rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Study Abroad: Poland or China?

I've decided to do study abroad this summer, since I graduate next fall and want to take advantage of the opportunity, not to mention my scholarship will cover some of it. I've found 2 relatively cheap programs in Krakow Poland and Chengdu China. They're language programs, so I will be learning the local language, although for 6 weeks there's no way i'll be able to learn much of it.

I like the eastern european look a lot, and i'm not too crazy about asian girls, but from searching data sheets on krakow everyone was saying not to go during the summer because it's really bad. I'm still leaning towards krakow but i'm not exactly sure at this point.

I'd love to hear anyone's experience or thoughts on either city, thanks.

If you want to go to Krakow more, then f it and just go even if it's not the best time.

Personally, I'd go to Chengdu. If you don't like Asian chicks it might not be for you though. It'll also be easier to relate to the Polish people most likely, though for some people the exoticism of China would make it more reason to go.

I've been to both China and Poland, but not Chengdu. Chengdu is probably the city I want to see most in China, seems like it got a cool vibe to it.

I know from personal experience that Polish courses tend to be mostly 18 year old Ukrainian and Belarusian girls that are planning on learning the language to study at a polish uni. [Image: banana.gif]

The main downside of being in Krakow during the summer is that most students and many locals leave for a few weeks and the whole city gets flooded with tourists.

This being said, I don't think you'll have a shortage of targets and the weather is great during the summer.

Nightlife can be hit or miss, but tourist girls are usually dtf and you can still have a good time.

You seem to have a preference for eastern European girls, so if you've never been there yet, this might be a good chance to give it a try.

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского

Quote: (01-23-2018 04:05 PM)Heart Break Kid Wrote:  

If you want to go to Krakow more, then f it and just go even if it's not the best time.

Personally, I'd go to Chengdu. If you don't like Asian chicks it might not be for you though. It'll also be easier to relate to the Polish people most likely, though for some people the exoticism of China would make it more reason to go.

I've been to both China and Poland, but not Chengdu. Chengdu is probably the city I want to see most in China, seems like it got a cool vibe to it.
No doubt i'd like them both, also heard the Chengdu has some of the best food in China, some of my friends did the program and loved it.

Quote: (01-23-2018 04:15 PM)Gopnik Wrote:  

I know from personal experience that Polish courses tend to be mostly 18 year old Ukrainian and Belarusian girls that are planning on learning the language to study at a polish uni. [Image: banana.gif]

The main downside of being in Krakow during the summer is that most students and many locals leave for a few weeks and the whole city gets flooded with tourists.

This being said, I don't think you'll have a shortage of targets and the weather is great during the summer.

Nightlife can be hit or miss, but tourist girls are usually dtf and you can still have a good time.

You seem to have a preference for eastern European girls, so if you've never been there yet, this might be a good chance to give it a try.

Yep i've never even been out of the US, I love the Eastern European look and taking classes there's no doubt that there'll be a lot of hot European girls, even if Summer isn't the best time.

I believe Krakow would be more affordable. I was there last year and I barely spent any money, albeit I had a scholarship cover up the larger expenses (housing is still cheap though).

Chengdu is great but summer is a horrible time to go. Extremely hot and humid, but no sunshine and bad air.

I recommend Krakow over Chengdu.

I've been to both Poland and China.

In Poland your quality of life will be better, the quality of women will be better, the food and culture will be better, the quality of interactions with the locals will be better, the opportunity to experience nature and landscape will be better, and the air you breathe will be a lot cleaner.

I suppose some of these things will be subjective, however that is from my personal experience.

Chengdu is fairly cheap from my experience, even if you decide to get your own apartment, it shouldn't run you more than $650-700/month for a dope spot for yourself in the middle of the city (search for the terms Taikoo Li or Lan Kwai Fong, those are the happening areas if you happen to go this route). Two of Chengdu's major universities are within a 8-15 minute drive of the main nightlife areas, so if you decide to live on campus it'd be good too, just not sure what the policies would be on bringing girls back. I would also recommend looking through Airbnb listings, there are some gems on there. Food-wise you shouldn't be looking at more than $6-7 per meal, and often it'll be cheaper than that. And yes, the food is amazing, I've visited roughly half of China's provinces and Chengdu cuisine, or Sichuan cuisine in general is tops in China for me, but you gotta be able to tolerate spicy food (real fucking spicy).

For me the girls are the best in China too, curvier, friendlier, and more down to be approached than other areas of the country (especially bitchy Shanghainese chicks), and among native Chinese people that's what their reputation is too. English levels aren't very good however.

atlant is right about the weather though, it's going to be pretty hot, like daytime highs in the upper 80s with humidity with a healthy dose of smog. That along with the traffic, and lack of work opportunities for me as compared to Shanghai is why I don't live there, but for 6 weeks I would HIGHLY recommend Chengdu. I know Asian girls might not be your taste, but it seems like growing up in the West, you've only had a smaller sample size to work with, but the quality of the average Asian girl in the West just does not compare to Chengdu (and I'm actually into more Westernized Asian girls believe it or not).

Unfortunately I don't know squat about Krakow, and I'm not into white girls at all so I can't make a comparison, and I suppose that makes me biased. So be it, I say Chengdu! Let me know if you have any more questions about the city, I don't live there, but I've been a few times, and know enough people from there that I can give you a good picture of the city.

天不怕,地不怕,就怕外国人说中国话!

You won’t like China if you’re not into Asians. Also Chengdu might be a little much to take in for a newbie to Asia. It’s a bit international now compared to 5 years ago, but the local folks are still unused to foreigners and can be xenophobic or treat you like a zoo animal, staring all the time (not in a good way)

Poland will have hot girls and a somewhat similar culture you’re familiar with at least. And they probably speak better English than the average Chinese.

Quote: (01-24-2018 01:37 AM)asiaslayer Wrote:  

You won’t like China if you’re not into Asians. Also Chengdu might be a little much to take in for a newbie to Asia. It’s a bit international now compared to 5 years ago, but the local folks are still unused to foreigners and can be xenophobic or treat you like a zoo animal, staring all the time (not in a good way)

Poland will have hot girls and a somewhat similar culture you’re familiar with at least. And they probably speak better English than the average Chinese.

Good points, definitely not wrong. I suppose I really only focused on the positives in the post above. Chengdu would probably be a real sensory overload, and obviously communication would be your main issues, not knowing the language at all. But if you like an adventure that gets you out of your comfort zone, plus the benefits that I said above, I'd definitely still consider it.

天不怕,地不怕,就怕外国人说中国话!

Is your main objective girls? If so, go for your preference and try to bang as much as you can and maybe write a report back here in between your spare time haha.

If you want to see the world and experience a whole new culture, I would say China. You say you never left the US, China would be a whole new world and it would really have an impact on you.

Either way, you would benefit, its just which section of life you would like to improve on right now.

I got to say go for Krakow......nice easy transition from the US to Eastern Europe.

China would just grind me down.

If you choose Krakow you’ll have access to a lot of nationalities in addition to the Polish chicks.

Both from other students coming to study, as well as the easy connections to many other places in EE.

It looks like Chengdu is smack dab in the middle and will limit you to whoever is in very close proximity.

Food for thought.

I can't comment on China. Regarding Poland, I think you should consider Warsaw instead.

Krakow is overrun with tourists the entire year, but especially the warm months. Many polish girls are gone for the entire summer. While you can hit on tourist girls, in most cases they're not attractive. At all.

Warsaw is bigger and obviously the capital so you'd have more local girls to work with. It won't feel like it's lacking girls. While there's an international scene there, it doesn't have a high concentration of tourists in the warm months like Krakow.

Also, exotic factor in Krakow is very low because of the reason that's been mentioned.

My advice: Do and stay in Warsaw, and visit Krakow for sightseeing and partying on a weekend.

If your not too keen on the Chinese look, I might not go to Chengdu. I already had enough trouble as it is to find non-Chinese girls to daygame in Shanghai, mainland China's biggest and by far the most international city.

You'd be shit outta luck in Chengdu if you don't like the Chinese look. Maybe, a BIG *maybe* you can find a few bangable non-Chinese girls in the exchange program or travelers/English teachers.

However, you might change your mind if you go there as the Chinese girls in America tend to be dorky 4s while I can vouch for the high quality in Sichuan in general. The middle class and above ones tend to be quite hot and dress and act feminine. Just keep in mind that it will literally be hot there in the summer, sometimes too hot to venture outside during the daytime.

I've never been to Poland so can't really comment. Even in the worst case scenario if tourists significantly outnumber locals, you can always be creative in choosing where to spend your weekends. In most study abroad programs, you travel a lot on weekends.

For example, I've heard great things about Lublin and Rzeszow in Poland if your not finding enough Polkas in Krakow. Ukraine is probably doable for a weekend too.

China Shill reporting in.

I'd probably go with Chengdu for the simple fact that Chinese is going to be a very useful language moving forward. Even if you don't know much, you may wanna get an idea of how Chinese people think since you'll be invariably dealing with them at some point in your life.

Now, if it's just a bang trip, pick the country that has the sorts of women you prefer. Either way, you'll be having a good time.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.