rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Company not paying deserved bonus

Have been working for a company for the past 3 years. Every year i have exceeded my target by 15-20%. Base salary is average and most of the money comes from bonuses. These are paid out at the end of the year and split into individual and team. If the team do not hit target then you just lose what is half a years salary straight away. This year I again will have exceeded target whilst the team as a whole will be no where near target. I have lost my team bonus and not been offered a raise just a tough luck try again next year.

What would you guys do in a similar situation?

Job market where I am is currently very tough, have applied to a bunch of jobs but no bites as of yet. Obviously if I do get a better opportunity set up then I will leave with no issues. But how would you turn this around at the current company in order to improve the situation?

Quote: (08-24-2017 10:59 PM)mvp Wrote:  

Job market where I am is currently very tough, have applied to a bunch of jobs but no bites as of yet.

Move.

The current policy exists so that the company can avoid paying out big bonuses and will only do so if results are extraordinarily good overall.

This isn't going to change, unless you're making them so much money that you cannot be easily replaced and they are better served by negotiating with you than losing you entirely.

However, that scenario is unlikely to play out, because if they give in to you, they'll have to give into a ton of other top performers and they won't be able to enjoy the same profits their current policy is designed to ensure.

I'm the King of Beijing!

I agree with Suits. Companies usually are quite aware of the job market out there. They give raises and submit to demands in times where they have trouble finding qualified people.

There is frankly not much you can do unless the general situation changes. Even if you have a better offer elsewhere - they may not budge an inch. Keep your head down - work on additional businesses and enterprises that may give you additional income - may even make you independent from it later on.

Stop exceeding expectations and use the extra time to learn a new skill, find a new job, build a company, etc.

Dont work so hard for nothing extra.
You can be forgiven for doing an amazong job at first because you expect some kind of bonus, but they've shown you that it's not coming at all.
Save you the extra energy and put in into learning a new skill that can make you money on the side.
Stack that money.
Then look for a similar job in a city with a much better job market.
Once you find another job just quit.
Give notice if you MUST but otherwise forget that job and that pay structure.
Use the money you've been stacking up to set you up in the new city ie. rent, furniture.

I'm not sure what industries you guys are in, but I've had no issues finding new jobs.

I sent out a random cold app a few weeks ago and was contacted very quickly (surprising, I know) by the companies.

If the job market is bad in your city get up and move.

If you are so good at your job and worth more money....

Get another higher paying job or better yet, then start your own business and set your own salary.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the comments and advice!

Just wanted to update this and pose one new question:

I spoke with the company plus my colleagues to ensure they knew how the system was not benefiting anyone but the company. I´m pleased to say the company caved and we now get paid all our bonus on an individual basis as long as the salesperson hits their individual target for the month (huge improvement on not relying on the team plus getting paid a monthly bonus instead of yearly).

Now for the second question. I have another personal meeting with the CEO to discuss an extra bonus given to those who have surpassed their target for this year. As I mentioned I am the only one in this position and the extra bonus would be around US$8,000. The caveat for this bonus was similar to the team bonus in that you have to surpass your individual target plus the team has to achieve a minimum of 90% of their target before this bonus is applied.

First of all the target set this year for the team was ridiculously high hence why out of 10 of us I am the only one to have exceeded the target and this includes my boss! We will fall short by a few % of the 90% so I am meeting to fight for my extra bonus to be paid. How would you approach this, i would rather not take a threatening approach but just be able to discuss in a rational manner?

Again all comments appreciated because the advice on here is usually gold dust!

Many thanks in advance, the meeting is early next week.

If you're really that good, you should consider moving out and leveraging that skill set somewhere else. Period.