rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I "learned" Polish in a year - this is my guide

Hello guys, I lurk on this forum nearly everyday, but I only posted here twice, (actually 3 times, but it was the same post twice because I was copying and pasting the question into multiple forums - sorry again lol)

I wrote this super long and detailed post to give back to the community here, since I've learned a lot of great stuff from this forum, and want to enrich it further, (and since most of you guys love Poland.) One of my sources of income is working as "language learning related stuff" consultant with companies and "business men" in Europe, so this is something I am actually knowledgeable enough about to give honest advice.

My Background:(skip if you just want to read the "how to" part.) I'm from the USA and I'm a "polyglot" I put the word in parenthesis, because I would never actually call myself that, if people ask why I speak so many languages, or how I speak their language with no accent etc. I say I'm a linguist, (which is actually not true, but most people think that means you know a lot of languages.) I actually didn't even study anything language related in College. I speak 6 languages "fluently" and I've learned two of those languages, (as an adult,) to a level where people most of the time think I'm a native speaker. I've studied lots of other languages, and if I had to list the number of languages that I've had a 5minute + conversation with a native in, (not a teacher or tutor etc.) I would add about 5 more to those 6 languages that I speak fluently and use regularly.

So I'm gonna say the sad truth: learning languages takes lots of time, and the faster you learn the faster you forget - so all those random languages I "speed learned" in College etc. I "speed forgot." Keep this in mind when learning a new language. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

11 months ago I moved to Poland. I spent my first month in Łódź, then 6 weeks in the south of Poland living with a family that spoke no English, (I can elaborate on why and how this happened.) and then I moved to Warsaw. Before I came here I knew maybe 20 words, if that.

I'm going to talk about what YOU should do, and then tell you what I did. If I had to do it over again, I would do it a lit bit differently.

Step 1: LEARN THE ALPHABET and the SOUNDS of Polish
Learn how to read a word and pronounce it correctly. This is crucial. If you read a word wrong, and then remember it that way, when a Pole says it to you in conversation, you won't be able to understand them because your mental representation of how the word sounds doesn't align with the way it's being said. Listening comprehension is very difficult in Polish. If you had problems understanding Spanish, you're gonna have a bigger problem understanding spoken Polish. However, if you focus on the right things from the beginning, you won't have a problem down the road.

Here's what I mean, exactly: When you start with Babbel's program, (I'll talk about this later, BUT please use it from a laptop/desktop and not your phone,) use quality headphones - I can't stress this enough. Headphones of a decent quality are a must. Not earbuds, headphones. Listen to the word MULTIPLE TIMES. Try to copy the accent, play around with the sounds by putting your tongue and your jaw in a different position allowing the sound to vibrate in new parts of your mouth. Try to copy the way they speak, like you're mocking them. This is what babies do.

For the first 6 weeks it's more important that you really assimilate the sounds of the language into your brain. If you only learn 60% as many words as you would have had you not been such a stickler with the sounds and pronunciation, that's fine. You can know every word in the dictionary, but if you don't assimilate the sounds properly in the beginning you wont be able to understand rapid speech even if you could "fluently read" a hypothetical transcript of what was said.

some tips: When you see a new word written, try to always guess it's pronunciation, and then immediately check on http://www.forvo.com to see how differently you sound compared to a pole.

This is not so that you have a native accent, this is so that you understand speech. If you are able to mimic the accent that does not mean that you need to speak like that when talking to people, but when you're alone, and practicing, try to pronounce things as well as possible.

STEP 2 Buy a month long membership to Babbel (https://www.babbel.com/)
Their Polish course has a really really good beginner's program, everything past that is just flashcards, and are not worth the monthly membership. Do these lessons. This should take you anywhere from a month to 3 months depending on your intensity, however you need to spend at least 40 minutes 5 days a week. Not 200 minutes one day a week. That's not how languages work. It's like going to the gym, it needs to become a part of your routine. I always tell people 40 minutes because realistically most people spend 10 minutes logging on, getting their computer, peeing etc. and then only 20 minutes truly studying. You need 30 minutes with only Polish on your mind. If you're the kind of person who can sit down and get right into your workflow immediately, then do 30 minutes, it's your life brah.

I tried like 5 Polish courses and wasted lots of money. Just do Babbel. If you want something more, use the university of Pittsburgh's online Polish course, it's an absolutely perfectly crafted course. here's the link https://lektorek.org/lektorek/firstyear/lessons/
there's no audio, but try to hire a pole to record everything for you, it won't cost more than 50$ probably. I didn't do this, but it's a good idea.

some tips: Don't worry about understanding the theory and all the rules associated with the grammar. DO NOT FORCE YOURSELF TO STUDY GRAMMAR IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO!!!! I cannot stress this enough. You will reach a point in the future where you will want to learn the grammar rules, then learn them. If I tell you something, you wont remember it. But if you ask me for information and I tease you with bits and pieces of it and then finally give it to you, YOU WILL REMEMBER IT. Also, it's entirely possible to speak without using the cases. That's not my style at all, but I have met an American guy living here in Warsaw who says everything in the Nominative Case except if he says a sentence that he learned from someone/heard before, and he's lived and worked here for 11 years, and been in LTRs with Poles who don't speak English. This should NOT be your goal, girls always say he sounds like a child when he speaks, and they do not find it attractive because of that, but if you really just can't grasp the cases, "Przypadki" then don't worry, this guy is doing just fine, so you can do just fine also.

STEP 3a: Start using ANKI flashcard software, and native materials. Find a forum, or a facebook group, or use Kindle and read Harry Potter - it doesn't matter that much: and start reading and listening to things that interest you and most importantly - YOU LIKE TO TALK ABOUT

Take all of the new sentences, write them down in your little notebook. Use DIKI.PL and http://context.reverso.net/translation/ to look up words and expressions you don't understand. Slavs have their own way of saying things. Often, you'll read something and you'll know every word, but you won't have any idea what the sentence means. This is what "context reverso" is great for. Break down the new sentences or fragments of sentences, and try to make at least one similar sentence, (change a few words,) and truly understand how the sentence works. - not just the meaning, but WHY it has that meaning, how do the cases and the apostrophes, (apostrophes are actually pretty important to pay attention to when reading Polish,) make the sentence mean what it means. Learn how to change it, learn how to play with the langauge. This will make your brain more flexible and allow you to understand things more quickly and intuitively, which is necessary if you're going to have meaningful conversations.

THEN PUT THESE SENTENCES INTO ANKI - and hire someone to record all your sentences when you have like 500 cards. - I currently have a 80% recorded deck with 11,000 flashcards. I cannot overstate how crucial this was for overcoming the intermediate "plateau"

SOME TIPS: This is the most confusing stage, in the sense that you will feel like you have no direction and you will no longer be seeing noticeable improvement on a near daily basis. Trust me: keep grinding. It's like making filling up a bucket with sand, one grain of sand at a time, for 40 minutes a day. In the beginning you see the bucket start to fill with sand, and you can't see the bottom and you think, "I'm making progress!" but then after a while you barely notice a difference. You ARE MAKING PROGRESS - you just don't see it immediately at this stage, this is the reason that so many people stop at this level.

If your motivation becomes weak at this level - TAKE CLASSES I took classes for 4 months, 3 nights a week, and learned nothing in class that I couldn't do on my own, however it made me have to continue studying.

Also, I forgot to mention up above, use https://www.wiktionary.org to look up the different forms of the word; nouns have anywhere from 1-14 different forms depending on their case, and they can be different enough that recognizing them in their other cases is not easy enough that you can understand the new form quickly and automatically enough to understand it when someone is speaking quickly.

STEP 3b: USE iTALKI TO PRACTICE POLISH AT LEAST 2 HOURS A WEEK. I know people will say, "get a girlfriend to practice with" or "get friends to practice with" and obviously this is crucial, but friends and girlfriends aren't going to correct you when you make small mistakes. Polish is a tricky language in the sense that you can speak it super incorrectly and almost everyone understands. Also, in my experience, when you speak confidently and at a normal speed, people don't correct you because they feel awkward doing so. Would you correct you chinese co-worker every time he says something wrong? even if he asks you? the answer is no. It's tiring to grammar patrol someone. You need to pay someone for this. Go on iTalki and ask the teacher for "conversation classes, where we talk about random stuff, and you correct all of my mistakes, even the small ones, through the Skype messaging feature, and if I don't understand a correction or want an elaboration on why it was wrong, I will ask you." Try lessons with at least 3 teachers, even if you think you found "the one." Some teachers are better than others.

HOWEVER, having a social group that will speak with you only in Polish is absolutely amazing, especially if you pay attention and listen to the way the men speak. It's definitely better than iTalki, but if you don't have a teacher iron out all those mistakes, you're never going to speak correctly, and people will think your accent is cute, like a baby.

ALSO, unlike Spanish, Polish does not have many accents. There are differences, slight differences, mainly with word choice, in different parts of the country, but these differences, especially with people under 40, are very small, and in most cases Poles really can't identify where another Pole is from, especially if their both under 40. The father of the family I stayed with spoke with a very distinct sub-carpathian accent, in the sense that every word he said sounded different than the way it's said on TV, but he's almost 70, and most people his age, in his small village, (which is in the middle of nowhere,) don't have a very noticeable accent. I could, however, even with my rudimentary Polish at that time, understand him almost as easily as I understood everyone else. There are "other languages" in Poland, but don't worry about these. Even in Katowice, (this is a city in Silesia, they have their own language there, it's like half German half Polish,) riding on a tram sitting next to two old women speaking in Silesian, they speak Polish. I asked them a stupid question that I knew the answer to, because I was curious if these 80+ ladies spoke Polish, they responded in what was, (to my ears at the time,) perfect Polish, although with a slightly different intonation. To my knowledge, the only place where young people have an accent that's noticeable with nearly every word, is Białystok. Even that accent though, is easy to understand after a few minutes, it just sounds like their singing a bit more when they speak.

STEP 4:
keep doing step 3a and 3b until you die. If you're going to be alive for 50 more years then you might be able to master Polish by the time you die, but maybe not.

STEP 5:
CONSISTENCY IS KEY - DO NOT GET LAZY. It is like bodybuilding, if you take time off, you loose gains. If you speed learn, it is like taking steroids - you need to work extra hard when you stop speed learning to make sure you don't forget more than 20% of what you learned while speed learning.

If you feel fluent, or if you don't want to study anymore but you want to maintain your level in the language, use Polish 2 days a week. Try to do something that really requires concentration, the more intense the review, the shorter it needs to be. You can watch 3 hours of TV, or you can read and analyze a text for 30 minutes once a week, both will have a similar effect.

Great write-up. Will follow the advice and see if I can learn Polish.

Quote: (05-06-2018 10:38 AM)Ben Wrote:  

Great write-up. Will follow the advice and see if I can learn Polish.

It's been extremely rewarding. Honestly, out of all the countries I've been to where I speak the local language, Poles tend to be the happiest when I speak Polish.

The only thing is this: most Poles born after 1990 speak English very fluently, especially in the capital. They speak with accents and say stuff in the strangest ways, but they understand everything and can carry on a conversation quite well. I'd say about 50% of the people my age that I've met can speak fluently, 25% more can speak English enough to do what they need to do, and the rest either speak German, (for economic reasons,) or don't speak English AT ALL. Girls 80% of the time speak English, (in Warsaw.) In villages and smaller cities the number is much lower.

HOWEVER, I would not suggest coming here to practice Polish unless you are at least pretty good at conversing, many Poles, (I'm speaking of Warsaw,) INSIST on speaking English even after you demonstrate that you speak Polish much better than they speak English. It's their way of showing off how worldly they are, and they genuinely believe it's impossible for a foreigner to learn Polish.

I get asked regularly where in Poland are my parents from, and when I say I'm not Polish they get confused and change the subject.

In terms of using Polish to game girls, this is what you need to do: Approach in Polish, and speak fluently for about a minute, sometimes more. Then the girl will switch to English. They are checking if you live in Poland, and that you're not, "a drunk englishman here to have sex with slavic girls." (that's what I've heard - girls I know from Krakow straight out refuse to speak with foreign men unless you speak Polish, and it's readily apparent that you're not on a "stag party" (bachelor party.)

I would suggest speaking in English (after they "test" your Polish and make sure you aren't just here for cheap beer and women) when gaming if the girl wants to speak English.

The stag party situation in Krakow is a bit overblown, I've seen more Polish girls on their girls night out pre-wedding bachelor party than English lads. But the reality is like you mentioned, once you start speaking the language you will notice a significant improvement in your approaches, especially when talking to more attractive girls. There are many young students that move to Krakow every year and don't speak proper English. Some avoid tourists because they have a bad reputation but many are just too shy and will be very happy to speak to you in Polish.
Obviously you will not run game in Polish but just the ability to have a conversation is a huge DHV when a foreigner does it.

Quote: (05-06-2018 01:17 PM)Pointer Wrote:  

The stag party situation in Krakow is a bit overblown, I've seen more Polish girls on their girls night out pre-wedding bachelor party than English lads. But the reality is like you mentioned, once you start speaking the language you will notice a significant improvement in your approaches, especially when talking to more attractive girls. There are many young students that move to Krakow every year and don't speak proper English. Some avoid tourists because they have a bad reputation but many are just too shy and will be very happy to speak to you in Polish.
Obviously you will not run game in Polish but just the ability to have a conversation is a huge DHV when a foreigner does it.

You definitely know much more about Krakow than me, I've only been there three times, and spent I think a total of 8 days there, only going out drinking two nights, plus I was with my Polish girl and her two friends, so I couldn't run game.

I met lots of female students studying in Krakow through my friend, and the topic came up nearly every time, even when no one was drinking [Image: suspicious.gif] . They would say something nice about my American accent and then use that to start the conversation about how they feel towards British men.

I agree. Being able to speak Polish is a massive DHV. One night I was at a club with a friend of mine, he has outstanding natural game, he lives in Brussels, his English is flawless, and he dresses to a T. He would talk to girls and they loved the attention, but they were reluctant to give him numbers, or even go to "the upstairs" with him. (this spot in the club where you can smoke in these little tiny cubicles with chairs and no doors - and it's dark [Image: hump.gif] , it's really weird that they had something like that. Europe is funny, man)

I on the other hand, used the approach as explained above, I would walk up to groups of girls and say whatever random nonsense I felt like in Polish, I would usually open with something like, "I had to move here for work and now I'm going to be here for a few years, are you guys from Warsaw?" and then the conversation would continue naturally. Polish girls will talk about anything and enjoy it as long as you are confident and have a RELAXED but confident vibe. also: don't try to do a perfect accent when speaking to girls in Polish. They don't care how good your accent is, and if you try to sound like a polish guy, you won't sound genuine; it's an in-congruency. Use your natural rhythm and voice if you feel like saying something the "correct way" is going to make you feel like you're acting. I swear the vibe a lot of guys from NYC have is the perfect vibe for Polish girls. It combines the two things they want, but have a hard time finding in Europe -

A:Conversationalist/Relaxed/joking/nonjudgemental
and
B:Confident / Masculine
Western Europeans usually fall into category A, without category B, and Polish guys usually fall heavily into category B if they're drunk, (which they usually are at clubs, and more power to them honestly lol) and heavily into category A when they're sober. But there's not many people that have a good mix of those two.

New Yorkers who grew up in the outer boroughs and are not Jersey Shore acting guido shytes have a perfect mix if they learned to game naturally in those areas. Not too smooth like an Italian or Argentine, (that makes some girls think the guy is always trying to get with them, and that ruins the pickup if they know you're trying to act a certain way to get with them.) But not too masculine like the Polish guys who shave their heads bald and walk around like they haven't smiled since before they could grow pubic hair.

Before anyone accuses me of making fun of Polish men, or generalizing Polish people, let me say that I am using the most extreme examples to demonstrate a stereotype. I hang out with Polish guys at work everyday, and drink with them at least twice a month. However, there are big differences in terms of general attitude and vibe.

I'm sure there are cultures that have the same vibe and behavior as Brooklyn and Bronx "kids," but just saying your from New York is a DHV. Also, if you make a small social Faux Pas, and the girl tries to shit test you, it's easy to say, "what? you guys are crazy here." (say this in a funny joking manner, NOT condescendingly.) and a lot of chicks, (but NOT all chicks) will buy into your frame because they subconsciously think that the New York way is the "Cool / hip / modern / worldly way." Obviously this doesn't work if you fart, but if you do something small like breaking a rule of their strict eating etiquette like eating with your fork in your right hand and your knife in your left hand, (they pronounce the name of this etiquette as /serv-wa-VIV/ I don't know how to spell it, so if anyone can, please type it for me,) you can just make a joke and say, "you're definitely Polish" or "Please never say that in New York if you want to have any friends there." (obviously joking and relaxed.) I mention tone a lot because I've noticed that Polish girls in general are much more perceptive of your "energy" than girls from other countries. It's not what you say, what you do, it's how you say, how you do. I know this is universal, however here it seems to be much more important than any other culture I've gotten to know.

wow. This post ended up really long, I hope my venting is helpful, if you disagree I'm sincerely open to anyone else's opinion.

Nice thread. Have you learnt any Russian? I've found starting Russian a bit easier due to the alphabet matching the pronunciation better, rather than all the sz cz etc. you get in Polish...

What other languages do you speak? Im trying to learn Japanese.

Quote: (05-21-2018 05:10 AM)ponzored Wrote:  

Nice thread. Have you learnt any Russian? I've found starting Russian a bit easier due to the alphabet matching the pronunciation better, rather than all the sz cz etc. you get in Polish...

I've been flirting with Russian off an on for about 6 months. I would say that Polish pronunciation is probably the toughest I've encountered in any language, except Arabic. However, Poles are surprisingly good at understanding even the most horrible of foreign accents and mispronunciations. My guess is that because the words tend to be quite long, they are able to guess what you're saying.

Russian seems easier than Polish, but it ALSO seems harder.
in order of importance...
1. MUCH more resources / quality of resources are better.
2. More systemized prefixes for changing the meaning of verbs.
3. Less verb conjugations.

Polish is easier because...
1. fixed stress on words. (ie: Szczęście = sh-ch-ehn-sh-che) the stress is always, (well 99% of the time,) on the second to last syllable. This makes it extremely easy to read new words and be able to sound them out.

Whereas in Russian, Спасибо (written: spasibo) is pronounced like: spuhsibuh in quick speech, and spasibuh when someone is speaking slowly, or making an effort to pronounce it correctly.
So that O became an "uh" and that A sometimes becomes an "uh" also. (they're not both said "uh" in the same way, but anyone who can read a Russian IPA transcription would already know what I'm taking about.)
This small little detail actually makes it take a lot longer to learn. Even if I learn 10 words a week simply by seeing them, over the course of 2 years, that's an extra 1,000 words that I know. If I was to do the same thing with Russian, I would need to double check the pronunciation of those words, which slows things down only a little, but since language learning is a marathon, these differences add up over the course of a few years.

Just learn the polish writing system, it's real easy. If you can't even be bothered to learn how to read it correctly, then waste time even starting. There's stuff that's 100x more difficult than the spelling that you need to be able to communicate.

Quote: (05-21-2018 08:01 PM)JR301 Wrote:  

What other languages do you speak? Im trying to learn Japanese.

I studied Japanese for about a year, at the end of which year I was at a high-beginner, maybe lower intermediate level on a good day. However it's been a while, and I completely neglected it for about 2 years after, and when I came back to it my level was so low that I knew I would have needed to start using textbooks and formal self-study methods again. So no, I don't know Japanese.

However, Japanese is actually a quite logical and "simple" language. It's very "hard" to learn because you need to learn sooooo much. It's not like Polish or Russian where it's super complex. It's difficult because you need to spend years and years and then still, you'll struggle to read a book written for adolescents.

You also need to learn a lot about the culture, and learn a completely new way to express yourself. If you try to think in English and translate it into Japanese, it will be impossible. Also, the Kanji are really annoying time consuming. I'd say that the time it takes to learn the Kanji alone is probably as much or more time than it would take to learn Spanish or another "easy" language to an extremely impressive level of fluency.

However, from what I've heard from people who've moved to Japan, the country and people seem awesome enough to make the time investment worth it. If you want any advice etc. send me a PM and I'll give you the links to some language forums / the course I used for a year, (it was a great course.)

Good luck brother!

Thanks for this guide.

What do you think about using "computer generated voice" to learn how to pronounce a new language?

It's also called "text to speech software" (for example Google Translate).

I don't like it because you never know if the software is right or wrong with the accent, and the human voice can put emotions/feeling in a sentence that help you to memorize this sentence.

I was learning hardcore for maybe 1 year and p much gave up once i reached a level where i could comfortably live and speak with my girlfriends parents. Only thing to add to this is the duolinguo course is pretty good, at all else for just teaching a nice wide range of vocabulary. I notice on trips to the village on weekends where im forced to always speak polish it gets better but the longer I stay away the worse it gets, really just have to drill everyday to stay sharp and the mental power is takes to get everything correct sometimes just cant be mustered with all other lifes bullshit, work, etc...

Good writeup though, maybe one day ill return to take some of the advice here.

Quote: (09-03-2018 02:29 AM)balybary Wrote:  

Thanks for this guide.

What do you think about using "computer generated voice" to learn how to pronounce a new language?

It's also called "text to speech software" (for example Google Translate).

I don't like it because you never know if the software is right or wrong with the accent, and the human voice can put emotions/feeling in a sentence that help you to memorize this sentence.

It's not ideal, but it's infinitely better than guessing the pronunciation. If you want to hear the pronunciation of individual words, check out forvo.com. You can type in a word in any language and there's a good chance, (especially for the more widely spoken languages,) that there's a ton of native speakers who have recorded that word. Also, you'll see on the search page sentences recorded by native speakers that include that word in it.

Quote: (09-03-2018 08:49 AM)NewMeta Wrote:  

I was learning hardcore for maybe 1 year and p much gave up once i reached a level where i could comfortably live and speak with my girlfriends parents. Only thing to add to this is the duolinguo course is pretty good, at all else for just teaching a nice wide range of vocabulary. I notice on trips to the village on weekends where im forced to always speak polish it gets better but the longer I stay away the worse it gets, really just have to drill everyday to stay sharp and the mental power is takes to get everything correct sometimes just cant be mustered with all other lifes bullshit, work, etc...

Good writeup though, maybe one day ill return to take some of the advice here.

I know what you mean. The same thing happened to me over the summer when I went back to America for over a month.
Unfortunately it's the same for any language though. You need to spend time with the language, consuming media that's easy to understand, i.e. Easier Books, certain TV shows, documentaries about something that you already know some background info on, etc. The quicker you learn a language, the quicker you forget. This also applies to school. I remember way more stuff from the classes I studied a little bit daily for, than I do the classes I crammed all the info for before the final exam.

Duolingo is a gimmick, and doesn't work. It's designed in a way to make you feel like you're "leveling up" and "scoring points towards fluency!!" but it's really, really bad. Unless that's the only thing you have access to, then there's a million better resources out there than duolingo.

If you like Duolingo, I would suggest Busuu. Busuu is a similar app to Duolingo, but it's actually a challenging, useful course that will leave you with a respectable level at the end.

Seriously, if no one gets anything out of anything I wrote in this whole entire thread, it should be: Duolingo and Rosetta stone = Bad.

Babbel is a great program for beginners, and after that you can work on Busuu. If you need extra vocabulary, read about stuff and look up words on your own and make notes.

I was familiarized by Busuu a couple of months ago and it's a really cool program to keep your game sharp. While the lessons are generic, the conversation part is very good and of course, my favourite part is when it forces you to answer a question in the language (based on the lesson) in either text or voice. Your assignment is then assessed by other community members that speak that language fluently. It's great fun!

One thing I always hated about Polish was the past tense, and perhaps it was why my Russian improved so much faster than my Polish since past tense was much simpler (also much more resources to watch online). To better learn it, I include conjugation of both present and past tense of the verbs in my personalized NKO Polish deck and follow spaced repetition. My past tense knowledge since has improved tenfold.

I do want to get into the habit of writing a short paragraph or diary of my day in the language (both Polish and Russian), as I think it'll eventually really help with speaking as well. I'm looking forward to put this to test in this Polish wedding I'm attending on Saturday where I'll be one of the only 5 non-Poles in the entire party [Image: banana.gif]

Are audio books good for learning a new language or increasing fluency in a language that you already are somewhat familiar with?

Quote: (09-04-2018 01:40 PM)AManLikePutin Wrote:  

I was familiarized by Busuu a couple of months ago and it's a really cool program to keep your game sharp. While the lessons are generic, the conversation part is very good and of course, my favourite part is when it forces you to answer a question in the language (based on the lesson) in either text or voice. Your assignment is then assessed by other community members that speak that language fluently. It's great fun!
Busuu has tons of negative reviews, and I get why. Regardless, it's still miles ahead of any other language learning app, with the exception of Babbel, (although Babbel only really has courses for 4 or 5 languages. Anything outside of Spanish/French/Italian/German is very basic, but good for a beginner who doesn't know a related language.)

Busuu is kind of "hardcore." I do it for Russian off and on and if I didn't know Polish, it would be very overwhelming. To me this means that it is a quality, intensive program, but if you are a newbie language learner, and especially if the language is relatively distant from any language you already know, I would recommend something else first. Also, take notes in a notebook while using Busuu, they have a review feature, but I don't find it that adequate. If you used the app religiously then maybe it would be alright, but if you use it 3x a week like I do, I need to go back and review my notes for 10 minutes or so before continuing on.

I do want to get into the habit of writing a short paragraph or diary of my day in the language (both Polish and Russian), as I think it'll eventually really help with speaking as well. I'm looking forward to put this to test in this Polish wedding I'm attending on Saturday where I'll be one of the only 5 non-Poles in the entire party [Image: banana.gif]
Writing helps a lot. Post on iTalki or Lang-8, if you're native language is English, there's 1,000 poles learning for every one english speaker learning Polish. You'll have the whole country helping you out.

How did the party go? I found that after a month of hardcore study, I was able to say lots and lots, but it took me a good 6 months of immersion to be able to understand enough to be sure that I was responding to what I was actually supposed to be responding to. Supposedly, Polish listening comprehension is a nightmare. I live here though, so I didn't have to deal with that thankfully.

One thing I always hated about Polish was the past tense, and perhaps it was why my Russian improved so much faster than my Polish since past tense was much simpler (also much more resources to watch online). To better learn it, I include conjugation of both present and past tense of the verbs in my personalized NKO Polish deck and follow spaced repetition. My past tense knowledge since has improved tenfold.

To be honest, I'd say that Russian might be harder simply because of the mobile stress. In other words, you need to remember the sounds and the stress. It seems like a minor inconvenience, and in the beginner and lower intermediate stages it is. However, once you reach a solid B2 level ("can converse about almost anything but you make mistakes and lack specialized vocabulary") it becomes a pain. With Polish, you can look at a box of cereal and see how a word is pronounced, and use it later on that day in a conversation. With Russian, you can't rely just on your visual memory, you have to be able to hear the word in your head. I find Russian speakers are pretty patient, but these little inconveniences add up and make the process take longer.

In terms of grammar and vocabulary Polish is more difficult. "High Level" Russian vocabulary contains tons of words imported straight from french, so the more advanced vocabulary is similar to English, (since English did the same exact thing; they imported French words the same way the Russians did.)

Polish didn't do this. You will continue to having to learn slavic vocabulary, even at a literary level, which is very challenging. You don't see these words often, so you need to stay in contact with the language used at a more formal register, or you'll forget these words.

At the end of the day though, I have found that for self-taught learners "difficulty" is correlated more than anything to the availability of good materials, (especially free materials!)

It's a lot easier for a Chinese person to learn "Spain" Spanish (Madrid) than Mexican Spanish, even though they are the same language. This is simply due to the fact that Mexican Spanish isn't curated the same way "Castellano" is.

There's another super important factor that is hardly spoken about, which actually contradicts my last point. "Hard" languages, spoken by nationalistic and less economically powerful nations will love you if you learn their language.

I speak Spanish well enough to pass for a native speaker most of the time, especially when I'm speaking the language regularly. However this hardly opens any doors. No one gives me any special treatment. The end result is having Spanish speakers hounding you for your secrets, to which I reply "study everyday," which ultimately disappoints them, and ends up with me being falsely labelled a "genius" so that they feel better about their level of English.

Polish on the other hand is the complete opposite. I would say I'm a strong B2 in Polish, I don't know if I'll ever make the push to go to C1, I just don't see the point. Regardless, if I have to deal with a sensitive situation, (police, bouncers, immigration etc.) I put on an American accent. I literally almost got into a fight with like 6 guys one time at a party out in the countryside, (They thought I was a Ukrainian trying to pretend to be American,) until my friends older brother (who's a boss) walked in and yelled, "WTF that's you? When did you learn Polish" - the timing, and irony of his comment was gold.

I've been interviewed on multiple podcasts, offered jobs on TV shows, and am regularly treated like a "savant" despite the fact that my Polish is truly not that good. Girls think I'm some sort of genius American who will transfer my "skills" to them so they can learn English if they just... you know [Image: wink.gif] And, remember: I make tons of mistakes, and my vocabulary is far from "eloquent" I speak like a fluent 12 year old.

Sorry for the long-winded, (and late) post. I'm exhausted as all hell right now, and I really enjoy helping people learn languages, especially if Polish, since if I would have had someone like me to guide me along the way and give me pointers, it would have been way easier, and I would definitely be a lot more proficient than I currently am. I have only met one westerner who speaks Polish better than I do, (she's Irish,) and she has been 100% immersed in the language for like 9 years, and is super talented when it comes to languages, especially grammar.

The bar is set super low when it comes to Polish. I'd suggest that more people take advantage of it. You will reap tons of rewards. If you can grind through the beginner and lower intermediate stage, it becomes just as easy as studying Spanish. It might even be easier since there are hardly any accents or dialects. Spanish may be a lot easier, but there's so many dialects that I doubt anyone on earth can understand every Spanish dialect 100%. But then again, English is similar, but not nearly as bad, in that regard.

Best of luck! / Powodzenia / удачи!

to the Moderator(s):
I wanted to answer this question with the level of detail and respect, that my integrity with regards to language learning compels me to. There's just too much bad advice (like that irish guy who learns a language in 3 months lol. - trust me I've met, and spoken with this dude.) I wasn't sure if I should respond to both comments in one post, but given the length of my last post and of this post, I thought it would be more palatable to readers if they were broken up over two posts. Thanks / Sorry in advance.

Quote: (09-08-2018 12:40 AM)Nikola Jokic Wrote:  

Are audio books good for learning a new language or increasing fluency in a language that you already are somewhat familiar with?

Yes. Definitely. However I would say that it depends on your goals. If you're satisfied with your conversational language, or if you really want to perfect your command in that language, then audiobooks + reading simultaneously are amazing. You just need to pick the right book, and work the book the right way. It will make you improve your listening and speaking skills way faster, if you use the language in real situations during the same period of time while you're working through the audiobook + book combo.

If you're looking to use an Audiobook by itself, you won't really get that much out of it unless you're at a really high level / the book is made for young teens / the book is about a subject that you're an expert in already.

I listen to audiobooks (like on the bus, not "studying") in Italian and Spanish, but I have an almost near native level in those languages. If I listen to an audiobook - like a novel for adults - in French I need to rewind so much that it's a waste of my time unless I'm slowing down the audio, following along with the text, and looking up new words at my desk while doing it in 30 minute stints.

If you were my student, I'd tell you not to do it. I find that whenever a learner gets his hands on "false gold" they stagnate. In other words, the progress you make with 45 minutes of an audiobook and text will probably be half, or even 30% of the progress you would make if you just muscled up and studied that shit for real.

The same goes for watching foreign language TV with foreign language subtitles. This is a waste of time, but it makes you feel like you're studying. If you can't handle the show without subtitles in any language, either change the show, or go find something easier to do.

In my experience, and this is based on the experience of many others who are much more experienced and talented than I am: Listening to something you understand less than 85% of is a horrible use of your time. Don't get lulled into these traps.

I see so many English schools, and apps out there that promise easy results. They give you easy work that keeps you busy, but doesn't challenge you. You feel good because you've studied. Then a year later you realize you have hardly improved.

Language learning is uncannily similar to weight training. If you're not breaking a sweat, you're not working hard enough. A warning though... unlike weight lifting, if you put too much pressure on yourself to study a language, you'll burn out and make yourself hate it.

Identify your weaknesses, and strengthen them.

If your weakness is either...
1. listening comprehension...
or...
2. making sense of longer, more complex sentences.
then...
Audiobooks are for you.

If you can't sit down and comfortably converse with a native for an hour about a topic that interests you yet, then hold off on the audiobooks. Don't fall for the gimmicks. The language learning industry is just like the exercise industry. It's full of scammers, and "cheaters" (people who grew up with 5 languages) who will try to tell you what to do, but have no idea what it's like to learn a new language to a fluent level, (a level where you can can function just as confidently in your target language as in your mother tongue, dealing with everything from stand up comedy to contracts,) as an adult with limited time and mobility.

Impressed that the OP was able to learn that language that quick

Regardless if your into Polish girls, it seems there might be other languages to learn if a lot of the newer generation speaks English and there is only one country it’s spoken in