rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Blood test: Creatine supplement has been hurting my kidneys

Hey guys, just wanted to put this out there in case some of you buy "safe" supplements like me over the counter and think they won't do any damage. Anyway, for awhile now I've been cycling creatine on and off and just got my blood work done and the doctor found I was at the early stages of having kidney issues and elevated creatinine levels. I'm getting off the creatine now to try to normalize things but it was a wake up call that these supplements can wreak havoc on your body if not monitored or watched properly. Thankful today I got my blood work done so I caught this early!

Of course you have elevated creatinine levels, it's a by product of creatine. Creatinine levels while using creatine show up exactly the same as creatinine levels caused by renal problems. Take two weeks off the creatine, redo blood test. If creatinine levels return to normal, your kidneys are fine.

We need to know more about your lifestyle than just this short post. The causes of kidney failure are vast and without knowing your medical history this is just a stab in the dark.

I'm being genuine here. What's your cholesterol count, do you drink, have you ever done steroids, do you have a family history of kidney issues/disease?

Way too much here to point the finger at creatine.

Wasn't Eliot Rodger driven off the deep end by a heavy creatine cycle? Tread carefully friends.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

I think it's hilarious you guys talk about "cycling" creatine, like it's a potent drug. It's a naturally occuring amino acid and one of the most studied supplements out there, next to whey and vitamin D.

The level of misinformation and ignorance on this forum regarding supplementation, diet and training is just fucking astounding.

Quote: (11-23-2017 03:17 PM)RawGod Wrote:  

Wasn't Eliot Rodger driven off the deep end by a heavy creatine cycle? Tread carefully friends.

Use your brain here my friend.

How many people take creatine? Pretty much every gym rat in the world.

How many murders are commited and attributed to creatine? Zero.

If it was a problem, pretty much every gym rat would be a mass murderer.

Elliot Rodgers was socially retarded and got way too butthurt cause he couldn't get any tail.

You're going to have high creatinine levels because you're taking creatine. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have anything wrong with your kidneys, although it wouldn't hurt to get it thoroughly checked out.

Creatine has been used safely for many many years. Besides occasional cramping and stomach upset I know of one report of something serious happening.

This person was taking creatine and competing in a BJJ tournament. They ended up collapsing from acute kidney failure and being rushed to the hospital. The doctors said that creatine supplementation was the cause.

I'm not sure I agree with their assessment and haven't heard of other cases like that one. Person claims they were totally hydrated and never had any kidney problems before.

Quote: (11-23-2017 04:08 PM)Neo Wrote:  

You're going to have high creatinine levels because you're taking creatine. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have anything wrong with your kidneys, although it wouldn't hurt to get it thoroughly checked out.

Creatine has been used safely for many many years. Besides occasional cramping and stomach upset I know of one report of something serious happening.

This person was taking creatine and competing in a BJJ tournament. They ended up collapsing from acute kidney failure and being rushed to the hospital. The doctors said that creatine supplementation was the cause.

I'm not sure I agree with their assessment and haven't heard of other cases like that one. Person claims they were totally hydrated and never had any kidney problems before.

Let's think about it. They sell creatine all over the place. Supp stores, grocery stores, gyms, ect..

If it really was halfway dangerous the FDA would have banned it just like they banned so many other things. But it's been out for years and years now.

This is not a pissing match, chill your ego out Mr Olympia. It was a reminder to let people know to monitor the body.

Probably not drinking enough water. While on creatine your intake should be upwards of 5 litres a day.

Your doctor may need to do an extra blood test as it may be a false positive, did you inform him you take creatine?

Quote: (11-23-2017 03:53 PM)Steelex Wrote:  

Quote: (11-23-2017 03:17 PM)RawGod Wrote:  

Use your brain here my friend.

How many people take creatine? Pretty much every gym rat in the world.

How many murders are commited and attributed to creatine? Zero.

If it was a problem, pretty much every gym rat would be a mass murderer.

Elliot Rodgers was socially retarded and got way too butthurt cause he couldn't get any tail.

I think he was joking

Hey guys, creatinine is a MARKER of kidney function. By this I mean that if elevated, it means your kidney is not filtering creatinine at the rate it should be normally. This is typically due to kidney injury, however, by taking in creatine, you will have more creatinine around to excrete. Therefore, the number may be elevated because more creatinine is present in the blood that needs to be excreted, but the kidneys may actually be functioning normally.