rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best deleted scenes/outakes in movies

I was (re)watching Aliens the other day for the first time in a long while, a film I literally saw 100+ times as a kid/teenager. (They don`t make`em like that anymore unfortunately.) Anyway, as great as this film is, perhaps the coolest scene filmed was actually skipped from the original cut. It`s a scene right between when the marines and Ripley etc. seek refuge in the colony base, barricading the facility, and the Aliens finding a way in, setting up the finale of this masterpiece by James Cameron. To bad it was skipped as it really adds to the excitement even though it`s a short sequence, and would have made a great film even greater.

What other scenes should have been kept in the original versions of classic/great films?

We will stomp to the top with the wind in our teeth.

George L. Mallory

Love this one from I Am Legend

I was thinking of the sentry guns scene when I read the thread title. Aliens extended is better than the theatrical cut for sure, although the theatrical is great as it is.

I also liked the extra bits in Avatar as they helped plug some ambiguity/plot-holes and it's a shame the extended cut isn't available in blu-ray 3D after all this time.

Army of Darkness

As far as outtakes, for me nothing tops the ones from the Cannonball Run:

“These bleeds ?”

Quote:Darkwing Buck Wrote:  
A 5 in your bed is worth more than a 9 in your head.

Forgot this one, really great scene.

George L. Mallory

Another James Cameron film.
The alternative ending to Terminator 2.

I wouldn't say this was the ending I wanted, compared to the "open road, uncertain but hopeful future" one we got.

But given how the series fell to complete shit in retrospect, I think there was merit to going with this one. It ended the series basically with a capstone. A finite two part story with a satisfying ending (the original ending was that as well), but perhaps the finality of it would have discouraged Hollywood from saying we need another and Cameron selling the rights to the series.

Star Trek Nemesis wasn't a good movie, and this deleted scene would've at least added some additional character development, making the movie better overall.
I like the dialogue here, the ruminations of an old man I guess.

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

Quote: (07-30-2018 08:11 PM)spokepoker Wrote:  

Star Trek Nemesis wasn't a good movie, and this deleted scene would've at least added some additional character development, making the movie better overall.
I like the dialogue here, the ruminations of an old man I guess.

Not at all, this is why I started the thread. Weird that they couldn`t solve Picard`s male pattern baldness btw, when they had teleportation, holodecks and light speed space flight.

George L. Mallory

I've heard Stanley Kubrick always had hours and hours of outtakes and footage on the cutting room floor for all his movies.

I'd LOVE to be able to see that for Eyes Wide Shut, Clockwork, etc

I love it when studios don't care and will let the people involved dress a film/series down on a commentary...cut them down.

Back when films weren't part of a franchise, I think this was lot easier you didn't have a future story to protect.

I think the film is great, but this is hilarious:

The Cocoon scene in the original "Alien."

The outtakes from Spinal Tap. There's one which I think was not in the film because it involved smoking marijuana. That was my favourite and maybe the funniest scene in the whole film. If anyone's interested I'll link to it on youtube.

"Especially Roosh offers really good perspectives. But like MW said, at the end of the day, is he one of us?"

- Reciproke, posted on the Roosh V Forum.

^^ Bruno Kirby in his underwear. Great scene.

RPUK -- What about the deleted scene where David St. Hubbins gets outplayed by Nigel's replacement, "Ricky from San Francisco," who seems to have a too-familiar relationship with Jeanine?

I spent years (no joke) trying to identify the actor who played "Ricky" in this rarely-seen scene. Rob Reiner himself, as well as the casting director, replied to my inquiries, and could not remember the name of the guitarist who played Ricky.

Despite his name being clearly posted in the title of this clip, I spent years obsessively trying to identify this guy.

It was worth it when I finally figured out who he was, because it had haunted me for years as a Spinal Tap obsessive.

Not from a movie. This deleted scene from the UK TV series "Green Wing" always cracks me up. It is like an assault on the professionalism of the actress in the scene. The other actor is trying to crack her up, and the director is refusing to say 'cut,' so she is left out hanging in the wind, trying, failing, not to laugh. A kind of comedy torture/frame war. You can see her slowly lose control of her emotions.

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

The Directors cut ending of The Butterfly Effect is right up there for mine, fits the whole theme of the movie so much better and makes the movie a lot better in general than the Hollywood ending.

All the scenes added to the extended versions of the LotR trilogy also gets my tick as they're just better.

All the original Star Wars cuts as opposed to the morphed versions to try and fit in the later prequel also probably qualify for this, although not sure technically as they were the original scenes that got cut from future versions!

I liked most of King Arthur with Clive Owen until the queer sappy wedding. This alternative ending makes it so much better for me.

"Stop playing by 1950's rules when everyone else is playing by 1984."
- Leonard D Neubache

In T2, the dream sequence with Kyle Reese.

Quote: (08-02-2018 10:34 PM)Mess O. Wrote:  

In T2, the dream sequence with Kyle Reese.

These scenes were cut in the original because it makes the film feel very tight and the admission by one of the police officers that Kyle Reese's interview story is too watertight and sincere is very subtle in the cut and not said out loud out like here. Including it is reducing their sense of isolation and the audience's fear for them, but man some of them are really good, even the forest scene could come almost across as hammy, but its tragic as you could get when you think about it, in real life it could have broken your mind..It's almost like travelling to another planet.

Love the scenes between the two detectives, great acting and foreboding.

You see the ideas he was setting up for in a sequel, even a decade earlier.

Yeah, in the case of T1, I feel it was prudent that those scenes didn't make it, even as good as they are, seeing as the pacing of the finished film strikes me as ideal. See, in the final version, you can see, just by Traxler's demeanor, that he might be taking Reese's story seriously. He intently listens, but the blatant disclosure of his acknowledgement of the truth does not emerge.

Quote: (08-02-2018 11:40 PM)Mess O. Wrote:  

Yeah, in the case of T1, I feel it was prudent that those scenes didn't make it, even as good as they are, seeing as the pacing of the finished film strikes me as ideal. See, in the final version, you can see, just by Traxler's demeanor, that he might be taking Reese's story seriously. He intently listens, but the blatant disclosure of his acknowledgement of the truth does not emerge.

I agree that the film is perfect as it is with the original cut. Also it`s worth noting that the whole police station sequence, that could otherwise have been somewhat boring, stands out mostly due to great acting (casting) by Lance Henriksen and Paul Winfield. Something that film-makers today should take a lesson from. James Cameron of course is a perfectionist to the extreme, and doesn`s cut any corners. He knows the value of strong characters, even in supporting roles.

George L. Mallory

This was cut from the theatrical and shouldn't have been, it set up the attachment for the surrogate daughter plotline, I like the acting of Burke here, this scene also became the basis for the Alien: Isolation which is set between the first and second film. (And deserves to be canon, better than anything to come out of that universe since 1986, almost sick with tension).

According to director Paul Thomas Anderson's commentary track, this deleted scene was the one out of the handful of deleted scenes that Anderson kept with the film until he submitted the theatrical cut. This scene also explains why Dirk's Corvette is trashed later on in the film, which in the theatrical cut, is simply not explained.

Another reason this scene was ultimately cut, was that according to Paul Thomas Anderson, alot of the character's in Boogie Nights are put thru the ringer during the 2nd half of the film. The idea that Becky Barnett, is last seen at her wedding with a smile on her face, was something he ultimately felt was the right way to go for her arc.