rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

John Carpenter's The Thing

One of my favorite movies but I'm curious what the manosphere thinks. Is it a masculine film?

I bet if they were to remake it they'd give it the Ghostbusters treatment for sure.

It was in fact remade, in 2011.

Good film. It's from the era where horror films relied on suspense and mystery, not just shock value.

Kurt Russel and John Carpenter actually had a nice little run together. Escape From NY, Escape From LA, and Big Trouble in Little China are all awesome as well (and masculine).

Damn good movie.

Definitely one of the stand outs in the Horror genre during the 1980's.

I would say the 1982 Carpenter film is a guy movie. Absolutely. The 2011 prequel isn't. A surprise to no one, Hollywood brought in a female lead, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was as in your face, and obviously pushing a femnist agenda, as the remake of Ghostbusters obviously was trying to do and failed at.

Quote: (10-21-2017 07:08 PM)Arminius Wrote:  

With a female star.

It has a superb soundtrack, Morricone's best work from his later period, check out this track:

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

Quote: (10-21-2017 07:26 PM)DarkTriad Wrote:  

With a female star.

Which demonstrates how film making is no longer what it used to be or what it can be.

For the "prequel / sequel", they had a more finely tuned industry.
Much better technology.
The '82 film to draw from as well as all the commentary & fan love thereof.
All the time in the world to craft an amazing movie. As the eventual 2011 Thing movie could just as easily have been released in 2012 or 2013.
No one was demanding another Thing movie in 2010.
Yet despite all the cards being in their favour, they still botched the 2011 film...

You can't get any more red pill and masculine than motherfucking Kurt Russell.

Bad ass film just goes to show the difference between using creativity vs CGI these days, Alien/s was another example.

I liked the prequel but not near as much as the first....its such a shame they had real design/effects but it got cut for CGI.

10/10 for the bloopers/fuckups in this clip too! (screaming/costume change etc)

If you like Carpenter's The Thing, you should definitely watch The Void. Minimal CGI, excellent makeup, and dreadful atmosphere make it a great horror flick.

The 2011 film is a prequel to the 1982 film. The 2011 film tells the story of what happened at the previous science station. The 1982 film is actually a remake of the 1951 film. The Thing is played by James Arness.

The original was just awesome. One of my favorite films of all time. I'm sure any remake will be changed into "The Thing That Cucks."

"Action still preserves for us a hope that we may stand erect." - Thucydides (from History of the Peloponnesian War)

Quote: (10-21-2017 07:45 PM)hedonist Wrote:  

Bad ass film just goes to show the difference between using creativity vs CGI these days, Alien/s was another example.

I liked the prequel but not near as much as the first....its such a shame they had real design/effects but it got cut for CGI.

It's the small visceral things in old films, the randomness that doesn't look choreographed, the hot wire being screeched against the plate rising the tension.
The way natural GOOD flat lightning was used, like how most humans view reality when digital colour manipulation couldn't willy nilly be used as a way to stitch up an atmosphere and tone.

Predator and the original hard edged Terminator (1984) are my other two favourite films. James Cameron had little to no money then was no name and he was better for, it creating such a damn good film with great themes such as how to confront your inevitable death/destiny and maybe the human race how to prepare for that in the meantime and he never dived into ecological bollix. Michael Biehn was such a great actor with masculine presence and yet didn't have a meat-head like look at all, more Steve McQueen in a sense.

As an side note example, Mad Max 2 looks like an apocalypse road chase through Australia. Fury Road they just couldn't help themselves.

The behind the scenes b-roll is what I have preferred it to look like (not that it would have made up for the poor enough film) and it undoes all the great practical effects caking it in a comic book filter.

It's pretty great. The 1950s original isn't bad either. Or that PlayStation game released in the early 2000s.

Quote: (10-21-2017 08:25 PM)Syberpunk Wrote:  

It's the small visceral things in old films, the randomness that doesn't look choreographed, the hot wire being screeched against the plate rising the tension.
The way natural GOOD flat lightning was used, like how most humans view reality when digital colour manipulation couldn't willy nilly be used as a way to stitch up an atmosphere and tone.

Predator and the original hard edged Terminator (1984) are my other two favourite films. James Cameron had little to no money then was no name and he was better for, it creating such a damn good film with great themes such as how to confront your inevitable death/destiny and maybe the human race how to prepare for that in the meantime and he never dived into ecological bollix. Michael Biehn was such a great actor with masculine presence and yet didn't have a meat-head like look at all, more Steve McQueen in a sense.

As an side note example, Mad Max 2 looks like an apocalypse road chase through Australia. Fury Road they just couldn't help themselves.

The behind the scenes b-roll is what I have preferred it to look like (not that it would have made up for the poor enough film) and it undoes all the great practical effects caking it in a comic book filter.

That's a great analogy. The scene where Reese gets the drop on the Terminator in the dance club with his sawed-off shotgun is an iconic scene. By the way I had thing for Sarah Conner back in the day. Hahaha.

Quote: (10-21-2017 08:52 PM)Long Haired Samson Wrote:  

That's a great analogy. The scene where Reese gets the drop on the Terminator in the dance club with his sawed-off shotgun is an iconic scene. By the way I had thing for Sarah Conner back in the day. Hahaha.

So satisfying how visceral the original two were, great soundtracks as well
Good taste! Linda Hamilton was fit as hell and cute in T1. Definitely doable.

Also I've had a thing for the other Sarah Connor, Lena Headey for years.
I'm guessing she'd be pure filth...[Image: tard.gif]
[Image: a02a439aa1c197b6e9e5b628c5bbdcea.jpg]

Quote: (10-21-2017 09:41 PM)Syberpunk Wrote:  

I'm guessing she's be pure filth...[Image: tard.gif]

That was a good TV show. It was on a TV budget so it couldn't rely on fancy CGI to super expensive special effects. I wish the show had continued. Lena Headey in 300...Yes! Sadly Linda Hamilton has aged horribly. For only being 61 she looks like the walking dead. I wonder if she's a heavy smoker? Her voice sounded much deeper in the second Terminator film.

Quote: (10-21-2017 08:37 PM)stugatz Wrote:  

It's pretty great. The 1950s original isn't bad either. Or that PlayStation game released in the early 2000s.

I have the game (released in 2002) on PC (bought my copy in 2007 and had it ever since), but haven't really gotten around to playing it. Maybe I should watch the film first then play the game.

,,Я видел, куда падает солнце!
Оно уходит сквозь постель,
В глубокую щель!"
-Андрей Середа, ,,Улица чужих лиц", 1989 г.

Unless you're at the Marvel film level & can incorporate the best of CGI.
CGI is definitely a case of less is more.

The Thing is my absolute favorite horror movie, and gets my vote as the best horror movie of all time.

Very few movies combine the level of suspense, suspicion, and paranoia as The Thing to create a horror experience that's engaging in every scene, even when nothing is happening on the surface, you're always asking yourself "who's the Thing?

And as far as masculine movies, there's not a single female in the film, I don't think you can get much more masculine than that [Image: tongue.gif]

One of my favorite horror movies. All male cast so no romantic subplots just a simple but effective plot about paranoia and a sweet ass monster. Who is the monster, it could be anybody and luckily it wasn't able to spread. Although having the thing spread to a populated continent would be a sweet movie.

The creature inspired pretty much every monster in Resident Evil series as well.

Quote: (10-21-2017 09:57 PM)Long Haired Samson Wrote:  

Quote: (10-21-2017 09:41 PM)Syberpunk Wrote:  

I'm guessing she's be pure filth...[Image: tard.gif]

That was a good TV show. It was on a TV budget so it couldn't rely on fancy CGI to super expensive special effects. I wish the show had continued. Lena Headey in 300...Yes! Sadly Linda Hamilton has aged horribly. For only being 61 she looks like the walking dead. I wonder if she's a heavy smoker? Her voice sounded much deeper in the second Terminator film.

She's a smoker no doubt about it, She still looked good in pictures from the 90's but I'm guessing the gym physique and get up made her look more...severe. That and the fact she has bipolar disorder (you don't say Hollywood?!) and getting divorced from James Cameron, she never has to work a day again. All caught up with her.

Quote: (10-21-2017 10:18 PM)CynicalContrarian Wrote:  

Unless you're at the Marvel film level & can incorporate the best of CGI.
CGI is definitely a case of less is more.

This man has done a very even handed dissection (talks about propaganda too) of what works and doesn't work in films post 2000 or so, long but worth it. There are some points that I rarely have heard mentioned else.

Quote: (10-21-2017 08:14 PM)Long Haired Samson Wrote:  

The 2011 film is a prequel to the 1982 film. The 2011 film tells the story of what happened at the previous science station. The 1982 film is actually a remake of the 1951 film. The Thing is played by James Arness.

Both of which were adaptations of John Campbell's 1938 short story "Who Goes There?". Which in turn was arguably derived from Lovecraft's novel "At the Mountains of Madness". Which was inspired by the accounts of the Heroic Age Antarctic expeditions.

It's adaptations and derivatives all the way down!

(Campbell's story is a great read, by the way. As is Lovecraft's. As are the accounts of the Ant/Arctic explorers - some bad-ass dudes on those expeditions. Who needs movies?)

Quote: (10-21-2017 10:44 PM)KeepMovingForward Wrote:  

The Thing is my absolute favorite horror movie, and gets my vote as the best horror movie of all time.

Very few movies combine the level of suspense, suspicion, and paranoia as The Thing to create a horror experience that's engaging in every scene, even when nothing is happening on the surface, you're always asking yourself "who's the Thing?

And as far as masculine movies, there's not a single female in the film, I don't think you can get much more masculine than that [Image: tongue.gif]

The scene where the doctor is giving giving the alien infested guy CPR, then his chest opens up and bites the doctor's arms off freaked me out for years!