rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The alcoholism epidemic.

The alcoholism epidemic.

Good Read

The most fascinating part of this study is the massive rise in alcoholism among women. Unfortunately, this doesn't surprise me. Along with the massive rise in anti-depressant use by women, the modern lifestyle, with all its freedoms, luxuries, and creature comforts, seems to be taking a toll on the pyschie and emotional well-being of the average woman in the U.S. Yuppie Beer-leagues (softball, kickball, shit like that) used to be filled primarily with recently out of college kids, but every girl I know pushing 40 and single is in one of these, still bar hopping on the weekends and once during the work week.

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

The alcoholism epidemic.

I'm pretty bored of bars already and i'm only 22 (from the UK), don't know how you can be pushing 40 and go every week.

The alcoholism epidemic.

Nothing from vox is a good read but at least info is interesting. They try to blame white people for rise in inner city drunks. A lot of this has to do with eroded social pressure to not be viewed as a lush. Instead women are tripping over each other to post how they drank three bottles of wine for dinner.

"Boy ya'll want power, God I hope you never get it." -Senator Graham

The alcoholism epidemic.

Quote: (08-12-2017 07:46 AM)Conquerer7 Wrote:  

I'm pretty bored of bars already and i'm only 22 (from the UK), don't know how you can be pushing 40 and go every week.

There is nothing else to do at night unless you're into movies, opera, theatre or TV or the internet.

I stoped going out a lot because I'm saving but theres very little that interests me on the night scene here.

The alcoholism epidemic.

I only skimmed but I couldn't really grasp it as much of a bigger problem now than say 10-20 years ago. Does this even compare with the opiate epidemic?

The alcoholism epidemic.

Two points on this study:

(1) Understand that psychiatry and medicine have arguably no place in defining what is a disease and what is not.

(2) Given what they are said to have done with the data, I would have been surprised if they hadn't found increased alcohol use among ethnic minorities, etc, etc. The study itself indicates that both the 2001 and 2013 surveys on which these results compiled the results with...

Quote:Quote:

...black, Asian or Pacific Islander, and Hispanic individuals oversampled.

But of course, according to the survey:

Data were adjusted for oversampling and nonresponse and were weighted to represent the US civilian population based on the 2012 American Community Survey.

Okay; how? Ahhhh, no data there or explanation of how the weighting was done; only the standard get-out clause that somebody else approved the way they did it.

That said, there is one result in here that doesn't surprise me:

Older adults have had consistently lower rates than others of alcohol use, high-risk drinking, and AUD over the past 40 years. However, between 2001-2002 and 2012-2013, increases in alcohol use (22.4%), high-risk drinking (65.2%), and AUD (106.7%) among older adults were substantial and unprecedented relative to earlier surveys.

"Older adults" by the statistics is anyone over the age of 65. We know they didn't follow up the same people. In 2001-2, being over 65 meant you were the tail end of the Greatest Generation, born in the 1940s. In 2013, the "over 65" contingent of the survey sample would be smack-bang in the middle of the Baby Boomers, born in the 1950s.

Between the 30-64 year olds of the two surveys -- i.e. Gen X through to the youngest Baby Boomers -- the increase in alcoholism is about half that, i.e. 11% or so. It's least in anyone under 18. Same pattern holds for high-risk drinking and AUD: the Baby Boomers lead the charge in drinking oneself to death.

Let me remind you that the Baby Boomers were the generation that had convinced itself it had solved the world's problems with narcissism and consumerism. These guys created "Spending the Kids' Inheritance."

Let's also consider the significance of something else here. Prior to the first of these two surveys (collected between April 2001 and June 2002), older adults had consistently lower rates of alcohol use.

Add to that that alcohol is frequently a coping mechanism, a way of getting to blot out reality, to make you "more sociable", make you better able to connect with other people.

Let us wonder:could this massive increase in alcoholism be down to coping with the impact of one event?

Was there some event between April 2001 and April 2014 that could possibly prompt large swathes of people to decide heavy alcohol consumption was more preferable than facing the world as it is?

Surely not. That couldn't happen, not to Americans. What event could have occurred on such a scale as to render so many people powerless, so confronted with their mortality and purposelessness of their existence, to make a wholesale plunge into alcoholic oblivion more attractive -- to not one but two generations?

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

The alcoholism epidemic.

Quote: (08-12-2017 08:37 AM)Foolsgo1d Wrote:  

Quote: (08-12-2017 07:46 AM)Conquerer7 Wrote:  

There is nothing else to do at night unless you're into movies, opera, theatre or TV or the internet.

I stoped going out a lot because I'm saving but theres very little that interests me on the night scene here.

Sports, reading, cooking then a drink at the nearby deli, working, spending time with family/friends/my main, long walks, and the occasional lounge/dance rave/low key concert come to mind for me.

The alcoholism epidemic.

Quote: (08-12-2017 09:27 AM)Paracelsus Wrote:  

Was there some event between April 2001 and April 2014 that could possibly prompt large swathes of people to decide heavy alcohol consumption was more preferable than facing the world as it is?

Surely not. That couldn't happen, not to Americans. What event could have occurred on such a scale as to render so many people powerless, so confronted with their mortality and purposelessness of their existence, to make a wholesale plunge into alcoholic oblivion more attractive -- to not one but two generations?

Huh? You think this alcohol drinking has to do with 11 September? Makes no sense.

I don't know one American (and I know many) that now feels "purposelessness of their existence and powerless" everyday and throughout life, because of that attack, sending them to drink in mass groups. Most don't even think of it except on the date to commemorate.

Or maybe I am reading your intention wrong.

The alcoholism epidemic.

A lot of Western college-age girls are drinking like crazy, it's one of their lame "just trying to be one of the guys" behaviors. Whether or not that qualifies as alcoholism I don't know - but it sure damages them long-term (white women especially).

The alcoholism epidemic.

Quote: (08-12-2017 01:52 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote:  

A lot of Western college-age girls are drinking like crazy, it's one of their lame "just trying to be one of the guys" behaviors. Whether or not that qualifies as alcoholism I don't know - but it sure damages them long-term (white women especially).

Women are guzzling huge amounts of cheap wine every day. Idiots think red wine is good for you. Ya right.

The alcoholism epidemic.

This is a major reason why you see so many chubby young women these days. Unless a girl is intentionally strict about her diet and drinking habits, it's almost certain that she'll be carrying at least at extra 10-15 lbs. by her early twenties. This is widespread even among attractive women, who are able to get away with it because obesity standards have fallen so far in recent years. There's a ton of 5s and 6s running around who should be 7s or 8s if they had their shit together (or more accurately, if they gave a shit - which they don't because they simpy don't have to in today's sexual market defined by rampant female obesity and infinite female sexual empowerment through social media/dating apps).

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

The alcoholism epidemic.

Yes especially women who have a 2-3 beers/day habit, more calories per drink and the hops boost their estrogen.

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

The alcoholism epidemic.

Women are now taking on the bad traits from men in generations past (drinking too much, eating too much). The only thing is that tiny hearts and tiny livers don't keep up at the same rate and now you are seeing women drop dead from heart attacks at 40, and drinking themselves into ulcers by 30.

Any woman I know who does drink, drinks at an alarming amount many times per week. Wine and cocktails all the time, and the food and snacks that surrounds them all the time as well.

It would be great to do an honest survey on liqour consumption, with food added in to just get an idea of how much extra booze and food young women are hitting back.

The alcoholism epidemic.

15 years ago college girls drank a lot to socially bond at parties.
Now they drink way more than a lot, on their own, just to get drunk.

The alcoholism epidemic.

The pharmaceutical industry markets heavily to women for a reason. The 'progressive' solution for women is making them miserable.

The alcoholism epidemic.

I'd be an alcoholic too if I was a 40 year old single woman who works in front of a computer for a boss 9-5 while simultaneously thinking I'm a strong independent woman and therefore any man would be lucky to have me.

The alcoholism epidemic.

Quote: (08-12-2017 05:30 PM)scorpion Wrote:  

This is a major reason why you see so many chubby young women these days. Unless a girl is intentionally strict about her diet and drinking habits, it's almost certain that she'll be carrying at least at extra 10-15 lbs. by her early twenties. This is widespread even among attractive women, who are able to get away with it because obesity standards have fallen so far in recent years. There's a ton of 5s and 6s running around who should be 7s or 8s if they had their shit together (or more accurately, if they gave a shit - which they don't because they simpy don't have to in today's sexual market defined by rampant female obesity and infinite female sexual empowerment through social media/dating apps).

In addition there are some scientific opinions out there that women should not drink at all or very sparingly before they have born the children. The reason is that alcohol contrary to popular opinion permeates every part of the body and of course they don't have an ever regenerating number of sperms like we do - their supply is already present. If they have 17 years of drinking before they have the first kid at age 35, then that does not bode well for the child.

The alcoholism epidemic.

I've found it to be incredibly difficult to find a woman in this day and age that doesn't drink. I've learned the hard way that getting involved with a female alcoholic is a recipe for disaster. Alcohol is to estrogen what oily rags are to open flame.

Still, it's hard to completely knock alcohol. It can provide a bit of "liquid courage" to help in your approaches and allow women to get out of their own way and allow themselves to be more easily seduced, which obviously can be a double-edge sword.

I've heard it said that "alcohol makes for a great servant but a horrible master," and I think it's true. Use it but don't let it use you. Don't depend on it like a crutch. Treat it like using spices on your food -- a dash here and there can add flavor, but too much ruins the taste of the whole dish.

The alcoholism epidemic.

I read this article separate from RVF and immediately thought of the forum's response. Alcohol/foodie culture, especially in major cities, can be considered a death bane to traditional LTR/marriage. Women in their teens with a no money, a fast metabolism and tons of spare time can drink, work out, and shed the excess weight. Not so much when she gets her first 9-5 and chalks up her biweekly paycheck on happy hour and dinner for her Snapchat.

Speaking for myself, it takes an incredible amount of effort to stay in single digit body fat. Regimented diet, regular workouts, 8 hours of sleep, no alcohol, only occasional eating out. The majority of women that I've seen have no discipline with their diet, are boozing late into their 20's/30's, and doing 50 calorie yoga classes as their "workout"

A lot of these girls are just continuing their college sorority life, just with more money and less time. I always hear elder women claim that women mature faster than men. I don't know what the hell they are talking about-most of the early-mid twenties guys in NYC are busting ass at a combination of school/work/gym because they realize early that a 60k PR job isn't gonna but it for the rest of their lives.

The alcoholism epidemic.

First of all, I absolutely hate it when people call things like an "epidemic." I don't become an alcoholic by simply touching another alcoholic. People in the modern world have absolutely no idea what a real epidemic is. Go back to 1917-8 and look at the flu epidemic--that was the last one.

I don't doubt that alcoholism is on the rise, however. Women are learning something that men have known for a long time--work sucks. People are also looking for escapes from the collapse of America. Back where I am from, they are turning to harder drugs. Overdoes are on the rise. In some counties in Eastern Kentucky, life expectancy has dropped.

Unfortunately, the article thinks government can solve this problem. It can't.

During the Depression of the 1930's, people had strong and stable families. That helped people survive the hard times emotionally. We no longer have that. So, it's no surprise that people are engaging in self-destructive behavior like this.

The alcoholism epidemic.

I like to polish off a bottle of good wine with dinner, 3-4 times per week.

That is all.

I like when the girl can't drink as much. That way I get 60-70% of the wine, instead of half.

Makes a big difference on a nice bottle of Brunello.

The alcoholism epidemic.

I was seeing a chick recently, I kicked her out of rotation though. Career chick, late 20s, makes good money. Every time we hung out, she paid, which was nice, but didn't do anything for me attraction wise obviously.

Could have been a 7.5 easy. Great face. Good proportions. Just dumpy. Way too much extra weight on her. I'd tell her I'm in bed by midnight so I can go to the gym the next day and she'd just give me a blank stare like she'd never heard that word before..."gym".

Last time we hung out we split a bottle of wine. 2 glasses each. Before going back to her place, she ordered another bottle just for herself, that she drank by herself. Then proceeded to hit a vape pen.

This wasn't drinking for fun. This is hardcore medicating. Unbelievable turnoff. Her apartment kitchen counter was covered with bags of chips and other junk food. Bitch had no shame. I couldn't believe it. How many men had she fucked and none of them cared? Nobody says anything to her. Maybe I should have, I dunno. This is the end result of not putting constraints on women. Not necessarily them running wild, but them living like hapless children.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

The alcoholism epidemic.

Quote: (08-12-2017 11:06 PM)kosko Wrote:  

Women are now taking on the bad traits from men in generations past (drinking too much, eating too much). The only thing is that tiny hearts and tiny livers don't keep up at the same rate and now you are seeing women drop dead from heart attacks at 40, and drinking themselves into ulcers by 30.

Any woman I know who does drink, drinks at an alarming amount many times per week. Wine and cocktails all the time, and the food and snacks that surrounds them all the time as well.

It would be great to do an honest survey on liqour consumption, with food added in to just get an idea of how much extra booze and food young women are hitting back.

Throw in the psychiatric meds that at least 25% of them are prescribed (to say nothing of the ones using such meds illegally) and you don't need to be a doctor to imagine what that and the associated behavior (rampant promiscuity and STDs) does to their reproductive capacities, health and longevity.

I don't know how any young western guy can be thirsty enough to look past all that shit and still chase them.

The alcoholism epidemic.

My brother is 18 and I think he's an alcoholic. He drinks so much. Listens to no one. Nothing influences him. Don't know what to do. Any ideas?

The alcoholism epidemic.

I come from country, that is number one in beer consumption.

My father has been alcoholic since his teens, looks like homelless and is unable to live normal live. It´s surprise, that he is still alive.
My mother has also problem with alcohol, she goes for beer almost everyday, especially now, when there´s nice weather. She is very upset, when she can´t. It´s her only hobby.
My friends I grew up with do have big problems with alcohol. I am speaking about guys in age range 25-30. It´s mostly weekend fun and they are living normal lives, but the only thing they actually do care is having litres of beer on weekend. It´s normal to live like this at this age, but what´s going to happen to them in future, I don´t know. I even know guys, who are in extreme phase of alcohol problem by their 30.
The same sticks to 80% people around.

I am currently working in job, where you come to contact with hundreds of people per day. You can recognize which of them drink or smoke. It does change your body radically. It´s not so obvious, when they are young, but the older you are, the more it´s visible.

I am not saint in this. I am sometimes drinking and get drunk and I was quite heavy drinking between 18-20. But I grew older and I know, that this fun can´t last forever. I understand, that alhocol is a poison, if not moderated. And I understand, that you must be very strong to control it. Once you have doubts or alcohol parties become your standard for each weekend, run away. Alcohol can make you waste your life away.

"Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."