rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice for sport

Advice for sport

I have decided to quit MMA, I started with kick boxing some years ago, then I trained Boxing and BJJ then MMA (started in 2017) with MMA I had 2 injuries one was serious leg muscle rip with a deep big hematoma between muscle and bone (I was close to need surgery), I ran the risk to loose muscle functionality. Doctors told me I would loose part of functionally but now after 6 moths it looks fine. Anyway I'm done with MMA, I was thinking to go Back to BJJ, tuesday I tried one lesson the day after I was destroyed, and I found it boring (Kimono, martial arts rules, belts etc). In the past I trained about 2 years with BJJ. Is not so much gentle on your body, I had 2 protrusions in my back, they are very common in BJJ/grappling/wrestling. I believe you get also some blows to the head while sparring.

Pros of MMA:

I love the gym (people, environment, trainers, competitions)
I like the workout and the sport (Kick boxing, boxing, grappling, no kimono and martial arts bullshit)

Cons:

Essentially one one you destroy your body with sparring (you can't play this sport without sparring). There are some guys in my gym in their 18-20s who spar 2 times per day they have symptoms of CTE (they don't care of going KO). And this really scares me.
Then I saw people with broken: knee, hand, fingers, shoulder, nose, sternum, muscles rip, ligaments, toes etc. People sometime needs surgery to fix themselves, things that happens often in a MMA gym. I think is enough to stop.

I need to find out what to do, because I need to play a sport. at least 3-4 days a week, if 5-6 maybe is even better. I would skip all contact sports (boxing, Rugby, football etc) due to written reasons.

I tried swimming (I swim well, I did it in the past) but I think is too boring for me in the long time.

I was thinking about weight lifting, I don't like Body Building, so powerlifting may be better. I tried a lesson and I liked it, after the lesson I felt very very very very well, no injuries no blows on my body, I was tired but also it boosted my energy. Anyone here does powerlifting? How many times per week do you train? Do you do some cardio/conditioning during the week or just lifting?

If you would like to suggest me some advices I will listen you.

Thanks!

Advice for sport

I'm working with a guy who does Strongman competitions. A bit different from Powerlifting. You should at least check it out.

Advice for sport

And what about just boxing?

It looks like you need one area to focus on, but what about combining it?
2-3x gym
2x running
1-2x box just for fun

I think this could be good routine to maintain.

I don´t know much about powerlifting, but it doesn´t seem to be sport for me at all. Just picking up weights is not sport.

"Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Advice for sport

Quote: (11-22-2018 02:28 PM)tomzestatlu Wrote:  

2-3x gym
2x running
1-2x box just for fun

I don´t know much about powerlifting, but it doesn´t seem to be sport for me at all. Just picking up weights is not sport.

I love boxing but is the same of MMA, you don't get low kicks but more blows to head, liver and ribs.... (I have all ribs already messed up!)

What is your sport?

I was thinking about Powerlifting and Crossfit togheter:

Something like:

Monday Powerlifting
Tuesday Crossfit
Wednesday Rest
Thursday Powerlifting
Friday: Crossfit

Advice for sport

Quote: (11-22-2018 03:16 PM)ìlikegirls Wrote:  

2-3x gym
2x running
1-2x box just for fun

I love boxing but is the same of MMA, you don't get low kicks but more blows to head, liver and ribs.... (I have all ribs already messed up!)

What is your sport?

Something like:

Monday Powerlifting
Tuesday Crossfit
Wednesday Rest
Thursday Powerlifting
Combining powerlifting and crossfit seems to be nice idea. My opinion is, that one should be multifunctional. There was a powerlifting group in gym I was going to and one of the main members was really fat and unhealthy looking. All he could do was grab heavy dumbbell and then go home. That´s not a sport.

I like whatever. Working out (I like bodyweight more) and running are basics. First half of this year I was training for MMA fight. Then I got 5 months off (summer, injuries,...) and now I´m starting again.

"Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Advice for sport

Quote: (11-22-2018 03:45 PM)tomzestatlu Wrote:  

2-3x gym
2x running
1-2x box just for fun

What is your sport?

Something like:

Monday Powerlifting
Tuesday Crossfit
Wednesday Rest
Thursday Powerlifting
Combining powerlifting and crossfit seems to be nice idea. My opinion is, that one should be multifunctional. There was a powerlifting group in gym I was going to and one of the main members was really fat and unhealthy looking. All he could do was grab heavy dumbbell and then go home. That´s not a sport.

I like whatever. Working out (I like bodyweight more) and running are basics. First half of this year I was training for MMA fight. Then I got 5 months off (summer, injuries,...) and now I´m starting again.

Are you doing MMA?

Powerlifting has weight classes like boxing and MMA. If you see Brock Lesnar or Fedor they are fat and ugly like all heavyweights powerlifters. If you look 80-90 kg powerlifters they probably look healthy and in good shape like same weight classes athletes.

I like free weights lifting, barbells, squat, deadlift, pull ups. I don't like gym machines like leg/chest press that body builders use for pumping, I believe they are harmful while free weights are extremely good for body.

I don't like body building since is something for gay men: obsession for body and diet, body hair removal, tanning bed, like women do. And I don't like BB physiques with pumping training their muscles looks like swollen and not with a natural shape.

There is a guy in my MMA gym he was born in 1996. He has slurred speech troubles with memory, he is 60kg he spars also heavy guys he doesn't care about getting KO during training. I would be curious to see him after 5-10 or more years. But after 3-4 years of heavy training and competitions his brain is already messed up..

Advice for sport

Quote: (11-22-2018 04:03 PM)ìlikegirls Wrote:  

2-3x gym
2x running
1-2x box just for fun

What is your sport?

Something like:

Monday Powerlifting
Tuesday Crossfit
Wednesday Rest
Thursday Powerlifting

I don't like body building since is something for gay men: obsession for body and diet, body hair removal, tanning bed, like women do. And I don't like BB physiques with pumping training their muscles looks like swollen and not with a natural shape.

There's a bunch of body builders on the forum. All of that stuff is primarily for competitive bodybuilding (which I'm not into it's generally a roided up male beauty contest.)

There's nothing gay about striving to be the best you can be, and many of us who lift also have pussy on the mind when working out (but for me it is mostly about myself. I want to feel good.)

I was a powerlifter until summer (prototypical fat strongman) but I've cut a bunch of weight and am moving to body building and I feel fantastic and have had girls straight up hit on me ("I like how tall you are" with puppy dog eyes type shit) for the first time in years.

Advice for sport

Quote: (11-22-2018 05:08 PM)godfather dust Wrote:  

Quote: (11-22-2018 04:03 PM)ìlikegirls Wrote:  

2-3x gym
2x running
1-2x box just for fun

What is your sport?

Something like:

Monday Powerlifting
Tuesday Crossfit
Wednesday Rest
Thursday Powerlifting

There's a bunch of body builders on the forum. All of that stuff is primarily for competitive bodybuilding (which I'm not into it's generally a roided up male beauty contest.)

There's nothing gay about striving to be the best you can be, and many of us who lift also have pussy on the mind when working out (but for me it is mostly about myself. I want to feel good.)

I was a powerlifter until summer (prototypical fat strongman) but I've cut a bunch of weight and am moving to body building and I feel fantastic and have had girls straight up hit on me ("I like how tall you are" with puppy dog eyes type shit) for the first time in years.

in my MMA gym there is one bodybuilder (he trains sometime MMA) he is huge but he has an awful physique, and kind of narcissistic personality all the things I wrote. He doesn't compete, he has a girlfriend but he is not 100% masculine, everyone think that. He sucks in MMA he has fear and no mobility, so 100 kg man useless, only good to watch himself in the mirror.

What are differences between BB and PL training?

PL 5x5 with free weights
BB phase 1 strength, phase 2 bulking, phase 3 cutting (all these phases during year) so some PL exercises + pumping like 4x8 or 4x 12 reps with gym machines?

Advice for sport

Mainly diet IMO. Gorging food and lifting heavy WILL make you stronger at expense of appearance.

Advice for sport

Quote: (11-22-2018 05:25 PM)godfather dust Wrote:  

Mainly diet IMO. Gorging food and lifting heavy WILL make you stronger at expense of appearance.

This is a powerlifter: https://www.instagram.com/jessenorr/?utm...e=ig_embed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Norris

This one too:

https://www.instagram.com/optimusprime_334/

I think just depends on your weight class.

Advice for sport

ìlikegirls We have very similar views on sport.

The powerlifting guy was really nothing like Fedor, more like your company IT guy.

I was training MMA/BJJ for longer time, but with a lot of pauses and mostly for fun and as a part of training, like 1-2 a week. At the beginning of this year I decided to go all-in into this and prepare for MMA fight as a new experience.
Now after 5 months I am starting to train again (I had fucked up finger and then fucked up another finger in another way, now I am finally able to box at least in gloves). But I will make it only a part of my training.

I really dislike bodybuilding. These guy aren´t reaching their peak at all. They do think that and that´s bad. During high school I only was going to gym. I didn´t take any suplements, but it was everyday routine and I was really good. Then I came to MMA gym and I realized I totally suck.
I rather workout outside, because I don´t like people in the gym, I hate shirts with motivational signs. It´s safe space, where everyone ensures each other, that they are good. But they aren´t. Lifting weights in gym is the easiest form of physical activity at all. I spent 4 years in gym almost everyday and it was piece of cake in comparison to other physical activities I went through, like MMA or military training. It reminds me of one guy, who was bodybuilder at the unit and he was big. He was good and he had a heart. But there was one deadly run 2-3 times a week during intensive training period and he always passed out at the end. He always got injection, that made him work again. Everybody was totally destroyed and needed some minutes to recover, but in real situation, you couldn´t get treatment from medic to continue in fight. And 99% guys would quit after this, he always continued, because he was a fighter.

Advice for sport

Quote: (11-24-2018 08:18 AM)tomzestatlu Wrote:  

The powerlifting guy was really nothing like Fedor, more like your company IT guy.

I was training MMA/BJJ for longer time, but with a lot of pauses and mostly for fun and as a part of training, like 1-2 a week. At the beginning of this year I decided to go all-in into this and prepare for MMA fight as a new experience.
Now after 5 months I am starting to train again (I had fucked up finger and then fucked up another finger in another way, now I am finally able to box at least in gloves). But I will make it only a part of my training.

I really dislike bodybuilding. These guy aren´t reaching their peak at all. They do think that and that´s bad. During high school I only was going to gym. I didn´t take any suplements, but it was everyday routine and I was really good. Then I came to MMA gym and I realized I totally suck.
I rather workout outside, because I don´t like people in the gym, I hate shirts with motivational signs. It´s safe space, where everyone ensures each other, that they are good. But they aren´t. Lifting weights in gym is the easiest form of physical activity at all. I spent 4 years in gym almost everyday and it was piece of cake in comparison to other physical activities I went through, like MMA or military training. It reminds me of one guy, who was bodybuilder at the unit and he was big. He was good and he had a heart. But there was one deadly run 2-3 times a week during intensive training period and he always passed out at the end. He always got injection, that made him work again. Everybody was totally destroyed and needed some minutes to recover, but in real situation, you couldn´t get treatment from medic to continue in fight. And 99% guys would quit after this, he always continued, because he was a fighter.

Are you in the military?

So you want to compete in MMA? Are you considering a pro career or just for fun?

I would suggest not to do it, not for knee or broken hands but because of CTE, brain damage due to repeated blows to the head.

Anyway if you love it you must do it, but do clever sparring not stupid sparring like people do in many gyms.

So with protection, and not too much sparring.

"Lifting weight is the easiest thing to do" it depends how much weight do you lift! After a serious lift training I'm really tired.

I'm not saying all body builders are gay, but most of them they are.....

Advice for sport

Quote: (11-25-2018 02:09 PM)ìlikegirls Wrote:  

Are you in the military?

So you want to compete in MMA? Are you considering a pro career or just for fun?

I would suggest not to do it, not for knee or broken hands but because of CTE, brain damage due to repeated blows to the head.

Anyway if you love it you must do it, but do clever sparring not stupid sparring like people do in many gyms.

"Lifting weight is the easiest thing to do" it depends how much weight do you lift! After a serious lift training I'm really tired.

I was.
My involment in MMA is only and just for fun.

Yes you are tired after serious lift training. But still not big deal in comparison, to 10 sparing rounds, right?

Advice for sport

Quote: (11-25-2018 03:33 PM)tomzestatlu Wrote:  

Are you in the military?

I was.

Yes you are tired after serious lift training. But still not big deal in comparison, to 10 sparing rounds, right?

Which branch? Army?

I can't make a comparison between lifting and sparring because are two different thing.

I can say when I'm well trained I can make 15 rounds easily but it depends on the opponent and how is the sparring. If it is with same intensity of a match it is very very tiring, but if the opponent is not so good is not tiring. If you make MMA sparring (5 minutes round with grappling) I think is not possible making more than 5. Boxing or kick boxing sparring is different.

Anyway lifting heavy weight: Squat (not leg press!), bench press, pull ups and stuff like that is really tiring. But it depends also the intensity of training if you push 80% or 100%.

Advice for sport

Quote: (11-25-2018 04:21 PM)ìlikegirls Wrote:  

Quote: (11-25-2018 03:33 PM)tomzestatlu Wrote:  

Are you in the military?

I was.

Which branch? Army?

I can't make a comparison between lifting and sparring because are two different thing.

I can say when I'm well trained I can make 15 rounds easily but it depends on the opponent and how is the sparring. If it is with same intensity of a match it is very very tiring, but if the opponent is not so good is not tiring. If you make MMA sparring (5 minutes round with grappling) I think is not possible making more than 5. Boxing or kick boxing sparring is different.

Anyway lifting heavy weight: Squat (not leg press!), bench press, pull ups and stuff like that is really tiring. But it depends also the intensity of training if you push 80% or 100%.
There are not branches like in US. I was at airborne unit.

I can´t compare it, so that´s why I do everything. But just lifting weights is not enough, in my opinion.

Advice for sport

You could take a look at Olympic Lifting. There is more skill involved that in Powerlifting. You need speed, strength and power.

Advice for sport

Quote: (11-27-2018 11:07 AM)Montrose Wrote:  

You could take a look at Olympic Lifting. There is more skill involved that in Powerlifting. You need speed, strength and power.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about it too. I made them with Crossfit and like them a lot but for sure nothing compared to an Olympic lifting specific course.

Do you train Olympic lifting?

Advice for sport

I don’t, I just do Power Cleans and I like it a lot. It’s a good way to spend all my energy.

Advice for sport

Quote: (11-27-2018 11:29 AM)Montrose Wrote:  

I don’t, I just do Power Cleans and I like it a lot. It’s a good way to spend all my energy.

I love the power clean, Thursters, clean and jerk, push press.

The most difficult for me is the snatch.

Advice for sport

If you want to go way down the other path and looking to replace the mental aspect rather than the physical aspect then golf is a great sport to get into, with the added advantage of getting a headstart on everyone else who will eventually fall into it when it's the only sport you can play.

Physically it's challenging without being challenging, just the coordination element but mentally it's probably the toughest sport out there. Also has the added bonus of being a great sport to travel with and probably the best there is for camaraderie and mateship, get a good group of friends together to play golf and you've got holidays, weekends and whatever planned.

Added bonus that it's about as impossible to master as the martial arts are, in that no matter how good you get at any aspect of the sport, you could always be better.

Negative is that it's not cheap, although you can get a decent set of 2nd hand clubs for a very reasonable price and if you're no good you'll find as many balls as you lose so will rarely have to buy new ones, if you're good then that cost is eliminated as you'll only replace balls once you wear them out. Traveling for golf can be very expensive but is a great experience none the less.

Range sessions are effectively like training sessions for MMA and then you spar with your mates on the weekend, if you want to you can join a club/comp and go for even more competition. One of the good elements is the handicapping system means that if you do go down this path you're always a chance to win as the whole system is create to level the playing field.

Finally it's a phenomenal networking sport if you're in the business world in anyway, you can make connections that pave your path if you do things right.