rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hollywood realizing their shitty comedy is a money loser

They didn't quite reach the epiphany but they're close. Hollywood is realizing that modern comedy sucks. They are blaming it on Youtube and Netflix, but I suspect the problem runs much deeper - their political BS and hackneyed usual safe subjects just are not delivering on the laughs:

Quote:Quote:

Comedies are becoming a grim business for Hollywood.

Traditional comedies are struggling for oxygen at the box office, caught between superhero sequels that integrate laughs and a vast buffet of stand-up specials, sitcoms, amateur pranks and original films on digital services like Netflix and YouTube,

Last year’s most successful adult comedy, “Girls Trip,” took in $117 million in the U.S. and Canada. The last time the year’s highest-grossing comedy grossed so little was 1995, when tickets cost 52% less on average.

It wasn’t an anomaly. The five most successful adult comedies grossed an average of $141 million in 2013, $109 million in 2015 and just $85 million last year.

So far in 2018, the biggest live-action comedy has been “Game Night,” which took in just $69 million. Melissa McCarthy’s “Life of the Party,” has grossed $52 million, her lowest-grossing comedy ever. Amy Schumer’s “I Feel Pretty” is finishing its box office run with $49 million, less than half of her debut hit “Trainwreck.” “Action Point,” from the producer and star of “Jackass,” has grossed just $5 million, compared with $117 million for “Jackass 3-D” in 2010.

When adult dramas started to fade at the box office in the early 2010s, most people in Hollywood agreed the reason was a boom in high-quality drama series like “Breaking Bad” and “House of Cards” on cable and streaming platforms that meant people could get their fix at home. In addition, most dramas aren’t visually compelling enough to qualify as mandatory big-screen viewing.

But many thought comedy and horror were immune to small-screen competition. As evidenced by April’s $186 million hit “A Quiet Place,” many people still prefer to be scared in a dark theater packed with other people. Comedy, proponents argued, worked the same way: Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey and Julia Roberts were so successful, they figured, because it is more fun to laugh with 200 people than alone on your couch.

Now that is proving to not be true. With stand-up specials on Netflix, pranksters on YouTube and animated GIFs on social media, people can get more than enough laughs on any digital device. In addition, people who want to laugh at the cinema can do so at the same time they watch their favorite superheroes kick butt in movies like “Deadpool 2,” “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Thor: Ragnarok” that blend action-adventure with comedy.

“The biggest movies now are sucking up so many genres, including comedy, that after you see one you no longer need to go see something different to get your comedy itch scratched,” said Megan Colligan, a consultant and veteran studio marketing executive.

Several major comedy stars are now making direct-to-streaming films for Netflix Inc., including Mr. Sandler, Chris Rock and Will Ferrell, a sign of the diminished opportunities at traditional studios that release in theaters and a further incentive for audiences to stay at home.

Just five years ago, things were quite different. In 2013, Ms. McCarthy and Sandra Bullock’s “The Heat” and the raucous R-rated “We’re the Millers” each grossed more than $150 million domestically. Another movie with Ms. McCarthy, “Identity Thief,” was close behind with $135 million. “Grown Ups 2,” “Anchorman 2,” “Bad Grandpa,” “This is the End” and even the widely maligned “Hangover Part III” all exceeded $100 million in domestic ticket sales.

Now, the only major comedy hits are those made for children. “Peter Rabbit,” featuring computer-generated critters that outsmart real-life adults, grossed a healthy $115 million in February, and animated comedies like “Despicable Me 3” and “The Boss Baby” were top grossers last year.

“The Incredibles 2,” which mixes family-friendly action, comedy and drama, scored a massive $182.7 million in its opening weekend.

Though certain subgenres like romantic comedy have nearly disappeared, most studios aren’t yet abandoning adult comedy. They have, however, slashed spending on them so that they can potentially become profitable on lower grosses than were needed in the past. No comedy stars earn the $20 million per picture that Messrs. Carrey and Sandler and Ms. Roberts sometimes did in the past.

“Tag” is a recent example of the new approach. Made for just $28 million, it features no major comedy stars and was sold primarily on its concept, a real-life story about grown friends in a decadeslong game of tag that was based on a Wall Street Journal article.

“There was a time when comedies were being made for $70 million. Then $45 million. Now the sweet spot is in the 20s,” said Todd Garner, a producer of “Tag” who previously produced comedies starring Mr. Sandler.

“Tag” opened to $15 million, just a little less than the openings of “Life of the Party,” and “Game Night.” The highest opening for a comedy this year was “Blockers,” about parents coping with teenage daughters who want to lose their virginity, at $20.6 million.

Given their modest budgets, all those films could end up in the black, particularly if they do well on home video, television and streaming in the years to come. In the past, however, comedies that grossed hundreds of millions were hugely profitable, even if they were costly to make. Those days appear to be behind Hollywood.

Any hopes that 2018 will have a single $100 millon-plus comedy likely lie later in the year, with the romantic comedy “Crazy Rich Asians” or Kevin Hart’s and Tiffany Haddish’s “Night School,” studio executives said.

Once upon a time, Hollywood gave us Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor and others like them. Now they shove us Aziz Ansari and Cuck Rogan and nobody's laughing. That isn't Youtube's fault.

The last time a movie made me laugh, I mean really laugh, was almost 20 years ago.
Since then it's only been the occasional smirk or amused chuckle from me.

I guess "animated GIFs on social media" have ruined me for Hollywood.
Goddamn internet.

I have noticed the last Hollywood comedies are all about degenerate women. It started with Brigit Jones a few decades ago and now it is all about bad moms, single moms, intolerable divorcees, pregnancies with no paternity, slutty teachers and various fat sluts and their stupid "adventures" while they get drunk and only have bad habits. I assume handsome men still pursue these sluts in these movies, but I don't know for sure because I don't watch them. I would rather watch paint dry then watch such shit. Modern comedies are just stupid women acting idiotically and it being labeled as funny. I actually would rather work overtime with no pay then spend time watching that shit.

All my comedy needs are satisfied with news about the latest leftist antics anyway. Who needs fictitious jokes when there are leftist idiocies and the righteous shitloads like Trump, McGinnes, Steven Crowder and others who refute and trigger the degenerates. It's much more relevant and funny then PC jokes about single moms. It's even funnier then legitimate jokes of old time masculine comedians who could never dream that reality in 21st century would become more absurd then their jokes of 20th century.

Actually trying to think of a recent movie that made me laugh out loud in a cinema. There aren't any. The last time I laughed out loud, properly, at a film in the cinema was Borat. And that was a very long time ago.

Talking of comedies, I watched The Mask again recently. Can't believe she was only 20 in this movie. My first 'famous person' crush.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Quote: (06-25-2018 10:33 AM)Mage Wrote:  

I have noticed the last Hollywood comedies are all about degenerate women.

It's more about EVERYBODY behaving badly, including Muppets.

Superman said it best:

[Image: No-one-stays-good-in-this-world..jpg]

^ If I were superman I would put all fat female comedians on the moon

edit: no I wouldn't - that could cause our planet to spin off orbit.

Mage - totally agree. I had this displeasure of hearing some bad moms Christmas type advert on the radio in December all the time. The "joke was essentially this clip from the film:

*doorbell*
"happy easter!"
"Mom it's Christmas"
"whatever"

That's comedy?

Quote: (06-25-2018 11:22 PM)Matt3B Wrote:  

Mage - totally agree. I had this displeasure of hearing some bad moms Christmas type advert on the radio in December all the time. The "joke was essentially this clip from the film:

*doorbell*
"happy easter!"
"Mom it's Christmas"
"whatever"

That's comedy?

For women, yes. (just goes to show women have no sense of humor)
For us, it’s in dire need of a better punchline.

“As long as you are going to be thinking anyway, think big.” - Donald J. Trump

"I don't get all the women I want, I get all the women who want me." - David Lee Roth

I just Googled the box office movies for October 1994, I was 12 and remember watching a lot of movies around that because they were so good: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/cha...=41&p=.htm

Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, Jurrasic Park and the Shawshank Redemption were all in theatres at the same time, all were epic films, true classics. Even the less popular ones like The River Wild were pretty good and Jason’s Lyric was a great romance film.

It’s no wonder I don’t enjoy many films that come out these days, they mostly suck compared to the ones that I liked so much in my youth.

Not to mention, so much of what passes for "comedic films" today, is so stupidly exaggerated & so disingenuous.

All the Will Farrell / Steve Carrell / Seth Rogen excuses for films.

Quote: (06-25-2018 01:40 PM)Mage Wrote:  

^ If I were superman I would put all fat female comedians on the moon

edit: no I wouldn't - that could cause our planet to spin off orbit.

Should fling them into the sun, but only one at a time since the blubber might cause a solar event that would kill us all!

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Comedy is connected to stand-up which is connected to current social life, social justice and PC.

Rollo Tomassi mentioned that most current comedy specials are political sermons sprinkled with humor - this Aziz guy, Amy Schumer - even old goldies like Dave Chappelle - they gotta add that Whitey-, Western- and Trump-bashing in it or it's not comedy. They gotta berate men as well in many instances blasting feminism.

Movies like American Pie would not have been made today - heck even Anchorman would not be green-lit anymore. Funny that they mention 2013 when that was the time Social Justice got into full-retard mode. Then you add Trump to it and they are into double-retard mode.

You know why the communist regimes were not known for their comedy? Because most of their true comedy criticized the madness of the communist regime, since it was the most pressing concern. There are countless Youtube channels which make fun of Social Justice warriors like Francesca Ramsey and her MTV "White People" crap.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...msey+owned

The Radical Left is funny in itself, but it is not funny itself. That is why Pepe-memes are funny, but their marxist Black-Lives-Matter meming is not funny. Then you have the push claiming that all comedy must be banned that somewhere somehow might offend someone. Heck - by that metric you would have to ban Seinfeld.

I predict that comedy will die except in children's movies/cartoons where they can still score because so much effort goes into the project and children movies still make money.

Melissa McCarthy and Amy Schumer tanked their careers themselves by all this sexism/misogyny/feminism/anti-Trumpism statements. After a while only the radical left was left to go watch their crap - no man would want to go see a McCarthy movie and actually pay for it, because if he does not pay for it, then he is a woman-hater.

Ah. I......stilk wish Patrice was here.

Quote: (06-26-2018 02:37 PM)Simeon_Strangelight Wrote:  

Comedy is connected to stand-up which is connected to current social life, social justice and PC.

Rollo Tomassi mentioned that most current comedy specials are political sermons sprinkled with humor - this Aziz guy, Amy Schumer - even old goldies like Dave Chappelle - they gotta add that Whitey-, Western- and Trump-bashing in it or it's not comedy. They gotta berate men as well in many instances blasting feminism.

Movies like American Pie would not have been made today - heck even Anchorman would not be green-lit anymore. Funny that they mention 2013 when that was the time Social Justice got into full-retard mode. Then you add Trump to it and they are into double-retard mode.

You know why the communist regimes were not known for their comedy? Because most of their true comedy criticized the madness of the communist regime, since it was the most pressing concern. There are countless Youtube channels which make fun of Social Justice warriors like Francesca Ramsey and her MTV "White People" crap.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...msey+owned

The Radical Left is funny in itself, but it is not funny itself. That is why Pepe-memes are funny, but their marxist Black-Lives-Matter meming is not funny. Then you have the push claiming that all comedy must be banned that somewhere somehow might offend someone. Heck - by that metric you would have to ban Seinfeld.

I predict that comedy will die except in children's movies/cartoons where they can still score because so much effort goes into the project and children movies still make money.

Melissa McCarthy and Amy Schumer tanked their careers themselves by all this sexism/misogyny/feminism/anti-Trumpism statements. After a while only the radical left was left to go watch their crap - no man would want to go see a McCarthy movie and actually pay for it, because if he does not pay for it, then he is a woman-hater.

Very true.

I was thinking about this today as I stopped for an orange juice in the local cinema beneath my office. Staring at the pic of Mila Jovovich for "Resident Evil: Menopause" - the chick is about 44/45 years old now. Staring at the poster for "Ocean's 8" with its cast of middle aged, stiff kneed Plastic Surgery mannequins looking like an advert for Madame Tussauds except that the dummies there could probably act better.

Its a closed shop now and we have to watch the same people glorify themselves continuously.

Add to that the cultural revolution zeitgeist that is turning everything to shit.

I was sitting there thinking "I haven't watched a film that made me laugh, a good comedy, in years.."
They're not even making bad comedies any more.
An average film that made me smile like "Crazy Stupid Love" : I would love to see a new film of that standard.
and for me animated gifs etc just don't cut it, they're not the same..

Its a real shame.

Quote: (06-25-2018 09:01 AM)Belgrano Wrote:  

The last time a movie made me laugh, I mean really laugh, was almost 20 years ago.
Since then it's only been the occasional smirk or amused chuckle from me.

I guess "animated GIFs on social media" have ruined me for Hollywood.
Goddamn internet.

Have you seen Ted 2?

Personally, I relish any rebuttal to standard Hollywood excretia.

Carry on.

The best type of comedy is one where they don't try to beat you over the head with "here, this is where you laugh" type of humor. It occurs organically. Woody Allen had a knack for it, though I don't even like his movies. The British do it well too.

In the last 10 years or so however we've witnessed the rise of "sarcasm comedy". It's mean-spirited, nihilistic, and vile. I'm thinking movies like Deadpool and Bridesmaids.

Add in black comedy that makes fun of gore ala Kick-Ass and the Kingsman series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRRMnYh-Vw

I think beyond a certian point you can OD on entertainment and the net result is indeed a form of nihilism or desensitization.

Everything about the entire human experience starts to feel like a trope because we've all seen it before on TV or the movies, therefore nothing feels precious anymore about being alive and you're left with nothing to do but mock and satirize and deconstruct it.

And who is likely to be desensitized before anyone else? The people who MAKE the movies, since they eat and breathe it even more than the usual couch potato.

Quote: (06-27-2018 08:05 AM)TigerMandingo Wrote:  

The best type of comedy is one where they don't try to beat you over the head with "here, this is where you laugh" type of humor. It occurs organically. Woody Allen had a knack for it, though I don't even like his movies. The British do it well too.

In the last 10 years or so however we've witnessed the rise of "sarcasm comedy". It's mean-spirited, nihilistic, and vile. I'm thinking movies like Deadpool and Bridesmaids.

Speaking of British, I think Edgar Wright makes very entertaining films that have one purpose only and that is to entertain (a strangely absent thing in films nowadays), and have a lot of different layers. The following feels like something that happens for real all the time:

Other good clips:

My and brother I would always have Shaun of the Dead when we had people over and would find new things to laugh at. They're great easy watching, but have great tension which imo is what great comedy (and game) is all about.

Quote: (06-25-2018 06:50 AM)SlickyBoy Wrote:  

They didn't quite reach the epiphany but they're close. Hollywood is realizing that modern comedy sucks. They are blaming it on Youtube and Netflix, but I suspect the problem runs much deeper - their political BS and hackneyed usual safe subjects just are not delivering on the laughs:

Part of comedy is breaking down taboos and social morays. 20 years ago all those taboos and what is considered polite behavior was determined by conservative tradition. Some of the best comedies I've ever seen made fat jokes, gay jokes, transvestite jokes, ... or like Chapelle they lampooned the idea of race.

Today the taboos and social morays are defined by Liberals and the only comedians allowed to work are the ones that put forth mediocre humor that fits their narrative. Which means they cannot break the taboos of liberalism... they cannot lampoon the sacred cows of liberalism.

I watched the new Chapelle special. His funniest moment is when he is mocking the transvestite movement... and how liberals bend over backwards for this tiny group. His most daring moment is when he talked about Bill Cosby and how to look at a man who produced great things in his life, but also raped a few women. Liberals lost their shit hearing that and wanted it banned... because what he says has truth.

My point is that comedy often must offend in order to be comedy, and a liberal culture where offending people isn't allowed is essentially banning a huge chunk of comedy.

If you guys have not watched Portlandia on Netflix... Do it! I've never seen a show do such a good job of skewering Soy Boys and Feminists. The Lesbian book store skit is so true and so funny I nearly peed myself. That Lesbian book store actually exists in Portland. They don't make this shit up, they just film it.

Quote: (06-27-2018 06:02 PM)EndsExpect Wrote:  

If you guys have not watched Portlandia on Netflix... Do it! I've never seen a show do such a good job of skewering Soy Boys and Feminists. The Lesbian book store skit is so true and so funny I nearly peed myself. That Lesbian book store actually exists in Portland. They don't make this shit up, they just film it.

I'm very surprised; thought Portlandia was the epitome of PC comedy, given the lefty soy types to whom it's catered. Then again, NJ Guidos loved Andrew Dice Clay when he made fun of them, as did trailer trash types when Waynes World came out parodying their musical tastes. Ditto for Jeff Foxworthy and rednecks. Guess it is all how it's done.

Everybody I know thinks that Deadpool is the peak of comedy.

I just think its cheap and lazy.

Its like Kung fu supposedly moving from tough outlaws who could actually kill animals like Bulls with their bare hands to "flowery fists and embroidery kicks" performed on stage in velvet pyjamas.

Everybody backslaps each other over how great they are. They're not even aware of the higher standards that remain beyond their reach.

This reminds me of something - your comments towards me - hehe. You have obviously learned from them.

Never mind - would still meet up for beer, worst case we take it out into the street.

Quote: (06-28-2018 02:00 AM)Bienvenuto Wrote:  

Everybody I know thinks that Deadpool is the peak of comedy.

Deadpool in comic book form, maybe.
As a movie... Personally (and in hindsight) I think it’s actually ”Van Wilder: The Mercenary Years”.
Hats off to Reynolds for getting it greenlit, though. Just don’t fuck it up.

“As long as you are going to be thinking anyway, think big.” - Donald J. Trump

"I don't get all the women I want, I get all the women who want me." - David Lee Roth

Quote: (06-27-2018 06:07 PM)SlickyBoy Wrote:  

I'm very surprised; thought Portlandia was the epitome of PC comedy, given the lefty soy types to whom it's catered. Then again, NJ Guidos loved Andrew Dice Clay when he made fun of them, as did trailer trash types when Waynes World came out parodying their musical tastes. Ditto for Jeff Foxworthy and rednecks. Guess it is all how it's done.

You have to understand that the people making Portlandia are in fact very lefty, so it's very tongue in cheek.

However, it's all based on truth. It's shit hipster douches actually do in Portland. If you are left wing and watch the show you laugh at your own hyperdouche tendencies. If you are right wing and watch the show... it comes off like a roast of liberal people. So, perspective matters.

Regarding Deadpool. I hate to say it, but that is actually my sense of humor. I'm a touch more tactful than Deadpool, but he pretty much says similar things to me. I can't think of any other movie that displays this type of humor.