rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Supercarb: Farro

I'll drop this one here and make it short and sweet.

1/4 cup uncooked Farro

150 calories
34 grams of carbohydrates
7–8 grams fiber
7–8 grams protein
1 gram sugar
1 gram fat
4 milligrams niacin (15 percent DV)
60 milligrams magnesium (15 percent DV)
2 milligrams iron (10 percent DV)
0.2 milligrams thiamine (10 percent DV)
2 milligrams zinc (10 percent DV)

Glycemic Index of 40.

So just by looking at it, we can see that Farro is a great choice from a carb stand point. One of the benefits is that you can prep big batches of it in advance. I've been eating it for breakfast lately with my eggs, I just cook it with honey, cinnamon, vanilla extract, almond slices, and a little splenda. You can easily portion it out into Tupperware and it will stay good for 3-4 days.

It's fairly fibrous so you can expect to drop some fluffy logs on this stuff. In addition, it's a slow digesting grain so you can pair it with your protein of choice for a slow and steady release into the blood stream. That's a good way to get more use out of what you're ingesting.

You could compare it to brown rice, but it typically has far more protein, fiber and minerals than brown rice.

Cons of farro:
Uncommon, have to go to specialty stores to get it, which makes it expensive, because everything is expensive at Whole Foods and the like.
Time consuming--takes 45 minutes to cook.

Alternative:
Buckwheat. Can be gotten at Russian delis for $3 a box of 10 packets. If your town has Whole Foods, it likely has a Russian deli.
It even comes in quick-cook packets, cooks in 10 min. It also tastes good, which Americans don't realize and dismiss the grain.

For 1/4 Cup (2 oz):

192 Calories
40 g Carbohydrate
5.6 g Fiber
0 g Sugars
7.4 g Protein
2 g Fat
4 mg Niacin (20 percent DV)
129.4 mg Magnesium (32 percent DV)
1.2 mg Iron (6 percent DV)
0.08 mg Thiamine (4 percent DV)
1.4 mg Zinc (8 percent DV)

[Image: 22016749.jpg]

I am afraid that women appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters all the same. They love being dominated.
--Oscar Wilde

You can get it at the regular grocery store around here, and I live in the southeast US, not the whole foods capital of the US.

Its like 6 bucks for a bag, and tastes better than buckwheat.