rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Moral quandary over shipping error

I recently ordered a health/wellness product that cost over $500 CAD. The company has an office not far from where I live, so when I placed my order I told them not to ship it, that I would come in and pick it up. A couple days later I did so. When I got the product, I was a little underwhelmed; for what it is, it seems overpriced. Still I can't complain since it seems to work as advertised, and the company was good to deal with.

A few days after I picked it up, I received a package from the company. They sent me the exact same thing I ordered. There must have been a mistake in their system, and their shipping department didn't realize I'd already picked up my order in person. I've no idea if they will notice their mistake. It hasn't been long since I received it, but there is a post/courier record showing I received the package.

I'm wondering what I should do here. I can call them and let them know. I imagine they will ask me to return the extra product and then reimburse me the shipping cost.

I could potentially use the extra product, or keep it as a backup. I could give it to a friend who is struggling with their health and finances. I could sell it on eBay and try and recoup my original expense (I could get 60-70% of its value). If it matters, the company is small-ish, not some huge corporation. Money is tight right now. If this had happened five years ago, I would have returned the extra product without thinking twice. When I was in better shape I was more or less perfectly scrupulous and not opportunistic whatsoever.

Last year I had a similar situation with a different company and a less expensive product (around $100). That time, I just kept and used the extra product. I didn't lose any sleep over it.

What does everyone think?

Personally, I'd still return it, primarily because of this:

Quote:Quote:

If it matters, the company is small-ish, not some huge corporation.

If it were some globohomo corporation like Amazon I'd say fuck 'em, but in this case I think they really deserve that product back, or at least a notice about it so they can decide.

Speaking of which, my wife recently had a similar issue with a UK organic products company whose shipment hadn't arrived far past the deadline, so she messaged them to complain and they sent her another one... but then she received both of them! She notified them about this and they told her to just keep the second shipment as an apology gift. Happens surprisingly often, again assuming you're not dealing with vile globohomo corporations.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Do the right thing and contact them.

They might even let you keep it and then you'll have a clear conscience.

Character counts.

Just called them, they asked me to send it back and will reimburse me the cost. Thanks for the advice.

Do the right thing and tell us what is then we can have an RVF auction for it, I’ll bid first at $50.

Quote: (09-17-2018 04:32 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Do the right thing and tell us what is then we can have an RVF auction for it, I’ll bid first at $50.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Penis-Pu...xygPtS4v2F

Quote: (09-17-2018 04:58 PM)Thot Leader Wrote:  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Penis-Pu...xygPtS4v2F

[Image: picard-wtf-meme-generator-what-the-fuck-...2a74ca.jpg]

Why the fuck is a simple piece of plastic selling at $1300? Explain!

Also:

Quote:Ebay Wrote:

101 Sold, More than 74% Sold

[Image: facepalm2.gif]

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

You already did the right thing,good for you.
The way I look at it, if the company had billed you twice for one item,would you have complained? If the answer is yes, then you should return the product.
Another way to look at it is, if this were your company, would you want the customer to return the product? If yes, then you should return it.

Good to hear you returned it, but the fact that you said you would have without hesitation back when your situation was better had me raise my eyebrows.

Your morals shouldn't vary with external circumstances.

For instance, on the topic of gay rights, regardless of your position, it infuriates me to see the degree of support these days when everyone knows that they have the mob on their side and are risking sweet fuck all, and it's become fashionable. Where were all these people when there was a real chance they'd be beaten or blacklisted from jobs and polite society? Even if I disagree with your stance, I'll respect someone immensely for taking a position to the point of personal hardship.

I don't remember the source, but there's a neat quote along the lines of "A principle isn't a principle until it costs you something".

Quote: (09-18-2018 03:31 PM)Seadog Wrote:  

Good to hear you returned it, but the fact that you said you would have without hesitation back when your situation was better had me raise my eyebrows.

Your morals shouldn't vary with external circumstances.

For instance, on the topic of gay rights, regardless of your position, it infuriates me to see the degree of support these days when everyone knows that they have the mob on their side and are risking sweet fuck all, and it's become fashionable. Where were all these people when there was a real chance they'd be beaten or blacklisted from jobs and polite society? Even if I disagree with your stance, I'll respect someone immensely for taking a position to the point of personal hardship.

I don't remember the source, but there's a neat quote along the lines of "A principle isn't a principle until it costs you something".

If you were starving and you found a bag full of money, would you make a point of returning it (assuming it was possible to find the owner)? Extreme example to be sure, but since morals should never change with circumstances...