rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

My first Testosterone Results arrived...what next?

Background:
Though I have had been late in hitting puberty(external signs like facial and body hair) and never had a really high libido, after turning 35 and putting on high bodyfat noticed a decline is libido.
Last couple of years worked out regularly, fixed diet and now I am in best shape of my life at 40plus. Thought of getting my Testosterone checked for the first time in my life since the libido hasn't recovered much and last few pounds of fat are refusing to go away.

Results came,
Total Test at 5.73 ng/mL (570 ng/dL), range(1.75-7.81)
Free Test 17.46 pg/mL; range (3.84-34.17). Doctor said both were normal and didn't want to prescribe any TRT drugs.

I also did a full body medical at the same time and all tests are normal, including Vit D, Bone density(DEXA) and Prostrate.No advice from doctor except to reduce couple of kilograms of body fat.

Have seen some very experienced members here on TRT and protocols. Curious to know their opinion on the test results and if there is benefit with any suggested treatment.
I would love to get my libido back, stronger and more frequent erections and better performance with lifting. I might visit an antiaging doctor in Seattle area and see if one is willing to give a prescription.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks

Well with those results you'll be hard pressed to find a doc who would prescribe TRT. Its also hard to say how you'd feel at the higher end of normal. Might not be as much of an improvement as you would like.

There is so much more to how we feel and perform than just our testosterone levels. But it's a good starting point.

What was your vitamin d test result?

Hi Steelex

Total Vit D 62.78 ng/mL

The doctor disnt mention it but now I see that the thyroid tests seems bit out of range

T3 is 0.63 ng/mL, low, range(0.7-2.04)
T4 is high 10.53 range(4.6-10.5)
TSH 1.41, range(0.4-4.2)

I forgot to state that I have been trying to fast intermittently and mostly follow a Ketogenic diet in past few weeks.

The T3,T4 is probably result of that diet , also urine ketone 15.00 mg.dL

Your T4 is high and T3 is low, which means you're not concerning your T4 into T3.

Are you dieting hard or really stressed out?

Did they check your rT3?

What about your liver enzymes?

Just saw your post.

When your body goes into starvation mode, your T4 to T3 conversion comes to a grind, and some of that is converted into rT3 to bind to the receptor and prevent the T3 from working.

I'm not against keto but or IF but I think you may have shocked the body a little bit.

This is the problem with fasting and calorie reduction. Yes you'll burn fat by reducing nutrient intake, but you'll slow the metabolism too.

Hi Steelex

Good points indeed.
I am starting to add some carbs and more HIT from tomorrow.
That should fix the T3 issue.
However the core issues of libido, ED remains.

Have you gotten your estrogen (specifically estradiol) tested?

Even if your T levels are fine, if your estrogen is too high or too low, that can impact your libido.

If your E is high, take some zinc and eat more broccoli and oysters (raw is good), and maybe try some horny goat weed or gingko balboa, and see if that does the trick.

Also, libido and ED are two different things. Libido deals with sexual interest -- you can have libido AND you can have ED at the same time. ED is caused by several different factors... could be performance anxiety, could be stress, could be too much drinking, could be a lack of nitric oxide in your bloodstream (it dilates blood vessels making the penis erect), could be something as simple as trying to have sex too soon after a heavy meal.

Research foods high in nitric oxide (hint: garlic) and add them to your diet along with extra carbs.