rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Time Restricted Eating

Time Restricted Eating

I believe this is a bit different then intermittent fasting as its a longer eating window...

I'm a big fan of Dr. Rhonda Patrick

She says mice gained more lean muscle mass eating in a ten hour window and they didn't even go to the gym!!

I started eating during a 10 hour window after listeningto this podcast. I actually only eat meals in a 7 hour window. I don't eat anything after 7pm or anything before 9am. However at 9am I only have some bullet proof coffee and a banana, I don't eat my first meal of the day until 12. Then I usually have turkey sausage and eggs, sometime around 2-3 I will have a sandwich and then around 6 I have a decent dinner.

I've only been doing this for 3 weeks and I have seen some solid loss of fat stored in my belly area. I haven't been hitting the gym like I should do to a injury so I don't know how amazing the gains will be. I think the combination of the time restricted eating and gym could produce some impressive lean muscle miracles.

[Image: tumblr_inline_mskd5auu5I1qz4rgp.gif]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Time Restricted Eating

What's the science behind this?

I'm the King of Beijing!

Time Restricted Eating

Quote: (01-03-2018 11:04 AM)Suits Wrote:  

Did you watch the video?

I heard this when they first did this interview. It makes sense, but I'm not going to use my willpower (right now) to do it. I'm starting focus on cutting refined carbs...don't want to take on too many things at once.

It's basically IF everyday. My plan, if I made the change, would simply be to not eat or drink anything until late morning.

I remember thinking years ago, and this could just be lucky common sense, that when I drink my morning coffee, even black as she says, fires up metabolism.

I've found the Pareto Principle most useful for life changes like these. 80/20 rule. 80% of my shit carbs come from 20% activity (sugar, pasta, carbs, beer). Also, fixing refined carb intake is 80% of good nutrition. Once I've tackled that, I can move on to the next step of good nutrition using the 80/20 rule.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Time Restricted Eating

Quote: (01-03-2018 11:04 AM)Suits Wrote:  

Dr. Rhonda Perciavalle Patrick has a Ph.D. in Biomedical Science and is an expert in nutrition, metabolism, and aging. She also has a Bachelor’s of Science degree in biochemistry/chemistry. She has done extensive research on aging, metabolism, nutrition, and cancer. She is currently conducts clinical trials examining the positive effects of vitamin and mineral supplementation on metabolism, inflammation, and aging.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Time Restricted Eating

Sometime common sense don't really need to get backed up by science, even if it would make it better though.
Time Window eating is one of the key point of IF so...

No More Breakfasting and Late Night Snacking
[Image: vUl2yXS.gif]

Tell them too much, they wouldn't understand; tell them what they know, they would yawn.
They have to move up by responding to challenges, not too easy not too hard, until they paused at what they always think is the end of the road for all time instead of a momentary break in an endless upward spiral

Time Restricted Eating

Sucks no morning coffee before going on a run (unless you wanna eat dinner at 3 pm)... And no herbal teas at night (unless you don't want to eat breakfast for 15 hours).

Military people could never pull this off--at work by 7 am and don't get off work until 4 pm or later--There's 9 hours right there. You figure, your morning routine, commute both ways, depending on where you live, and this would be impossible unless your first meal was at lunch time, but damn that'd be hard after morning PT when you're starving to death.

Time Restricted Eating

I've started the new year only eating one meal a day, late in the evening before bed, and only drinking black coffee, and water through the day.

I've got a considerable amount of excess fat to lose though, and had success with this approach when I was younger.

I'll be giving the video in the OP a watch when I get home from work.

Time Restricted Eating

Quote: (01-03-2018 02:48 PM)Marmite Wrote:  

I've started the new year only eating one meal a day, late in the evening before bed, and only drinking black coffee, and water through the day.

I've got a considerable amount of excess fat to lose though, and had success with this approach when I was younger.

I'll be giving the video in the OP a watch when I get home from work.

The video will explain why that's a horrible idea for your metabolism...

Time Restricted Eating

I havent been eating breakfast for a few months now... I dont feel any different, and find that i eat more at lunch and dinner. Lunch and dinner often have more carbs than breakfast, which is usually just eggs and coffee.

The only benefit was that it's less work/time to skip a meal than not.

I'm starting up breakfast again now in the new year, already it's easier to eat a small lunch.

I'm sure it could work in theory, but for me it was not a good fit. I'll still try and do a 24 hr fast every week or so for the immune system benefit.

Time Restricted Eating

Search the forum for intermittent fasting.

thread-4922....termittent

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Time Restricted Eating

Quote: (01-03-2018 03:18 PM)void Wrote:  

Search the forum for intermittent fasting.

thread-4922....termittent

[Image: giphy.gif]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard

Time Restricted Eating

Always wondered what happened to this kid.

[Image: road_warrior2.jpg]

Time Restricted Eating

Intermittent fasting is an actual thing. It works - whether you do it in 10 hour eating windows or 2 hour windows with 22 hours daily fasts. There is a ton of data out there that backs it all up for a variety of reasons.

Time Restricted Eating

Quote: (01-04-2018 01:42 PM)Zelcorpion Wrote:  

Intermittent fasting is an actual thing. It works - whether you do it in 10 hour eating windows or 2 hour windows with 22 hours daily fasts. There is a ton of data out there that backs it all up for a variety of reasons.

Thats dudes pecs be like
[Image: latest?cb=20100118001942]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard

Time Restricted Eating

I watched that video months ago when it came out and I was in the middle of a few month intermittent fasting stint. And I thought to myself "now I can't even have coffee in the morning? or tea?"

I think if you're on a severe caloric deficit, something on the verge of a crash diet, you might want to have protein in the morning. Granted you don't want to be on that kind of diet for the long term, but if so, I'd rather have a little insurance on sparing my LBM. I also take casein before going to bed.

Intermittent fasting makes you pretty clear headed in the morning, but you can also have that same mental clarity or close to it if you restrict portion sizes early in the day, or just a small amount of protein.

When I did IF I was effectively doing something similar to the "warrior diet" which is basically a four hour window and one large meal. An unintended side effect was falling asleep earlier than before. Pretty much cured me of late-onset insomnia. I found that really interesting because before even watching the above video I realized that my nutrient timing was affecting my body clock on a deep level beyond just digestion. There were days I almost fell asleep without eating and I would go on a 20 hour fast. I ate the food and immediately slept.

By far the most important thing is just understanding roughly how many calories you're taking in, and what your macros are. Weighting my food and knowing what I'm eating has been the most important thing in my recent diet journey. The nutrient timing theories are pretty speculative.

One thing is certain is that humans are evolved to go long periods without food. Fasting is just extremely natural on some level. The question is how to manage your fasting and how valid all these particular ideas are.

Time Restricted Eating

[Image: ToiRJYd.jpg]

Time Restricted Eating

Quote: (01-05-2018 03:51 PM)Tenerife Wrote:  

I watched that video months ago when it came out and I was in the middle of a few month intermittent fasting stint. And I thought to myself "now I can't even have coffee in the morning? or tea?"

I think if you're on a severe caloric deficit, something on the verge of a crash diet, you might want to have protein in the morning. Granted you don't want to be on that kind of diet for the long term, but if so, I'd rather have a little insurance on sparing my LBM. I also take casein before going to bed.

Intermittent fasting makes you pretty clear headed in the morning, but you can also have that same mental clarity or close to it if you restrict portion sizes early in the day, or just a small amount of protein.

When I did IF I was effectively doing something similar to the "warrior diet" which is basically a four hour window and one large meal. An unintended side effect was falling asleep earlier than before. Pretty much cured me of late-onset insomnia. I found that really interesting because before even watching the above video I realized that my nutrient timing was affecting my body clock on a deep level beyond just digestion. There were days I almost fell asleep without eating and I would go on a 20 hour fast. I ate the food and immediately slept.

By far the most important thing is just understanding roughly how many calories you're taking in, and what your macros are. Weighting my food and knowing what I'm eating has been the most important thing in my recent diet journey. The nutrient timing theories are pretty speculative.

One thing is certain is that humans are evolved to go long periods without food. Fasting is just extremely natural on some level. The question is how to manage your fasting and how valid all these particular ideas are.

I can definitely confirm the falling asleep after eating, but I seem to remember Ori (the author) wrote about this too.

The Warrior Diet is quite good imo, it was written by someone who lifts too. There's a difference to Warrior Diet though in that it has rules for what to eat first and last: greens-protein-carbs-sweets. It's a bit like LCHF but more practical and less strict.

As for snacking at mid day, which Warrior Diet recommends, I have had the best results with fatty nuts like cashews and almonds and some fruit juice to go. Nuts are surprisingly effective as quick energy when you're low carb.

Time Restricted Eating

Simplest things - being reverified.

Circadian Rhythm.

Rhonda Patricks researcher friend is focussed on Bio Cyclic mechanisms like Circadian Rhythm.

As per Yogic wisdom & Ayurveda, Digestion is connected to the Sun - All creatures (except for those biologically Nocturnal) typically operate with the Solar cycle.

Once its complete the system auto cleanses out "waste product" /remaining garbage.. UNDIGESTED and UNABSORBED stuff through the ENTIRE SYSTEM.. to cleanse, rest and wait in preparation for the NEXT REAL HUNGER.. Then the Stomach Fire and Saliva start again..

Sleeping and waking with the Sun.. eating with the Solar Cycle etc.

Best digestive fire and post digestion cleansing of system is around High Noon > Best time for biggest meals

And more than IF, it has to do with letting Bio Cycles work properly and completely.. When you keep snacking at odd "frequencies" or 30-60 min after a full meal you are MESSING with a multi stage process of the food going through the digestive system.. (Anyone want to look at picture of all the processes.. Stomach, Duodenum, Pancreas, Liver etc etc.. even before it REACHES Small.. and then Large intestine.. ..Is in Intestines where NUTRIENTS are FINALLY ABSORBED:... the stomach is the 2nd processor after Chewing & Saliva.. in the mouth..

So while system is absorbing one batch of a Meal.. you dont keep throwing wood into the fire in the stomach.. it confuses the Multi Stage System process..

John Douillard wrote about it in his book Mind Body & Sport.. and 3 seasons diet .. around 10/15 years back.. where he leveraged Yogic and Ayurvedic wisdom in his Athletics programs... around exercise/ performance & breath.. and digestion and timing..

This is as NATURALLY TUNED to Bio Rhythms as it gets..

https://lifespa.com/live-with-the-cycles/

https://youtu.be/qBtYdjYIbNY

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.
- Garry Kasparov | ‏@Kasparov63

Time Restricted Eating

Some posters seem to be replying to the thread without watching the video....

This actually has some very core differences to intermittent fasting. It's not a small difference like it may seem - the seemingly small difference IS the entire theory and a way to get a huge benefit with a tiny tweak in what you may be doing already. Not to mention it may very well explain why some of you have tried IF and found it "wasn't for you."

The assumption that this is just another video about IF is an easy mistake, but posters should watch it before making more generic replies. Some of you obviously watched it so I'm not taking to all of you, but it's clear who didn't bother. We're better than this, Boys. [Image: wink.gif]

Thanks, Cr33pin. Good share and I'm going to try it starting tomorrow.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Time Restricted Eating

Thanks for sharing this. I am going for 9h window as of tomorrow with lots of water in between. They repeated "muscle mass increase" many times. Hearing that motivated me a lot. I got excited about hitting the gym and sorting my eating habits, just like after finding this forum and reading all advices.

I have already heard about and done restricted time eating but not too tightly; did not know about coffee starting the clock for example. I just remembered the time of my last meal the day before and kept 12h stretch. Also, I stick to three meals a day.

Great posts in this thread. Thank you all.

Time Restricted Eating

Quote: (01-03-2018 01:01 PM)Dulceácido Wrote:  

Sucks no morning coffee before going on a run (unless you wanna eat dinner at 3 pm)... And no herbal teas at night (unless you don't want to eat breakfast for 15 hours).

Military people could never pull this off--at work by 7 am and don't get off work until 4 pm or later--There's 9 hours right there. You figure, your morning routine, commute both ways, depending on where you live, and this would be impossible unless your first meal was at lunch time, but damn that'd be hard after morning PT when you're starving to death.

Not trying to attack you here, but I just couldn't let this slip by. I think it's important to point out that there's always a "reason" why fasting is "too hard." Same goes for other things that seem difficult at the surface level. Military guys are not so different as other people in their ability to generate said excuses if it regards a practice not already ingrained in their unique culture.

General Stanley McChrystal, in contrast, is well-known for eating one meal a day over years and years and years to maintain his energy levels and a physique that his men will respect (see interviews of him by Ferriss). He's inspired other men in his ranks to do the same, and I'm sure plenty other military men at all levels and vocations have engaged in intermittent fasting, long fasts, and other generally difficult things regardless of their schedules. Many elite soldiers throughout history have pushed the boundaries of human performance and set the bar for the rest of us, as I'm sure doesn't need much saying.

Also, there are plenty of non-military guys who work all day, have morning routines and commutes and rigid schedules, etc, and do "PT" in the morning fasted and still don't eat until noon or later. I've been one of them. Hell, before I left the states this winter, I was essentially doing PT twice before eating my first meal around noon (though at the time time I knew nothing about coffee starting the digestive processes). It really wasn't that tough once I got in the swing, as with most things.

One thing that did really prove to be a bit too much for me was doing a 10-day full-on fast while continuing to hit the gym and also practicing with (helping coach) the local high school wrestling team. That sapped the energy more than I wanted and made it tough to be there a hundred percent in practice for the kids. In the end, I decided against my original goal of 20 days and cut it in half. But your body will adjust to IF (and likely time restricted eating) quick and a morning workout won't mess with you much - because you are still taking in plenty of energy to carry you through.

Sometimes certain ideas are just not up our alley, and there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes we just aren't interested.

But you have to be careful of the rationalizations you make to yourself about why you can't do things - or, more accurately, why you choose to not do things. I believe when you justify with reasons why you "can't" that don't really hold up to close scrutiny, you train your brain to more readily look for the easy passes in all areas of life when you come across challenging practices that could really benefit you. If there are others out there doing it under similar circumstances, chances are that with a little acclimation, so could you.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Time Restricted Eating

Quote: (01-29-2018 09:36 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Some posters seem to be replying to the thread without watching the video....

This actually has some very core differences to intermittent fasting. It's not a small difference like it may seem - the seemingly small difference IS the entire theory and a way to get a huge benefit with a tiny tweak in what you may be doing already. Not to mention it may very well explain why some of you have tried IF and found it "wasn't for you."

The assumption that this is just another video about IF is an easy mistake, but posters should watch it before making more generic replies. Some of you obviously watched it so I'm not taking to all of you, but it's clear who didn't bother. We're better than this, Boys. [Image: wink.gif]

Thanks, Cr33pin. Good share and I'm going to try it starting tomorrow.

Yes BB. It IF is like a subset after effect of "Correctly Timed Eating + Complete cycle of Digestion Process + Gap till HUNGER/ Digestive fire is back at FULL"

One would spoil the benefits of the IF, if they did not give Give GAPS between Meals in their Feeding Period..

Example it looks like this..

[Image: Daily-dosha-timings-and-actions-1024x749.png]

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.

Time Restricted Eating

So the time restricted eating is combination of particular window of eating in sync with natural rhythm? What is then IF in relation to that, simply eating at whatever window you choose and rest of day you are fasting and you are not in sync with natural rhythm?

Time Restricted Eating

Quote: (01-30-2018 10:07 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

So the time restricted eating is combination of particular window of eating in sync with natural rhythm? What is then IF in relation to that, simply eating at whatever window you choose and rest of day you are fasting and you are not in sync with natural rhythm?

Underlying fundamentals..

Our body thrives on absorbing energy and eliminating toxins..

1 - Breath - Breathing.. 24/7 - Respiratory system
2 - Water & food - Digestive System
3 - Mental States/ Meditative Mind - "State of mind is not independent of the body" and absorbs & eliminates good & bad using Body (Bio chem processes) and Down time.. (Sleep) and Super Detox (Meditation)..

Digestion is a multi stage process of the food going through the digestive system & tract as well as insertion of enzymes & stuff to break down.. and then ABSORB good stuff & avoid / eliminate toxins..

Anyone want to look at picture of all the processes.. Stomach, Duodenum, Pancreas, Liver etc etc.. even before it REACHES Small.. and then Large intestine.. ..

It is in Intestines where NUTRIENTS are FINALLY ABSORBED:... the stomach is the 2nd processor after Chewing & Saliva.. in the mouth.. And then all of the listed above.. S, D, P, L, Kidneys etc.. All are connected..

The above paragraphs are a simplified outline of what is a very COMPLEX Bio Enzymatic & Hormone etc process.. when in Balance & Natural it works without a hitch..

Once you unnaturalize it and mess with it.. trouble.. not just for digestion but all health..

When digestion fire / strength is Improper, there is more "waste" product.. not just SOLID waste in the "Digestive Tract" but also overall Bio System.. blood etc..

If you've heard of Uric Acid issues in older or now also younger people its their digestive systems imbalance / mess up that is not digesting protein COMPLETELY.. and the by product Uric Acid which typically goes out via Urine.. is MORE than what the system was able to.. and its not FLUSHED from the Blood stream.. and then lots of other issues.. pain in joints etc.. Crystallization..

As a reaction people start to decrease protein intake, which gives relief but a true FIX is Multi Stage Digestive balance & strengthen..

So Digestion is BREAKDOWN, ABSORPTION, as well as PROPER DETOX & ELIMINATION of MAL-PRODUCTS.

I suspect the work Mal-ignant, Mal-ign, Mal. etc come from a Yogic Ayurvedic term for negative waste product (in the Ayurvedic medical science) which must be cleansed / flushed out..

So when you keep snacking at odd "frequencies" or 30-60 min after a full meal you are MESSING with a multi stage FACTORY process..

Anyone who understands how a COMPLEX system (Manufacturing/ Assembly Line (or Oil refinery etc) works.. knows what happens if ANY STAGE or one part of the system is messed up it messes other systems..

So while system is absorbing one batch of a Meal.. you dont keep throwing wood into the fire in the stomach.. it confuses the Multi Stage System process.. and every BATCH of food does not get the PROPER TIME & SPACE at the PROPER STAGES to process..

So IF is ONE WAY of giving some Time & space to the processes above.. Elimination / Detox cycles..

Bad stuff or Fat accumulation is a symptom of messing with the Digestion & Detox/Elimination processes..

Even if your EATING time is not in sync with nature... e.g. Feed at night.. With Fasting you're giving body "huge gap" to make up for it..

Timed eating is "finding optimal time" for each state of the above process..

If anyone works on a farm or garden or knows plants.. they will tell you how one has to work with NATURE and its cycle to help plants grow properly..

Same applies to animals.. who in nature do not break their natural cycles..

Humans across the Globe used to live/ follow the Natural times..

It was well studied in ancient times and everyone APPLIED it without KNOWING the science behind it.. it was just HOW culture worked..

Now.. they need to go back to it..

And guess what most cultures/ religions have some aspect of FASTING.. its not so much religious as its for CLEANSING & GIVING REST.. to the BODY-MIND complex.. And this allows the SPIRIT and/ or the PRANA to RISE.. Meditation becomes easier..

A rested & well maintained (fasting is re-oiling & greasing in some ways) system can work and fire better..

Vedic/ Yogic guidelines have weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual ... fasting methodologies.. just like you have for your car.. daily, monthly.. & annual check ups & maintenance.. internal cleaning etc..

You'd think we'd have a manual for it and do the same for our Bio Systems?

Time Restricted Eating

Time-restricted diets definitely work. They work even if you don't do anything else.