rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why do gringos always wanna be different?

I'm here in Ipanema right now and most of the gringos are dressed well....like freaking gringos, you know some kind of really really baggy/loose cotton khaki pants that nobody else ever wears, really loose button up shirts that wallow in the wind like a tent, bandana in their hair, (and the usual dreadlocks).

wished i taken a picture earlier.

it must be some kind of gringo tropical uniform 'cause i've seen that in thailand as well.

i thought the point was to fit in with locals and with brasilians its not hard at all.

The thing I see most common is cargo shorts, tshirt and flip flops with a huge backpack strapped on. But then maybe I shouldn't talk, I'm wearing a tshirt, cargo shorts and flipflops myself right now.

"i thought the point was to fit in with locals"

Says who?

Quote: (04-13-2009 06:50 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

"i thought the point was to fit in with locals"

Says who?

from my experience, i prefer to blend in (to some extent of course).

to stand you really have to work hard, and these guys get A+ for that.

I wanted to make the point that there are no "rules" of travel, and anyone should do as they please. Just like how we like hitting on the girls much of the time, we shouldnt judge others for taking a different approach or doing something else.

you're right.

sorry about my venting, i just found the situation amusing [Image: smile.gif]

Kind of the same idea - hippies are the same everywhere. http://thisguylovestoparty.com/

Though on my blog it's sort of my job to judge other people, especially girls.

Quote: (04-13-2009 03:36 PM)elguapo Wrote:  

it must be some kind of gringo tropical uniform 'cause i've seen that in thailand as well.

i thought the point was to fit in with locals and with brasilians its not hard at all.

The “Uniform” for most of the lower income expats in Thailand is always the following: Cargo Shorts, some sort of sandal or flip-flop, a golf or t-shirt with a logo for a business (cuz they got it for free) and unshaven. Basically they look like shit but without exception they walk around with their nose in the air like they are somehow better than everyone else.

No need to dress like the locals, I never have – basically even if you wear a sombrero or sarong the locals still immediately recognize you as a foreigner. Just dress like you normally do and be polite

[size=28pt]NOMAD MARKETING 101[/size]
Learn how to Travel and Live Around the World and Make Money at the Same time

Quote: (05-05-2009 03:24 PM)Branson Wrote:  

Quote: (04-13-2009 03:36 PM)elguapo Wrote:  

The “Uniform” for most of the lower income expats in Thailand is always the following: Cargo Shorts, some sort of sandal or flip-flop, a golf or t-shirt with a logo for a business (cuz they got it for free) and unshaven. Basically they look like shit but without exception they walk around with their nose in the air like they are somehow better than everyone else.

No need to dress like the locals, I never have – basically even if you wear a sombrero or sarong the locals still immediately recognize you as a foreigner. Just dress like you normally do and be polite

Yeah, gringos have a different concept of fashion. There are standards of fashion in the U.S. and the way you dress here also defines who you are. These concepts and standards, however, are terribly out of place in most other countries. Works in some places, but does not in others, especially where people are particular about what they wear. As a result, you can easily spot Americans abroad (uniforms). But then again, you can spot German, Italian, Russian, Japanese and Chinese tourists too. Tourists from every country are associated with different cliches.

They are travelling, what do you expect? You've basically got to fit everything into a large backpack, and live out of a nasty hostel.

Also, how are they supposed to know local fashion before they get there? Or are they supposed to buy an entirely new wardrobe upon arriving?

When people appear standoffish while traveling, its' likely they are just trying to protect themselves from the unknown by conveying an image harder than reality. It can be a front -

places with 'scary' reps usually bring this out. I live in one of the scariest places ever and I see this behavior constantly. A Brazilian cage fighter would watch his back here.

it all depends
on where you're standing in the world
as to how big an asshole you are

The worst is the American hippie who sits next to you in the cafe, and seems to be intentionally doing the travel without showering thing. The kid usually reeks like a hippie rolled in shit, then simmered over a low fire of burning hair, and is sweating profusely because they have been out walking around with their big backpack at the hottest hour of the day. Usually this fellow is frantically writing in his leather bound journal about his incredible experiences and how 'traditional and simple things are here'

That and a troupe of sailors from any country.

And of course these guys,
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/me...=a-section

Quote:Quote:

the travel without showering thing

They got those here in colombia. They reek, wear torn clothing, and have unkempt beards and filthy black feet. In other words they look like homeless people, and are quite proud of it.