rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Need Some Direction (Chronic Unemployment)

I'll try to keep this short. I graduated with a BA in Psych (stupid I know I made the choice when I was 17 lol and i'm 27 now). I have tons of sales experience both professional and indirectly through game but I hate sales.

My dream was always to do music which i'm still pursuing but hasn't been very rewarding. I've done dozens of open mics, shows and written thousands of songs. People enjoy them but it's hard to get enough people out for a show reliably to make it profitable thus far. I've also done busking but it's cold in my city and the metro needs a license which is hard to get.

I got hit with some health problems last year which I'm still recovering from but doing much better I oscillate at like 80-90% before I had this and no gueranttee it will get 100% but there's a good chance I think.

The good thing is i'm not in debt. My dad is a european immigrant and came here had his own business and makes passive income. it's not a lot but it's been able to make me not have a lot of pressure cuz he begrudgingly helps me out. He obviously wants me to get a good career though, more so as a status and self-esteem thing and wants music to just be a hobby unless of course it pops off which is totally reasonable.

Cuz of this though I'm used to have shitloads of free time to which i'm always researching ways to make money that doesn't totally suck and experimenting entrepreneurial ventures. Working and my music and studying game. I'm at 450+ lays cuz of all the free time I've had which is awesome but sucks that I haven't been able to do the whole package. I think having my basic needs met has sorta stifled me in that all my options for work SUCK compared to just scraping by and being able to have total freedom to do whatever I want.

Any ideas to get out of this slump? I feel like the solution is to find something that's motivating and BETTER than my lifestyle but those things are few and far between.

Doing a job I dislike and eat up my time and energy isn't very super motivating when I already have a roof over my head and food is not a problem but I also really want to experience more travel and be able to buy my own property and just grow wealth in general etc.

Also the jobs i'm getting offered cuz I don't have enough in demand skills are pretty gross. seasonal work, temp jobs, low wages etc.

I worked door to door which actually got good money but they were running me down energy wise 6 days a week in a fucking cold east coast North American city is not a long term solution.

Let me know if there's anything additional I might need to add to give u an idea of me or if u have any ideas to move forward.

The big question that needs to be asked is "Do want money or to follow your dream?" Very hard to do both because your dreams require both Time and Money. However, if you want a job to streamline your job prospects, you may want to consider moving.

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

Most of the states people never think about for employment are the states most people don't want to live in.

Although I'll be frank, it sounds like you aren't desperate enough to want to make money your priority.

Quote: (05-10-2018 02:03 PM)PolymathGuru Wrote:  

The big question that needs to be asked is "Do want money or to follow your dream?" Very hard to do both because your dreams require both Time and Money. However, if you want a job to streamline your job prospects, you may want to consider moving.

Most of the states people never think about for employment are the states most people don't want to live in.

Although I'll be frank, it sounds like you aren't desperate enough to want to make money your priority.

I live in Canada by the way, haven't figured out how to change it from the US. I put US cuz I figured it would be more anonymous at 10x the population. I'd imagine the story is similar though at a less populated city.

Dude while I read your post OP... the word "Youtube" kept on flashing in my head! As being extremely artistic... I truly doubt an office job will excite you ever... and keep you going in the long run! By getting laid silly... you obviously know how to present yourself... especially by getting Action in Canada. There's a Youtube program called "Jumpcut academy that's run by a Marketer named Kong. As someone who'll be jumping on the Youtube scene myself... his program looks like the bomb for a newbie. Think about it! You're good in Game + You have humongous sale experience. If your music's moderately good... this looks like a great recipe for success to me!

Quote: (05-10-2018 04:24 PM)Captain Gh Wrote:  

Dude while I read your post OP... the word "Youtube" kept on flashing in my head! As being extremely artistic... I truly doubt an office job will excite you ever... and keep you going in the long run! By getting laid silly... you obviously know how to present yourself... especially by getting Action in Canada. There's a Youtube program called "Jumpcut academy that's run by a Marketer named Kong. As someone who'll be jumping on the Youtube scene myself... his program looks like the bomb for a newbie. Think about it! You're good in Game + You have humongous sale experience. If your music's moderately good... this looks like a great recipe for success to me!

yeah i fucked up by getting into youtube game late and was relatively big on soundcloud which is a dieing platform. I know of the program I'll check it out with more depth thank you.

youtube seems to have gotten harder to make money from with changing algorithms and stuff

also I love advice from guys who are good in game like Kong cuz I feel like a lot of people get their success in order to get women whereas someone who already had success with women who later attained success is something that I resonate with more.

Quote: (05-10-2018 03:46 PM)Jack Gignac Wrote:  

I live in Canada by the way, haven't figured out how to change it from the US. I put US cuz I figured it would be more anonymous at 10x the population. I'd imagine the story is similar though at a less populated city.

You could also focus on becoming an expert of some sort. If you live in Canada, why not do travel research about Canada? Most people don't have time to travel or do not have enough money to actually travel. It may not sound sexy on the surface until you realize you probably have no idea how big the market it is. You have to help people travel the world through your eyes. As you start to build an audience, you can slowly transition to platforms such as Patreon.

Quote: (05-11-2018 03:39 PM)PolymathGuru Wrote:  

You could also focus on becoming an expert of some sort. If you live in Canada, why not do travel research about Canada? Most people don't have time to travel or do not have enough money to actually travel. It may not sound sexy on the surface until you realize you probably have no idea how big the market it is. You have to help people travel the world through your eyes. As you start to build an audience, you can slowly transition to platforms such as Patreon.

so you mean like give travel tips on where to go in Canada etc. via youtube? restaurants clubs bars etc. like a data sheet in video format or what not or a travel blog? and if that picks up do the same with other places I go...

seems fun and doable question is will it pop off. seems like all the stuff is oversaturated unless got a very good angle or unfair advantage.

If you're looking to make money and not work an office job, get into a Trade of some kind or another. Was just chatting with a friend who's going through an electrician apprenticeship, and he told me there are TONS of jobs opening up in that field. I've heard the same for plumbers, auto-mechanics and specialized welders. Those are all guaranteed income -- just requires additional training and certification.

thread-9826.html
If you want to travel more, and you are up in Canada, definitely look into Oil Industry-related jobs. They pay through the roof, and are 3-months on/3-months off. You can earn enough money in a short span of time to go-anywhere / do-anything for 6-months out of the year.

One last possibility (though it's not as lucrative as these other options) if your heart is set on music is to become a sound recording engineer. I had a roommate a while back who was a drummer, only wanted to be a musician, and was working through a trade-school program as a sound engineer at a record company. But he's never going to be rich off of that job.

Look, you sound like a fucking asshole. You're living in your dad's house and eating the food he pays for while just running around chasing pussy (450 notches is extreme). You're holding onto some pipe dream of playing music for a living and don't want to do any honest work because you find it "gross". But those jobs aren't gross. What's gross is being a grown ass man pushing 30 who's sponging off his father. I don't write this post to hate on you. But this is tough love you need to hear. You need to grow up and take responsibility for yourself.

I would advise you to suck it up and get yourself into a sales job. It doesn't matter if you don't like it. Work is to make money, and if you've managed to rack up 450 notches by 27 you obviously have sufficient charisma and social intelligence to be good at sales. So do it.

You aren't going to be a famous musician. You aren't going to get discovered on YouTube and make millions of dollars. It's time to grow up and put that on the back burner. You're a grown man and first and foremost you have a responsibility to carry your own weight. You're way, way too comfortable with laying around and living off your dad's hard-earned success. It's a shameful situation.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Quote: (05-10-2018 11:50 AM)Jack Gignac Wrote:  

I have tons of sales experience both professional and indirectly through game but I hate sales.

Everything is sales.

Quote: (05-13-2018 03:23 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I have tons of sales experience both professional and indirectly through game but I hate sales.

Everything is sales.

In other words, sales is the lifeblood of any business. Whether you like it or not. Can’t take credit for those words because I heard it from a friend.

And may I suggest a reason why you seem averse to sales?

Could it be that your sales experience was mostly about selling stuff you don’t believe in, and/or using game principles to trick people into buying shit they don’t really need?

If that’s the case, then it’s no wonder you hate it.

Next time you go into sales, try to frame it this way: you are offering something of value to people who truly need it. You’re not deceiving anyone and you’re not selling snake oil. You’re informing people how they can benefit from this product or that service. If done right (and if you’ve banged 450 women you should know how to do it right), the sale becomes an afterthought.

Quote: (05-11-2018 09:07 PM)Jack Gignac Wrote:  

Quote: (05-11-2018 03:39 PM)PolymathGuru Wrote:  

so you mean like give travel tips on where to go in Canada etc. via youtube? restaurants clubs bars etc. like a data sheet in video format or what not or a travel blog? and if that picks up do the same with other places I go...

seems fun and doable question is will it pop off. seems like all the stuff is oversaturated unless got a very good angle or unfair advantage.

From what I can tell, you may find yourself looking to pull off a Roosh. Most people talk about hating their 9 to 5 jobs but the reality people could be doing other things with their time. Most people just aren't willing to sacrifice the present for the future, instead sacrificing the future for the present. Most people take the route with more security. All you have to do is ask this question.
"You have two choices. You can either make $61,000(CAD) for the next 30 years or maybe make $4,000,000(CAD) within the next 5 years but you aren't allowed to have any additional income for yourself and that $4,000,000 isn't guaranteed. In addition, have to spend those next 30 years working 40 hours a week while that $4,000,000 lump sum you have to work 100 hours a week. Which pathway do you take?"

Consider the following facts.
30 year job.
-Would make $1,830,000 within 30 years.
-You'll spend about 62,400 hours working within your lifetime
-Within 5 years of working, you'll make $312,000

5 year pathway
-You COULD make $4,000,000 but it isn't guaranteed
-You will need to work 26,000 hours within your lifetime
-Within 5 years of working, you have effectively made $800,000 a year

The first describes the life of nearly 95% of people in the developed world. The latter describes something more closely related to what an entrepreneur has to do. Despite how good the numbers are on paper, very few can actually do what is demanded of the entrepreneur.

Also, everybody has to learn how to be a salesman, even employees. Consider any average to above average paying job has to go through an interview process. You have to sell yourself and how you are going to add value to company you never worked for.

Quote: (05-11-2018 09:07 PM)Jack Gignac Wrote:  

On the surface it sounds fun and doable. People forget the time and effort put in.

You should also take a look into your tax code what things you can get away with to make your business doable. It is far easier to advise an american than a Canadian on this due to the fact that there are all sorts clever and tricks and rules to take advantage of and a lot of this information is easily searchable.

Most people go home anyways to watch shitty netflix movies. Why not watch your videos on for free? For the record, you never have to worry about competing with other youtubers for market space. You'll never get ahead with that line of thinking. You are competing against boredom. The internet just allows you to carve out a niche.

I'll say this. I'm in sales. Yes, it can be stressful, like it is now for me, but you need to get over it.

You sound like you want an easy way out and get into "entrepreneurial" ventures or music to make a quick buck. Guess what? That shit also involves SALES and in a way even more extreme than a sales "job." Another words, building a business is hard work whether it's your business or music venture. Same concept.

My advice: get off your lazy ass, grow up, get a job, save money and when you have experience and more drive to succeed, then think about being an entrepreneur. As an investor, if I read your post, I would never invest in your business.

Also, 450 lays? Curious what period this was or is this a lifetime achievement?

TLDR: Get your shit together or be poor.

Scorpion laying down some tough love!

I think it is inexcusable for someone your age to suffer from chronic unemployment while chasing a dream, if you were that dedicated you could have had your job during the weekdays and put in the time to pursue your dream on the weekends or whenever you had free time.

Even then, how can you suffer from chronic unemployment like this? You should have at least found some work in the service industry to get you by while trying to chase a dream, I mean FFS even aspiring actors and musicians work as waiters and bartenders during that time. You could have started driving for Lyft if it was that bad, this is just inexcusable and nothing personal OP but you seem to embody the entitled naive millennial I keep hearing so much about.

First of all, get a job, at this point start driving for Lyft or Uber to make some money, anything because you are literally destroying your future without even realizing it. I would think someone that reads this forum would know better.

I also live in Canada and can sympathize with the sky high unemployment problem here (which will NEVER go away by the way since the glut of boomers here will, always without fail, vote in socialists whose primary reason for existence is to redistribute Other People's Money).

Years ago I began to put my writing online with Amazon, Smashwords, Kobo, etc., all the while everyone was telling me to quit writing altogether. Fiction, non-fiction, didn't matter. It's a fool's errand, they said. All the usual deadbeats chimed in, "You can't make money writing", "You will never buy a house with that," and "Your writing sucks, dude. Give up already."

All I can say is that I am glad I did not listen to them. Well, that and Ray Bradbury steered me straight.

You seriously need to focus on what makes you money FIRST, so you have that security income coming in FIRST and THEN go and follow your 'dream'. For me it was writing fiction. Writing fiction is a BRUTALLY competitive market and very difficult to break into. I had to know reader expectations (which I did not), tropes, pacing, character voice, world building, and... how to write a damn good story.

So I chose non-fiction figuring I could write ten good books say in the neighborhood of 20,000 words each and am now making much more than those naysayers who urged me to quit. Did I enjoy writing non-fiction? Hells no. The two are a universe apart and completely different mindsets both in enjoyment and research.

But... I can now write fiction without worrying about how I am going to pay the bills. This was all due to focusing on what sells FIRST. Following trends, keyword research, networking with other successful authors.

First sales, THEN your dream. That's what worked for me, anyway.

Spoiled rich kid syndrome ... move out and pay your own bills and you won't even have time to think about all this shit

thanks for all the replies.

what I think I'm gunna do is keep up my scumbag lifestyle for may-august cuz I get laid so easily during these months and I wanna enjoy the teen poon while I still can.

then in sept-october grind it out in sales or my best option until next may and then I'll have a good track record and will be able to dial down hours / ask for part time for the next may-august period and then also have income saved up to check out the countries I really wanna see.

I slightly disagree that u can do anything entrepreneurial / creative while working a job. there are exceptions but the people I know that pulled it off where often living off girlfriends / student loans / welfare, another guy I knew was working on his business while on work and then after got fired started his business on unemployment. the extra time gives you so much more time to experiment and try combinations and research. I wouldn't say i'm lazy or looking for get rich quick schemes cuz I've been hacking at it for many years and I've excelled in other fields so I know all about discipline / learning from mentors / experimenation / risk taking etc.. very few people have the energy to work an additional 40 hours after they work a 40 hour work week and that would often degrade your health. most people are barely operating 100% at 40 hours a week.

for example in game when i first started off it took me a lot more time to get a lay cuz I didn't have the proper strategy. now that I have better strategy / knowledge etc. because I studied and experimented I get results 100x faster. I'd imagine it's the same with money.

the thing I hate about working for someone is they often are unethical and want you to lie to make a sale. they overwork you. manipulativeness. politically correct work places etc. sales for myself is completely different and I don't mind it.

You should read Cobra's advice again. It is very good.

Sales only feels the way that you describe in your last sentence when you are selling a product that you don't believe in. I remember when I was 18 I would walk around selling Cutco knives and I felt the exact same way as you describe at the end. Why? In hindsight I realize that it was because I knew nothing about knives and had zero fucking interest in anything to do with them.

My advice is to do your research in your free time, find a product that you ENJOY selling, and then go to the company and give them a genuine pitch as to why you'd be a good person to sell for them. Given that you've fucked 450+ girls, you clearly know how to communicate with people really well. Then after a few months on the job, see how you feel. If you pick the right product, I bet that you will feel much different.

Also, are you in a big city (ie: Toronto, Montreal, etc) or in a smaller one? If your city is smaller than ~400-500k people, it may be time for you to move after getting some savings. There's a reason most younger people move to big cities - there are far more opportunities to make $. Its not a requirement but it helps.

Quote: (05-13-2018 08:16 PM)Jack Gignac Wrote:  

what I think I'm gunna do is keep up my scumbag lifestyle for may-august cuz I get laid so easily during these months and I wanna enjoy the teen poon while I still can.

then in sept-october grind it out in sales or my best option until next may and then I'll have a good track record and will be able to dial down hours / ask for part time for the next may-august period and then also have income saved up to check out the countries I really wanna see.

I slightly disagree that u can do anything entrepreneurial / creative while working a job. there are exceptions but the people I know that pulled it off where often living off girlfriends / student loans / welfare, another guy I knew was working on his business while on work and then after got fired started his business on unemployment. the extra time gives you so much more time to experiment and try combinations and research. I wouldn't say i'm lazy or looking for get rich quick schemes cuz I've been hacking at it for many years and I've excelled in other fields so I know all about discipline / learning from mentors / experimenation / risk taking etc.. very few people have the energy to work an additional 40 hours after they work a 40 hour work week and that would often degrade your health. most people are barely operating 100% at 40 hours a week.

for example in game when i first started off it took me a lot more time to get a lay cuz I didn't have the proper strategy. now that I have better strategy / knowledge etc. because I studied and experimented I get results 100x faster. I'd imagine it's the same with money.

the thing I hate about working for someone is they often are unethical and want you to lie to make a sale. they overwork you. manipulativeness. politically correct work places etc. sales for myself is completely different and I don't mind it.

Well your 20's is dedicated to trying to figure out shit because as you get older, you start to get locked in place.

You probably aren't going to dodge the 40 hour work efforts because most things cost money. But you need to get a little more creative. I'll call this the Indian way of approaching work after observing this from how people from the Indian subcontinent behave in work and business.

1) Work a job where you maximize your income while minimizing your work effort- If you ever worked a job close to minimum wage where a foreign Indian has worked, you know what I am talking about. They are only there to pick up a pay check and go home. They'll have 1000 excuses why they can't do what you asked of them and adamantly defend that position. At the same time, they'll be able to work 70 hours a week. You may not be able to pull that off but you can work "lazy" jobs which absolve a lot of responsibility. Consider jobs like a gas station attendant, a librarian or a security guard. You might be able to sit on your lazy ass and blog all day. The advantage to doing this is you are doing compound work. Getting paid to show up and invest your efforts elsewhere.

2) Count your pennies- I've seen a lot of Indians spend money on things which saving money ended up being a waste but trying to emulate that effort of avoiding to spend money like the plague has something to be admired for. The only reasons why an Indian will spend money is because they have to, because they are spending it on their children or they are spending it on goodwill efforts. These goodwill efforts can translate to business connections and opportunities. While goodwill efforts are generally wasted on younger people(because they don't appreciate it or think it is a sign of a nice guy(aka weakness)), you should look into older people and try to show what you can offer.

3)Pipeline your businesses together- Some of these guys will have multiple businesses. They may for example own an engineering firm in India to get some cheap calculations done while have the American business for expertise engineers and the sales front. You might also own a business reselling phone chargers while owning a convenience store to distribute your product.

is there any way to work in the music industry that pays reliably? Try to find a compromise between sales and music? I tend to hate teaching very young children, but I always had a knack for teaching, so I found a position that allows me to work with older kids. That way I can get paid to do something I'm good at without wanting to butcher everyone around.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

My dad is a european immigrant and came here had his own business and makes passive income.

I don't get why you don't just ask your dad how to replicate his business model, maybe expand the family business?

OP, I've been following this thread since it began and have been scarcely been able to resist the urge to tell you to grow up and accept the fact that not everyone gets to do their dream job.

However, since you've communicated with the other forum members like an adult thus far, I'll weigh in without going full asshole.

There's an old, stupid saying "you've got to kiss a few frogs before you can find your princess." Mostly this Disneyesque expression is used to justify women's terrible dating choices, but it does apply to many folks career tracks.

Virtually anyone earning a living from the finer arts and doing so on their own terms had to work there ass off to get there. Whether they did so by building a brand (perhaps by constantly touring as a band or developing a strong YouTube following), I'm sure it was never easy. Others have built a very strong skillset in an industry of their choice to the point where they can dictate their own terms for how, when and with whom they work. This also did not happen overnight for them.

There are also no doubt some people who gave up on their dreams of being a musician and artist and picked a more reliable job. No doubt some of those people would have been successful if they'd refused to give up on their dreams, but it isn't hard to suspect that most made the smart choice and avoided a life of poverty due to their decision to reduce the love of their life to a frequently enjoy hobby or side gig.

No one can tell you whether to choose your dream or accept that not everyone can make a living as a musician. That's a choice for you to make.

However, you aren't going to get much empathy from me (and a lot of other people) if you end up an impoverished failure because you refused to work jobs that you didn't consider fun enough.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (05-13-2018 08:16 PM)Jack Gignac Wrote:  

You know how people write books on the rich attitude, how rich people think, what successful people do differently, etc.? Useful right?

Here is an expose on how poor people think. I had several years of casual conversations with homeless people who used to frequent a coffee shop I used to go to and the attitudes reflected here are so reminiscent of the homeless man's excuse making as to be eerie.

These are things I used to hear from the homeless, lets play a little game and compare them to the OP story:

- Not a single specific thing said in the entire thread about what the OP has done, just that he grinds in sales. The homeless always said that they had worked hard but been dealt a bad hand.

- Whiny bitch attitude about how everything is too hard, work is too hard, too many hours, a ready made complaint for every possible way out. The homeless always have a ready made complaint, even sophisticated ones explained for every challenge.

- Not listening to advice. Homeless will always tell you why your advice does not apply even if they asked for it.

- Needs a state welfare crutch or it will be too hard to be able to start a business (unemployment story). Homeless just need a state government program to get them a house a car and a business then everything would be fine.

- Self described scumbag.

- Contradictions: talks about how hard the grind has been in a title called chronic unemployment. Homeless stories are full of contradictions.

- Only has a roof over his head when provided by someone else, and eats because someone else gives him money.

- He gets offered jobs but none are good enough for him (seasonal etc.)

OP:
I'm pointing these things out because you asked for help. Your "solution" you proposed of "waiting" 3 months to do anything is just more of the same. You think because this forum is game related that we will support your decision because you self proclaim that during this time you can get laid? You are not learning how to do life and be productive, but you are learning low level women style manipulation. (Trying to distract us from your choice to remain a lazy bum because your can get laid during that time) Where do you think that will take you? It's just another excuse not to do anything.

You are a grown man and you have no business living with your Dad, other than perhaps a temporary emergency. You just declared you will extend this 3 more months because you can still get girls that match your maturity level?

I somehow doubt your story about women anyway. Decent women will smell from a long way away the malaise of a grown man who doesn't work, just like the smell of the guy living under a bridge.

Maybe your Dad doesn't throw you out because he knows you would be... homeless.

Want a real solution, watch this -

I'm a musician and I DJ (even make some money at it) but this is not a field to go all in on because most fail. I always have at least a part time job or clients who call me as a handyman.

Just get any job that pays whatever your minimum is (I'll do real basic shit I enjoy like fixing furniture for around $20/hour and charge more the less I like the work.)

Get your shit together before your dad dies and stop using him (sounds like a good man) or you'll end up a homeless busker stepping around syringes and human shit on the way to your box in Portland.

That makes two references to homeless. OP - wake up call.