rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hang glider instructor forgets to strap in tandem passenger

Note to self - learn to do muscle ups.

Fractured wrist and torn bicep tendon, he was very lucky it wasn’t worse

Amazing what you can do when everything is on the line.

If you asked that guy to hold onto a chinup bar for that long in a gym then there's no way he could have done it. At the end he explains that he tore tendons holding on that long. Sucks that he ended up with interior jewellery but it could have been much worse. At that rate of descent I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing at least 80kph when he hit the ground.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

Not just hanging on to the bar, but hanging on with the wind blowing against him at 100+km/h and the bar shaking violently. Not many guys could do that.

Note to self.
Improve grip strength AND add in chin ups and pull ups to upper body days.

That's why I love sky diving [Image: smile.gif]

just wondering if he shit his pants..

Impressed by his forearm strength.

Pretty solid legal case there, hope they have good insurance.

Heck of an effort, as Leonard said, no way the normal person pulls that off at a gym in a controlled environment, nevermind with the wind pressure.

Quote: (11-27-2018 07:09 AM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Note to self.

That's incredible, how he managed to hang on. I've got sweaty palms just watching it and I would have slipped off the bar just from that (and also from lack of strength a bit later).

Gents, get yourselves over to the Pullup thread and stay there till you can give me 20 good ones;

thread-71237.html

‘After you’ve got two eye-witness accounts, following an automobile accident, you begin
To worry about history’ – Tim Allen

Man I would have done a pull-up and wrapped my arms in the pilots safety harness.

Probably would have caused him to crash but I would not accept dying alone given his negligence lol.

Quote: (11-27-2018 07:09 AM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Note to self.

Which is why I'm religious about doing military pull-ups on directly followed by using lat-bar at a lower weight. Also pulling himself up and wrapping at least one leg around the bar may have made it easier on him, but yeah, easier said than done at 100km/hr.

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."
– Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Quote: (11-27-2018 08:06 AM)JimBobsCooters Wrote:  

Pretty solid legal case there, hope they have good insurance.

Heck of an effort, as Leonard said, no way the normal person pulls that off at a gym in a controlled environment, nevermind with the wind pressure.

Things don't work that way here in Europe. Some idiot Spaniard hit my moto with a car (his fault) and didn't seem very concerned when the cops showed up. And he was allowed to drive off afterward after collecting his info. In the U.S. he'd be in a world of hurt and probably end up paying tens of thousands in restitution.

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."
– Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Adrenaline: turns mortal been into animals.

Torn tendons and all and he still had a vice grip holding on for dear life.

That company won't last long after the lawsuit and the glider professional will have to get bent over as well. It should be like second nature to check all safety points in that setting to the point you are bothers if you don't go through all the steps to check.

In before inevitable Wedding Crashers 'Chaz' clip.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

"Once you've gotten the lay you have won."- Mufasa

"You Miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Wayne Gretzky

Dude has a good sense of humor about him in the video considering he could've died. Watching the video is insane, at least it was beautiful up there!

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.

I read somewhere that the human body is actually quite a lot stronger than we think, it's just that we can't consciously access this strength, since it would end up damaging our own body.

It's reserved for emergency situations like this one, where surviving is all that matters.

His body and subconscious went "Torn tendons? Who the fuck cares! Use emergency override, remove all limitations, increase power level to 100%".

It's like those stories about car accidents where an average woman is suddenly able to lift up a car in order to save her child.

Quote: (11-28-2018 11:03 AM)Belgrano Wrote:  

It's like those stories about car accidents where an average woman is suddenly able to lift up a car in order to save her child.

I.e. the premise of the Bixby Incredible Hulk pilot.

The other example are the physical feats Bruce Lee was supposedly able to pull off.

I read somewhere that the human body is actually quite a lot stronger than we think, it's just that we can't consciously access this strength, since it would end up damaging our own body.

It's reserved for emergency situations like this one, where surviving is all that matters.

His body and subconscious went "Torn tendons? Who the fuck cares! Use emergency override, remove all limitations, increase power level to 100%".

This is a very interesting phenomenon I stumbled upon years ago after reading a article about some kind of mountain climber who had a huge boulder (honestly I feel like they said it weighed close to a ton) somehow fall on top of him while he was climbing and once he landed with the boulder on top of him they were sliding towards a cliff and before he reached the edge of the cliff he shoved the boulder off him to prevent him from going over. It SEVERELY damaged the tendons and muscles in both his arms... the doctors said the damage was from the force he used to push the boulder off not from the fall or being crushed. Fascinated I remember doing some research and finding out that we really only use a fraction of strength.... just like we only use a fraction of brain. If we could find a way to tap into our true strength and fully utilize our brains we would damn near be gods.... mortal gods though.... with mortgages and SUVs

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

^^^that's very true. In basic training that live grenade I was handed went flying farther than anything I've ever thrown.

I am afraid that women appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters all the same. They love being dominated.
--Oscar Wilde

It's called Adrenaline, look it up lol.

I would have tried to pull myself up Tom Cruise style and get my armpit above the bar or wrapped my legs around the bar, but that would involve moving the right hand to the bar, so I probably would have ended up slipping and falling to my death.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Quote: (11-28-2018 02:57 PM)renotime Wrote:  

I would have tried to pull myself up Tom Cruise style and get my armpit above the bar or wrapped my legs around the bar, but that would involve moving the right hand to the bar, so I probably would have ended up slipping and falling to my death.

I would have took my free hand and reached up and tickled in the instructor while saying "coochie coochie coo"

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

So the takeaway is that pulldowns really aren't a substitute for pullups?

Hidey-ho, RVFerinos!

It's way more than just adrenaline. It's some area of the brain that regulates this level of super strength (basically summoning all of our motor units) so we don't damage ourselves. Certain mental patients can regularly show off such strength feats because their damaged brains cannot regulate it.