rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Dress code (suit v tux)

Dress code (suit v tux)

Just got my first three-piece suit today and had some questions regarding suits vs tuxedoes

I'm attending a formal ball this weekend and want to be the best dressed guy there. Already got the looks department covered but need to deliver with my clothing.

My question here is: what is the dress code for a "formal ball"? I've already purchased a suit but if the tux is mandatory then I need one. Even if it's no tux do RVF think it's always better to dress up?

There's no explicit mention of a "black tie" dress code but I don't like leaving things to chance. I wanna ball out and get laid with my plus one, or even another girl in the after party. This is a college event.

Any input from the RVF? Only have a few days to put anything else into action.

Dress code (suit v tux)

If you're in college, scrap the three piece suit. Get a super well tailored two button suit, and go navy with a dope pocket square. Three piece suits are for older guys, they look awesome, but I realized after buying one that it kinda looks like a costume on younger guys. If it's not black tie, then no reason to wear a tux. If you only have a few days, you're not likely able to get a custom suit or even one tailored properly, so you're likely stuck with whatever you bought.

There's excellent threads on here (mostly made by Suits) about suit game and building a collection. Review those is my advice.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.

Dress code (suit v tux)

Ball usually implies, black tie/white tie (tux). It depends on how serious of a party it is, though. If it's a serious party it would require tuxes. Is it a charity ball, a debutante ball, etc? Those all usually require a tux. Or is this like a university party? If it's a university party (in the US at least) it probably would not require a tux.

Dress code (suit v tux)

Quote: (04-10-2018 10:36 PM)Dragan Wrote:  

Ball usually implies, black tie/white tie (tux). It depends on how serious of a party it is, though. If it's a serious party it would require tuxes. Is it a charity ball, a debutante ball, etc? Those all usually require a tux. Or is this like a university party? If it's a university party (in the US at least) it probably would not require a tux.

Pretty much.

My university required a tux for such an event, but some guys made due with good suits. Some event were white tie, and some guys would even wear decorations that I assumed were from ancestors who won them in battle. A good look, although I don't know the tradition or rules of this.

3 pc are generally one of the last suits a guy buys, sometime in his 30s or 40s. For a young guy, a nice cut dark blue suit and well knotted tie will be ideal. Don't forget the pocket square.

Dress code (suit v tux)

I would ask the host or someone who attended this function in the past. Maybe there are photos online of last year's ball?

Depending on the context it could mean a lot of things.

This video is about balls.

Dress code (suit v tux)

If it is a formal ball then the dress code should be black tie. Part of the point of these things is that there is an appropriate uniform for the event. It's not a good look to be the guy in a suit at a black tie party.

White tie is rarely appropriate anymore, unless you are going to a major state banquet/formal dinner given by a senior aristocrat. White tie has been almost completely replaced by black tie.

You can generally hire black tie inexpensively for the evening, and it shouldn't be a problem to get one that is a good fit.

The three piece suit is excellent, providing YOU can pull it off. People say it is for older guys etc, but it's not strictly true. It takes a certain amount of confidence and sense of entitlement to look like you belong in something that tailored and refined, and generally this takes time to acquire. I wear a 3 piece suit whenever there is a need to wear a suit, and I get compliments on it from everyone, girls stop me in the street to talk to me (a model I smiled at from across the tube actually got off at my stop to introduce herself to me and give me her number before catching the next tube to continue her journey), etc etc. You must wear it like you belong at the top of the food chain though, which means you need to look and carry yourself right. Beards, piercings and tattoos don't generally suit a 3 piece suit, unless you're some actor.

Dress code (suit v tux)

Update:

So I've done some digging and it turns out that last years event had pictures of guys not even wearing full suits. At least now I know I won't be under dressed on the night.

Still not closed to the idea of renting a tux if it will make me look better. I know one dude assigned to my table rocking the tux already.

So these will be my three guaranteed options once I get my suit back from the tailor:

1. Black 3 Piece with white shirt and tie with pocket square

2. 3 Piece again, but with a patterned dark green shirt with buttons open

3. Renting a tux for the night

Not closed to other options if they look better though. Any of you guys have some good pictures of different suit/tux styles? Would be nice to see them all together.

Dress code (suit v tux)

Quote: (04-11-2018 07:07 AM)The King Wrote:  

Update:

So I've done some digging and it turns out that last years event had pictures of guys not even wearing full suits. At least now I know I won't be under dressed on the night.

Still not closed to the idea of renting a tux if it will make me look better. I know one dude assigned to my table rocking the tux already.

So these will be my three guaranteed options once I get my suit back from the tailor:

Not closed to other options if they look better though. Any of you guys have some good pictures of different suit/tux styles? Would be nice to see them all together.

Option 1.

Dress code (suit v tux)

Quote: (04-11-2018 07:07 AM)The King Wrote:  

Update:

1. Is it domino themed? Black suits are generally only for undertakers and computer programmers. Matching your shirt and tie is extremely naff, and to be avoided under all circumstances.

2. 3 piece is highly formal. Green shirt unbuttoned is highly informal. This is just a bad contrast that you should avoid. If you're wearing a 3 piece, wear a tie. Dress up not down as its entire purpose is unusual formality and refinement.

3. Black tie is rarely the wrong choice for formal evening events like a ball.

Dress code (suit v tux)

@ H1N1 The tie doesn't match the shirt, I just haven't specified the colour to remain anonymous. Let's just say it's red.

Got back from the tailor just now and the alterations make me look great. I might post some pictures later on, if not then a lay report after tommorow night.

Appreciate the feedback from RVF. Will keep you all posted.