rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hypertension at 21.

Hypertension at 21.

I have recently been diagnosed with Hypertension with the average reading in the 160’s over 80’s I.e 160/80. I used the search function only to find that another user in a similar demographic to myself concluded that his salt intake was to high, and I did not intend to bump an old thread. I would like to use the wealth of knowledge here on the forum to see if anyone can provide opinions, or ideas. My intent is to find an alternative route to medicine, the side effects are highly unfavorable, and are known to negatively effect sex drive etc… nothing a 20 something wants in his life.

-21 Y/o Male
-Lean, I never Smoke or Drink or any other drugs.
-All labs to date have been returned as normal
-I cannot exercise until my baseline BP returns to a more normal level, however I walk frequently. (I’m in the Military)
-Tend to stay away from unhealthy foods, but in some deployed environments I have no choice but to eat toxic MRE’s
-Otherwise no diagnosed Health Problems, High BP runs in my family, but not at this age.

I appreciate any and all opinions and advice.

Thank you.

Hypertension at 21.

You need to see a doctor my friend to help find the cause. Could totally just be genetic though.

The sooner you fix the issue the less long term damage it does.

Hypertension at 21.

I was diagnosed with hypertension in my early 30s (I'm 46 now). It runs in my family, too, on my mother's side. Attempts to control it with exercise and diet failed me. I wound up on daily Lisinopril, which is cheap and has no major side effects, and that knocked my BP down to safe/normal levels.

I don't really find it a big deal to pop a pill along with my supplements in the morning. I was in the Guard when diagnosed, and it didn't prevent me from doing anything with the Army, including deploying to Afghanistan. I would try to avoid the diuretics, like hydrochlorothiazide, that are sometimes prescribed for hypertension. Pissing every hour (or every beer!) is an inconvenience.

If you can reduce your BP naturally, great, but taking a daily tablet beats the hell out of the many health problems that hypertension can cause.

Hypertension at 21.

I was diagnosed with hypertension (160/85) when I was 15 and got it down to (below) normal in three years without meds. Weighed 118 pounds at 5'8".

The doctor said to keep an eye on it and do the following:

1. decrease salt and carbonated drinks
2. increase water consumption
3. get into an endurance sport

Well it worked and I got back down to a healthy level. So perhaps try those? I know you said you don't eat much junk food, but make sure to check the sodium. Everything seems to have sodium nowadays.

Also, my doctor mentioned doctor office anxiety subconsciously causing a spike in blood pressure. Did the doctor perform a stress test (riding a bicycle, walking on a treadmill) to measure your blood pressure?

Hypertension at 21.

- How exactly where you diagnosed with hypertension? In young people, it is advisable to put on a 24 hour BP monitor to see what the average blood pressure is like over the day.

- What blood tests have you done? There are very specific tests that are done in young people with hypertension.

Most young people have white coat hypertension, high blood pressure due to being nervous when in front of a doctor. The 24 hour measurement should clear up whether it is that or not.

Most routine blood tests are useless for hypertension, especially for young people, a very specific workup is required.

In terms of ways to control your blood pressure, I'll pm you a link to watch.

Hypertension at 21.

You should be having this conversation with your MO.

Hypertension at 21.

FWIW, the first number is sometimes elevated in athletes naturally, it's the second number (the dystolic) which is the killer, and yours is pretty normal.

Hypertension at 21.

On sodium :

"zero/diet/light" soft drinks make up for the lack of sugar with an obscene hike in sodium.
Verify it! Grab a coke and and a coke zero next time you are doing groceries and check the nutritional info.

We move between light and shadow, mutually influencing and being influenced through shades of gray...

Hypertension at 21.

Might be genetic and you'll have to take meds.

I had a nutrition prof, a very smart, Asperger type of guy who knew his stuff say he had a colleague back in the day who was super healthy and just inherited high blood pressure. And this was a nutrition professor saying it.

So adapt your diet, but it could just be genetic, like MikeInRealLife.

All that said, to Thomas's point, blood pressure can be highly variable based on your mood and anxiety (even when it's not obvious to you). I wouldn't go on meds until you're sure.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Hypertension at 21.

HBP does run in my Family, but never at this age, even in comparison to the general population. My Doctor perused my medical records for the past three years and never was a reading above 137/80, with a sudden increase in July of this Year to the 150-160 range. I have acknowledged it may Be Genetic And I must consider medication, however my current medication is known for killing libido, and that’s a no go, I will definitely consider more medications after exhausting natural resources. I am very grateful for your responses and look forward to more.

-I only drink water, with the occasional Gatorade/Powerade

-I have noticed at certain points in the day, and without medication my BP normalizes, But my symptoms remain.

Thanks again.