rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

'Inclusive' Fan Fest Canceled; Organizers Keep Money

This story is pretty damned funny. There's a link to the cache file of the full article here.

In Baltimore, a group of SJWs spent two years organizing “first multi-fandom Con dedicated to inclusion, highlighting Women, LGBTQ, the Disabled and Persons of Color.” But one problem: Nobody wanted to come. So they had to cancel it.

The Baltimore Sun attempts to deflect this sorry truth early in its story about this: "But organizers announced Friday on Twitter they couldn’t secure enough financial backing to hold the convention."

Huh? Financial backing? What does that mean? We find that out in the next paragraph when the reporter, Talia Richardson, has to resort to quoting the organizers' Twitter feed since they wouldn't talk to her:

“Unfortunately, the support we were anticipating in terms of ticket sales and sponsorships did not materialize.”

Oh, so now we know! No one cared enough to buy tickets. Planned guests were Kristian Nairn from “Game of Thrones,” actor Mehcad Brooks of “Supergirl,” and '80s rapper Big Daddy Kane. I guess the cost of these performers wasn't offset by ticket sales. You'd think they'd do it "for the cause," but I guess money talks even for Hollywood SJWs.

It wouldn't be a newspaper story without the word "scrambling" (which is only ever used by female newspaper writers) and on that count, this article doesn't disappoint:

"The last-minute announcement left fans scrambling to cancel flights and hotel rooms and recoup the money they’d spent to prepare for the convention. Many said they were frustrated and angry — not just because the event was canceled, but because of the lack of communication from event planners."

This leads us to our next point, and it's a big 'un: Those tickets people bought were non-refundable. So some people planning on attending may have lost money both on travel arrangements AND tickets.

In response to frequent questions about refunds, organizers said they will honor people’s tickets whenever the convention is rescheduled. The organizers say they're trying to reschedule the event at some point in the future so they're, like, keeping the money. More from the story:

“This statement is bewildering,” author Roxane Gay posted on Twitter, replying to a tweet from the main FanCon account. “I cannot believe you would put this up. To tell people who have bought non refundable tickets that the organizers did too... is flippant, at best. And to offer no refunds... wow.”

"Many on Twitter complained that organizers bungled the announcement about the postponement. People who had made hotel reservations within a specific block of rooms received room cancellation emails from the hotel before organizers put out any official information."

One other thing: The Kickstarter campaign to salvage this mess didn't work either. They couldn't even raise the money from angel donors. I guess fans don't want to be associated with the patronizing ideals these "fan fest" organizers were selling. That's a shame.

You mean Hodor and Jimmy Olsen weren't big enough guns to draw a Comic Con-sized audience of homos, freaks and angry feminists? Too bad. Imagine the video footage that would have surfaced...comedy gold, Jerry!

I found this quote to be particularly funny:

Quote:Quote:

As we built out our floorplan, invited guests, figured out lodging/travel arrangements, and confirmed activities, our costs started to grow exponentially.

Sounds like they waited till the last minute to run the numbers and realized they had no idea what they were doing.

Oh those crazy costs!

Expanding exponentially like an alien life form from a distant planet!

Putting our lived inexperience at risk!

Also I am not surprised they kept the money. Because these sorts see themselves as above anything as shady as the profit motive, they are free to grab cash with impunity.

They just don't hold themselves to standards like everyone else.

I worked for a SJW type in the late nineties at a restaurant who, like Glinda the Good Witch, dangled end of the year bonuses for overworked employees as if they were party favors that came from her natural goodness.

Around December, she found out that a part of the floor had rotted, and needed to be replaced, and her solution?

Cancel all bonuses!

Her justification? Hey, we're all in this together, right?

These people. Their word means nothing and they hide their lack of character behind bumpersticker compassion.

[Image: f3223add779c7d9b90e86f145dfa3ae4.jpg]

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung