty tame and relaxed as opposed to having the fiery tempers and volatile dispositions that Latinas are stereotypically known for. I never encountered any girls who were rude or unnecessarily abrasive and everyone, women and men included, seemed to be very laid back and welcoming as long as I was polite and gave off good vibes.

It may not show immediate on the surface but the girls here are promiscuous. Mérida is a college town after all and most of the young people studying in the city are either living away from their parents or they do not have curfews. To make things better, since Mexico is a pretty diverse country and, like most of Latin America, race-mixing has historically been very common, a guy visiting will not get stares or bad reactions from locals if he is goin around with a local girl and, in all likelihood, he may not even be noticed.

Female Nonsense and a Personal Example

Sometimes flaking happens, sometimes girls show up late, and sometimes girls are just either stupid or they are playing games and are fully aware of what they are doing.

I personally picked up one girl in a club and spent some time with her there but, when the moment of truth came, she lied to me saying that her mom was calling and she needed to go home that instant. I know she was lying because I saw her smoking weed in a car with another guy (a beta local guy who, I was told by another local guy, had been orbiting her for a long time) less than 50 feet from the club when I walked outside. I still gave this girl another shot the next day and arranged to meet her in at a spot in the historic district but, when I got to the meeting place, she told me she was in another location about 10 minutes away by walking. So I walked to the other location, which was the Catedral de Mérida in the center of historic downtown, and, when I got there, she told me that she was back in the place that I had just left (the original meeting place).

This back-and-forth location game is one that girls often like to play in Latin and Asian countries and this was not the first time I had encountered it. The objective of this game is to either piss you off and induce an emotional meltdown so that they can experience their own dramatic telenovela moment or to see if you are a beta who will just say it’s all ok and keep rescheduling and orbiting her indefinitely. Don’t play this game and don’t give these women any emotion because they are energy vampires who are fully aware of what they are doing and are trying to set you off. I told this girl (in a calm way) that I knew what she was doing and that I wasn’t into playing games. I ended the conversation there and never contacted her again.

Instead, I started walking around the plaza in front of the Catedral de Mérida where she had told me she was before changing the location back to the original place. There, I met another local girl who was sitting on a park bench. I sat on the bench across from hers and made friendly eye contact a couple of times. Then I got up and walked away for a minute or two and, when I came back, someone else had taken my seat on the bench. So, naturally, I sat down next to her on her bench and started talking to her. After some talking, I noticed that she was feeling cold (it was evening in December) and so I said “let’s go” and we went to a bar/restaurant called the Mayan Pub only a few minutes by walking from the Catedral de Mérida where I learned that she was bisexual and wanted to have a threesome with me and another chick she saw at another table. See how well things can go for you when you are willing to ditch a girl who is trying to jerk you around?

I did not go for the threesome because it would have taken a while to pick up the girl that she wanted me to pick up and that girl had 2 male “friends with her (one of whom we suspected was gay) which means I would have had to get her away from them as well as running game on her and I frankly just did not want to bother as this girl was already rubbing my cock through my pants under the table and I have never actually been much into the threesome thing personally (I’ll take it if it’s offered but I won’t go out of my way for it). So I paid for our wine and took her back to my place where she climaxed twice (one time in doggy style which is always fun), and I used all 3 of the condoms I had in my drawer, after which she grabbed the lotion I had on my table (always keep your face moisturized, girls notice that sort of thing) and used her hands to get me off for a second time, edging me all the way until I could not hold it in anymore. We were getting physical at my place for around 2 hours and, after that, I got her an Uber and sent her home. Good stuff.

I personally don’t have an interest in drugs and avoid them whenever I can, not for moral reasons but just because I like to stay lucid. That said, I saw weed in Mérida. People have it, it’s easy to find, and, if it is illegal, nobody seems to care. One of the Mexican guys in my shared house smoked it in front of everyone and even left his stuff on the table in the living room when he went out. No fear whatsoever. So, if you enjoy the occasional spliff, you probably won’t find Mérida to be stifling.

Other Foreigners

Don’t sweat it. There are some foreign students doing exchange programs here (mostly Germans for some reason from what I saw - I lived with 2 of them) but they are not many in number and do not pose a threat. The other foreigners are mostly married and very often retired people who will also pose no threat for obvious reasons.

I did meet 4 German girls in Uxmal and wound up walking around the place with them the whole time I was there. We then took the bus back to Mérida and went to La Negrita, which is a restaurant and salsa dance club, where I proceeded to dance salsa with one of them. Unfortunately did not get to bang her due to logistics and all of them being legitimately exhausted. I guess I’ll just get my German flag in Europe.

FYI: If you are thinking of spending any significant amount of time in Latin America, I strongly suggest learning the basics of salsa. You will not regret it as it is great for escalating with local girls and also for upping your status with any foreign girls you might come across as they almost never know how to dance and, if they are from a Western country, have likely never followed a man’s lead before so you may be able to turn them on in a way they have never felt before.

Nightlife

In terms of nightlife, all of the best places are going to be in the historic downtown. Of the places there, the ones which stand out (and which I went to) are:

La Negrita: This is a restaurant located about 10 minutes by walking from the Catedral de Mérida. The food, to put it bluntly, is not good compared to what you can find elsewhere in the city. However, they also have drinks, live salsa bands (check the schedule), and a small dance floor. Don’t go alone if you can avoid it. If you can, go with some friends and grab a table so you can all rotate on and off of the dance floor.

La Pulquerida: This is a dance club which mostly plays reggaeton and had a decent gender ratio when I was there. There are two main rooms and I recommend that you go through the first one and through the hall to reach the second one which opens up into an outdoor space with a disco ball. This is a great place to go to grind on some local tail if you can’t dance salsa.

Mayan Pub: This place has a really cool look and vibe about it and there are live bands playing sometimes (check the schedule). Like the other two places I just mentioned, it is in the historic downtown area where most of the local university students go to hang out both in the daytime and after the sun goes down. They have actually got a small dance floor in front of the stage that the bands play on but I think the bands are geared more toward relaxed and/or slow dancing music than salsa so this is another option for guys who may not care for salsa. This place seemed to be one where people went to hang out with people they already knew rather than meet new people so it might be best to come here with a girl you have already met as a venue change from somewhere else before the final venue change to your place.

*I recommend looking all of these places up in Google Maps or some other app/site so you can see some photos of them and plan your logistics.

Daygame

There are malls but I never felt the need to check them out because the historic downtown is where it’s at, both in the daytime and nighttime. Of the malls that do exist around Mérida, I was told by locals that La Gran Plaza is the best so that is probably where you would be most likely to find local girls.

Personally, I prefer the historic downtown around Catedral de Mérida as it is pretty lively and several of the local universities have their campuses there so you will see students walking around and hanging out everywhere at pretty much all times unless maybe you are there during a major holiday when everyone goes back to their hometowns to visit family or something (but, even then, a lot of them are from Mérida so there would still be some around).

Mérida is a very historical town that is well preserved and most of the cool stuff is in and around the historic downtown with the malls being located far enough away from most other things of interest that you would need a car to get between them. The town square area is also where nearly all of the good bars, clubs, restaurants, and so on are and it is where the college students go to enjoy themselves in the evening and nighttime as well. You can surely find girls at the mall too if you go there.

Note: When I say "town square area," I mean the historical part of town that radiates out in all directions from its epicenter at the Catedral de Mérida. When you are finding a place to stay in town, try to get as close to the epicenter as possible for the sake of logistics.

Munchings and Crunchings

You can’t really go wrong with a local taqueria and most of the restaurants around Mérida seem to be decent. I can make the following recommendations from my own experience though.

Taqueria Mixe: Nice staff and great food. They load their tacos and burritos up and they don’t skimp on anything. Great value for the price. I almost never cooked and at here damn near every day.

Tilingo Lingo: These guys are near Taqueria Mixe but are a bit on the pricier side if you order off the menu and not a la carte. They have seafood options which I love. I especially liked the tacos with “pulpo (octopus in Spanish).” There is a Uruguayan steakhouse right next door as well which I didn’t try but it looked good.

Tarbush: Lebanese restaurant owned and operated by a Druze family from Lebanon. Very nice people and the food is great. An average meal here with a meat thing and a veggie thing will probably run you around 200-250 Mexican pesos which is a lot more than what a meal at a taqueria will cost you but hey, that is foreign food for you. I’d say it’s worth it though and I recommend checking this place out.

Final Thoughts

Mérida is a great place to visit and relax for a while. It is very laid back and safe. The only real downsides to it are that, since this is Mexico, there is some obesity, though not nearly as much as I see when I go back to the US to visit my folks (just more than in Colombia), and it is a bit too relaxing after a while. It can veer a little on the boring side but that could be bad for some and great for others. Depends on your preference and how much of a maniac you are. If you like every day to be wildly different and filled with crazy activities and adventures, you may find Mérida boring but, if you like to live a very structured life with a regular routine and sleep schedule, Mérida could be your place.

Before I close this out, I want to recommend a few things around Mérida (all accessible by bus) for those who have the time and money to check them out:

Uxmal: This is an ancient Mayan city that was recommended to me over Chichen Itza by locals. The people I talked to who had been to Chichen Itza told me that it was more expensive, everything is roped off so you can’t touch anything, it’s crowded as hell, and their are hawkers swarming you constantly trying to sell you crap that you have no use for. By comparison, Uxmal was not crowded at all, admission was only about $12 USD, and almost nothing was roped off. I was able to climb up the stairs, walk into the rooms, and all that good stuff. Great place and a great experience.

Progreso Beach: Not impressive if you have been to places like SEA like I have but still relaxing and nice, especially since they are only a 30 minute drive from Mérida. You can also get kitesurfing lessons here.

Valladolid Cenotes: I was not able to go here but I kept hearing about them and word on the street was that they are the best cenotes in the Yucatan. The photos I’ve seen look amazing and I’ll definitely be checking them out if I find myself in the Yucatan again.

So, in closing, I recommend that anyone considering staying in Cancun for a while give some thought to Mérida as well. I think it could be a better alternative for a guy who goes into it with a plan.

Great datasheet, Waqqle [Image: thumb.gif]

Sounds like a nice spot, I've added Merida to my list of places to visit. Surprisingly, when I just searched I found hardly any other mentions of Merida on the forum (Merida, Venezuela has a bunch of mentions).

Would be great to see a some random Tinder profiles of the Amerindian looking 6s / 7s typical of what you'd seen walking around there from your firsthand experience. Kind of like Captain_Crunch has been doing on his excellent Kampala thread.

Waggle, love the datasheet. One question, so I'm in Playa at the moment, last night I opened up this chick at a restaurant by making a joke about something and she liked my joke and responded with some repartee. She was cute, probably 27-ish, no tattoos which says a lot in Playa and she is one of those Latinas that doesn't like to speak English, maybe she does but I opened in Spanish and she spoke Spanish with me, as did my waiter who was really cool and I asked him about a few places. I didn't number close on her due to being interrupted by the waiter then I just lost emotional momentum (bad game on me). I'm going back tonight for a quick appetizer to see if I can number close as a part of my 'rounds' tonight.

So, these are the Latinas that seem to be my target, I never interact with these girls on Quinta Avenida (the main drag in Playa del Carmen), however, I do seem to be able to open them in a more out of the way place like this restaurant that was two full blocks off the main strip and is more of a locals and/or upper class destination restaurant (my dinner was 500 pesos with tip and I didn't drink alcohol) so just by ordering the most expensive thing on the menu I was signaling something.

The real question is, were you opening in Spanish, maybe not as your Spanish is at the high beginner level? Sounds like you were finding the college girls that know english, which I do see a lot of now, the 18/19 year olds, right now, are much more likely to WANT to speak English, than the 27/28 year olds that are a tad more traditional.

What I perceive is that as my Spanish level increases, I am getting access to this group that has been inaccessible to me previously. I want to corroborate my perception with your experience. Maybe the college girl scene is just way different but I think you probably had some good observations in your time in Merida.

Also, I fucking love your story of finding that freak and avoiding spending the evening trying to hook up a threesome, good on ya. And you are so fucking right about that location switch game. I had a young chick in Santiago, Chile do that exact same fucking thing. She didn't have a smart phone and I was at the exact meeting spot at the exact time and she feigned ignorance of her deception.

I will definitely be coming to Merida after your and Scotian's data.

G

Repped, OP, nice datasheet. What are your thoughts on someone spending a few years there without owning a car?

Also, how was the wifi speed down there?

And did you see a lot of tattooed girls?

Merida's in my maybe pile...

I'll jump in because I am sort of in the area....

So, in my experience, mostly in Playa/Tulum/Cozumel and CDMX, having a car in Mexico is a game changer. I have tried it both ways and it just changed everything. For example, if you are in Playa and have a girl you can say to her, let's run down to Akumal for the day or Tulum. I took a girl from CDMX to Taxco for a long weekend and it was the bomb. They fucking love that shit. I know a couple of girls that never go to the beach in Playa but take a Collectivo to Akumal for the day. IF you had a car you could really hook up some fun for them.

I have rented cars a bunch here and will probably buy a car in Mexico in the next year. 99.9% of the time renting a car here is the biggest hassle I have ever experienced in my life. It is what made me go car shopping down here. However, I found one car rental place in Cancun and with a location in Playa that does not do the typical insurance racket. One price all included, 800 pesos per day. It is called U-Save Rent a Car Cancun and then they have a Playa location. Cozumel is the same, there is one place that has a non-crazy ripoff system for car rentals. The place is called Isis, just search and you will find it.

I was doing to drive a car down from the US but then realized it is so much cheaper to buy here if you are going to spend any significant time here like months or years.

I work remotely and what I do for internet is part of the time I hotspot on ATT as it was much faster than my T-Mobile/Telcel mobile hotspot. I have also found certain places where I can get better wifi speeds, and not usually at Starbucks. I work remotely so I need absolutely reliable Wifi and it has been a problem in Tulum but not Cozumel or Playa. Well, one time I rented an AirBnb and the speed was shit even with a direct service, in Playa.

Playa is the home of tattooed girls and also Tulum. Now, I didn't have a good experience in Tulum but other posters pointed out correctly that Tulum has a great female to male ratio and is a complete win on the big parties at Papaya Playa Project. But that is not my game as I am older.

I failed to pull last night in Playa. Tonight I am going to at least number close this one girl at a restaurant that I have been to a couple of times that has given me IOIs and have chatted with. I have another online girl that I pipelined that is dying to fuck as she was trying to have phone sex with me so that is on the menu for the weekend. Then I have another one that wants to go get a drink tonight that I'm going to try and pull to my room after a drink right after dark.

Quote: (12-21-2018 10:11 AM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

Repped, OP, nice datasheet. What are your thoughts on someone spending a few years there without owning a car?

Also, how was the wifi speed down there?

And did you see a lot of tattooed girls?

Merida's in my maybe pile...

@gmoneysauce: I just opened with "Hola. Como estas?" or something basic like that and take it as far as I could from there. People like it when you show that you are making an effort to learn their language andI like having another language in my life skill set. With the college girls, the conversation typically moves into English pretty quickly. I did not spend more than 200 pesos at a time as a rule and, if communication is really an issue, you can get a local SIM card for cheap, put some data on it, and use Google Translate or another translation app to help. I recommend getting a local SIM anyway since data is needed for maps, Uber and stuff like that.

@Spaniard88: Wifi speeds were pretty good when I was there. It went out a couple of times but never for more than a few hours. I think this is probably because I was using the free wifi provided by the shared house I was living in and the wifi would probably be even better if you had your own connection.

I saw some tattoos but nothing seriously obnoxious like what I see in the US. By that, I mean that I did not really see girls with full sleeves or cartoon characters tattooed on them. The most common sorts of tattoos I saw were the words on the collarbone that are in vogue now and little standalone images with the one I saw most frequently being a small minimalist rendering of an agave bush, which is the plant that tequila is made from. I think most girls either don't have tattoos or they have something small like that. Mercifully, I did not encounter many septum rings or ear gauges, which are two things very common in the US that I absolutely don't like. I think you will see a lot more tattoos in and around Cancun (Tulum, Cozumel, Playa, etc.) as gmoneysauce mentioned and you will probably also find a lot more pros and semi-pros there than in Mérida because that area is exclusively a tourist zone and tourism is pretty much all that drives the economy as far as I can tell whereas Mérida is a normal city with other things going on besides tourism.

As for living in Mérida without a car for a few years, I think it would be entirely possible and not hard to pull off since Uber is so cheap and easy to use throughout the city and the Yucatan in general. You could buy a car as gmoneysauce said and it would definitely not put you at a disadvantage but, if you didn't want to buy one, you could certainly do without it by using Uber and taking buses when you want to go somewhere too far enough away (like Uxmal for example) for an Uber to be cost effective. For example, the bus I took to Uxmal (it was 2-way, there and back on an open ticket) was about 170 pesos or something like that if I remember right whereas an Uber ride there from Merida (1-way) would have run a little over 1000 pesos. Within Mérida itself however, Uber is totally cost effective with rides very rarely going over 100 pesos in my experience (and usually that would be during rush hour or that time of night when people leave the clubs). A normal ride for me (say, from my house to Wal Mart; a 10-20 minute ride) would have been around 35-50 pesos.

Nice data sheet Waqqle, +1 from me.

I'm in Merida now, arrived here a couple of days ago from Playa Del Carmen on an ADO bus which cost 480 pesos and took about 3.5 hours. I've been here before and had a decent time so decided to return to chill for a few days and visit a chica I hooked up with last time. I agree with all of Waqqle's description of the city, it's a pretty chill spot, very clean and super safe especially by Latin American standards. I'm staying a couple of blocks away from Plaza Grande, it's a busy spot in the day and the night and the best area to be especially if you don't have a car, there's lots of cafes, restaurants, bars, etc. I just got back from one of the biggest malls, Gran Plaza, it's pretty nice and was full of people. I walked around for a bit and was paying attention to the quality of girls and especially looking out for tattoos and I can report for you Spaniard88 that I only saw one girl with a tattoo and it was relatively small, definitely no sleeves here. There weren't many dudes with tatts either, I only saw two guys with them.

I've seen come cute girls walking around but overall I'd say that the average quality is fairly low, I'd put it on par with a city in the Philippines, so walking around maybe 80% of women are unattractive, the rest falling in the bangable 5-7 range. I haven't seen any 8s to higher to be honest but I'm sure they're hiding out somewhere however this isn't Medellin, you'll definitely have to look for them.

I think the best part about the city is just how chill and calm it is, even in the busier streets, the shops aren't blaring loud music like you'd see in most Caribbean cities, the people don't litter, there's waste bins everywhere and the people use them. I've been casually approached by two beggars in the past three days, nothing like I've experienced in many Colombian cities where you can't enjoy a coffee at a side walk cafe without a steady stream of beggars bothering you. Also, there's absolutely no aggressive dudes trying to sell you drugs or girls and no pushy tour sellers like you'll see in Playa Del Carmen or Cancun.

There's another area of the city called Paseo de Montejo that's pretty nice too, basically it's a long, very wide boulevard lined with massive colonial estates dating back to the Spanish era. There's a bunch of nice restaurants and cafes but it's less busy than Plaza Grande and less compact so may be better with a car or to take an Uber. If you're interested in architecture and museums, there' s enough here to keep you busy, I drove by the Mayan Museum today and it looks impressive but I probably won't go. Some of the buildings in the downtown have plaques that state they're historical significance, some of them are pretty interesting such as Montejo's House which has a facade that features Plateresque architecture, in it are two Spanish soldiers standing on the heads of screaming Mayan natives and below are a bunch of screaming baby heads.

Past the Paseo de Montejo are all of the US restaurants (Chili's, Pizza Hut, etc), car dealerships, big box stores (Wal-Mart, Sam's, etc) so you can get most US amenities here.

I haven't done much chasing pussy as I've been banging this chica from before but I was chatting with some matches on Tinder and they were cute enough. This definitely isn't the place to come to rack up numbers or bang chicks that are really hot but if you're looking for a cheap, pleasant city that you can relax in and still date or bang some reasonably attractive women, then Merida is a decent option.

Thanks for the datasheet! I'll be there in January and likely will be staying a few months as long as I like it. Merida doesn't get talked about much but I'm looking forward to checking it out. I'm hoping to get a lot of work done while I'm there, and sounds like Merida might be perfect for that. I rented a little airbnb near the Plaza Las Americas mall area.

Quote: (12-21-2018 07:43 PM)WhatTheFuck Wrote:  

Thanks for the datasheet! I'll be there in January and likely will be staying a few months as long as I like it. Merida doesn't get talked about much but I'm looking forward to checking it out. I'm hoping to get a lot of work done while I'm there, and sounds like Merida might be perfect for that. I rented a little airbnb near the Plaza Las Americas mall area.

Post an update to the thread once you're there a bit, it seems like an interesting city. When I tinder passport there, I notice the girls are a bit chunky, but I'm sure there's plenty of cute ones too.

Seems like a chill spot, and being in a U.S. time zone is cool too. I speak Spanish, so it's a potential spot for me. In Manila right now, though.

WTF, I forgot to post this but when I was in Merida a couple of weeks ago I went to the Plaza Las Americas to check it out. The mall is ok, a bit small and dated though, I thought that Gran Plaza was better. Other than the mall, there doesn’t appear to be much up there other than some big box stores and restaurants but it’s definitely a wealthier area and the houses are nicer. It’s similar to the Gran Plaza area in that you’d be much better off having a vehicle, so if you don’t then I would suggest staying closer to centro and the tourist zone.

I also visited parque Centenario which also has the city zoo, that’s a nice spot to chill at for an afternoon. I didn’t make it out to Progreso but me an American retiree based out there he said it’s pretty nice and mellow, lots of old gringos out that way.

Quote: (01-07-2019 12:18 PM)scotian Wrote:  

WTF, I forgot to post this but when I was in Merida a couple of weeks ago I went to the Plaza Las Americas to check it out. The mall is ok, a bit small and dated though, I thought that Gran Plaza was better. Other than the mall, there doesn’t appear to be much up there other than some big box stores and restaurants but it’s definitely a wealthier area and the houses are nicer. It’s similar to the Gran Plaza area in that you’d be much better off having a vehicle, so if you don’t then I would suggest staying closer to centro and the tourist zone.

I also visited parque Centenario which also has the city zoo, that’s a nice spot to chill at for an afternoon. I didn’t make it out to Progreso but me an American retiree based out there he said it’s pretty nice and mellow, lots of old gringos out that way.

Awesome, not long now until I'm flying in. The room I got there is really cheap and I'll be around a while so if that neighborhood is too quiet I can always relocate. I'm gonna try and utilize the Merida public transport and see how that goes. I was in Peru last year for 7 months and the combo of walking, taking buses, and taxis as necessary worked fine there for me, but a central location always helps of course.

I'm not one of the dudes trying to wrack up big lay numbers, so probably just find a couple cute girls to hang with and that should keep me busy enough. Got to be as least a few fit chicas in the area. My Spanish is good now too so that makes things easier.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Merida is a cool little city. It's hot as fuck, definitely keep that in mind. I spent my first month sweating my ass off in a tiny apartment to the northwest of the city. Cost next to nothing and kind of sucked but fast Internet. Moved to a nicer spot now. You want to be in the center of the city or as close as possible, AC preferable, mostly for convenience.

Gets boring living in the middle of nowhere in some tranquil suburb. Still banged some girls though. Got a pretty good thing going now. Also, there is an app here called inDriver that is basically like Uber but you can propose your own rate and lowball the drivers, save a few pesos. Works for me, some girls think it's unsafe but for guys it's fine.

Things I was surprised about... how modern it is. Traffic is super controlled here compared to some other places I've been in Latin America. Also, there is an amazing amount of obesity haha. There are some good looking girls here, although the hottest I've met moved here from outside of the city. Haven't been anywhere else in Mexico to compare though so take that with a grain of salt.

Costs me about $1000 a month to be here right now, living a pretty nice lifestyle. If you do a lot of tours you'll spend more because they cost like $50-100 a piece..

Quote: (12-21-2018 01:04 AM)Waqqle Wrote:  

I had been living in Cali, Colombia learning salsa and Spanish for 3 months prior to going to Mérida so I was conversational in Spanish on a very basic level but well enough to get around and I was not totally inept when it came to dancing, which is a very useful skill in Latin America that I recommend any guy thinking about spending a significant amount of time in the region look into learning.

Would you say that learning salsa is sufficient, or are there any other dance styles you recommend?

Quote: (02-12-2019 01:31 AM)Ouroboros Wrote:  

Would you say that learning salsa is sufficient, or are there any other dance styles you recommend?

Forget learning any dances like salsa man unless you're super inspired by it. Literally never been in a situation when knowing how to dance is a positive. It is almost better that you act clueless so that you can play the please "teach me" angle.

I was in Mérida in July, and everything in this thread is dead-on.

I'd emphasize a few things:

1) It's hot. Really really hot, from the hours of 2-5 it's unbearable. I lounged by the pool or slept at that time. Go there and you understand the concept of the afternoon siesta.
2) The quality of women is not high, but you can find quite a lot of 7s walking around, if that's your thing. Personally, I don't dip below 8s.
3) Go to La Negrita for happy hour, 5 pm. So much fun there.
4) It's not a "little city" as someone said above. It's the capital of the Yucatán state, and it has 1 million people.
5) MOST IMPORTANT: It's safe. Oh man I've never been to a city that felt so tranquil and at ease. Not even ONE skeezy dude giving you the eye.
6) Paseo de Montejo is really great. Shady sidewalks, wide boulevard, old mansions.
7) Don't sleep on Thursday nights at Parque Santa Lucia. They've been doing a huge show there every Thursday for half a century, with good music, great dancing, even poetry. The crowd was great, lots of opportunity to open sets. I even stood next to Miss Mexico 2019 for a minute - she was there to make an appearance on stage - but didn't get a chance to talk to her lol.

Merida's gonna be great! I'll be there in April, hopefully we can link up?

Quote: (02-12-2019 01:22 AM)WhatTheFuck Wrote:  

Merida is a cool little city. It's hot as fuck, definitely keep that in mind. I spent my first month sweating my ass off in a tiny apartment to the northwest of the city. Cost next to nothing and kind of sucked but fast Internet. Moved to a nicer spot now. You want to be in the center of the city or as close as possible, AC preferable, mostly for convenience.

Gets boring living in the middle of nowhere in some tranquil suburb. Still banged some girls though. Got a pretty good thing going now. Also, there is an app here called inDriver that is basically like Uber but you can propose your own rate and lowball the drivers, save a few pesos. Works for me, some girls think it's unsafe but for guys it's fine.

Things I was surprised about... how modern it is. Traffic is super controlled here compared to some other places I've been in Latin America. Also, there is an amazing amount of obesity haha. There are some good looking girls here, although the hottest I've met moved here from outside of the city. Haven't been anywhere else in Mexico to compare though so take that with a grain of salt.

Costs me about $1000 a month to be here right now, living a pretty nice lifestyle. If you do a lot of tours you'll spend more because they cost like $50-100 a piece..

So you did end up moving eh? Ya I thought it was a bit too quiet and spread out by that mall when I checked out the area, unless you're living in centro, Merida seems to be pretty spread out, with US style suburban sprawl and strip malls, it sucks there without a car. You should definitely check out more of Yucatan, I really like Playa Del Carmen and Tulu, there's direct buses from Merida that take about 4 hours, the beaches and cenotes alone are worth the trip.

Merida kind of reminds me of the Philippines, the average girl isn't attractive, maybe as high as 60-70% women in the 18-30 range are unfuckable (and I have pretty low standards) but you'll see 6-7s and if you're happy with that range then Merida can be a good spot. If you're into the 8+ range girls, you probably won't like Merida so much, but those girls can be found in Playa/Tulum.

Salsa helps a lot. A lot of the girls here don't know how to dance good, so they're easy to impress. La Negrita Closes early, but it's a real nice bar. There's a place called 20Doce that might be good for some, but I'm not a huge fan of techno. Plenty of sets just wanting to be closed.

Mezicales is a good bar that has live salsa some Wednesdays. It's really good for a weekday, you'll find dtf girls. They also have reggaeton on weekends (or at least on fridays). La Pulquerida seems to be the better place for that though. It get's full, so get there early.

There's a few working girls here, so be careful about that. I'm pretty sure I talked to one after I found out her friend was working. Don't skimp on those Spanish lessons. You'll regret it.

What did you think about living in Cali? How did you do there?

The Mayan Ribiera and in general the Yucatan tri-state area practically requires a car due to logistics and distances.

You’ll be better off learning cumbia with salsa for Merida. Cumbia is the dance of choice in some of the best venues so if you don’t know it, you might feel like a fish out of water in some places.

Hey, this popped up in good time. I am actually getting ready up Mexico in the coming weeks. I've been leaning towards this area. Good to have a datasheet right around the corner. Good stuff. The cool thing about that area is you are so close to many other hot spots and beaches.

^I hope you enjoy extreme heat and intense sun because it will be hot as balls down there in the coming months.

Yea, it’s a small city. Where are you coming from?

Another great place to go: Mambo Cafe. Super cute girls and a great atmosphere. That brings me to another helpful dance to have: Mambo. Mambo is basically salsa, except on two instead of on one. It's a 40 peso uber ride from the wal-mart on paseo montejo. If you already know how to dance on two, or you're willing to learn, it's worth a visit.